PML Bull Puppy 3" kit

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Just bought the Bull Puppy 3" kit. I always wanted this kit so I bought tonight from WM along with a couple motor adapters (A2938 and A3854) and a 38P retainer for the kit.

I never built PML kit. but from what I have heard they well made. Should be fun! :)

I read the FAQ's on the QT and it seems to be a very stout airframe.

Two things to enhance you building experience:
1. If still part of the kit, replace the underwear elastic with 3/8" or 1/2" tubular nylon ...
2. If you intend to use the piston, make sure it slides down the body tube freely, under it's own weight... If not, sand the dickens out of it until it does... I have known a few with core sample problems related to stuck pistons...Also, install the piston with the bulk plate facing the motor ejection, just like a recip engine piston...

The Puppy is a great kit and fly's great also. I have one to rebuild as it was destroyed by clumsy foot destruction... I'm replacing the busted airframe with a piece of G-10 I happen to have from another project...OTH, I may just order a piece of the new thin wall tubing...That stuff is nice..

Great kit, I love mine. Like Fred said, before you glue anything decide how you want it, retainer type and position will be limited once that MMT is assembled. I used the GLR slimline retainer for mine and it looks great. I also left out the piston and turned it into a dual deploy. If you are going to two-part faom the boat-tail do in two or three small pours as one big pour will cause the poly whatever the boat-tail is made from to expand where it meets the fins. Also the stock decals bite, Mark at StickerShock has a much nicer set.

Have fun and post some build pics.

Oh and one other thing, I would mount the nylon harness differently if I had to do it again. I would stil glue it to the MMT, but I would first sew on a shock cord protector then glue it in. I did this afterwards and it was a big pain. I also cut shock cord down so it's just short length with a sewn loop on the end that I can hook into with my harness. Makes for less hassles when maintaining it, instead of the shock cord rolling around inside.

Please post pictures of the build. This is one of my favorite rocket designs. I want to build one of my own some day. Let us know how to use a retainer that keeps the rocket as true to scale as possible.

My buddy has one of these. Nice kit and a pretty bird!

A couple of things to mention.

First. the standard 36" chute that it comes with is fine. Not sure if I would go any larger or change the style to anything that would keep it in the air longer like a flare chute.

Second, this is a tough bird! I don't think you need to add expanding foam to anchor the rear fins. Good epoxy fillets (we add milled glass) and the G-10 fins and Quantum tubing is a solid combination. I have seen many PML birds bounce off the playa when their chutes or pistons had a failure or separation. Most live to fly again with just some chipped paint!

Third, if you are going with the piston, double the length of the cord attaching it to the rocket. The standard length tends to snap back and bust the piston at ejection.

Have fun!

Jerome :)

Back