How would you mount your John Carter theatrical cardbaord cutout??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huxter

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I picked up this John Carter theatrical free-standing cardboard cutout that is 6 feet high and 12 feet wide for free! I just happen to have a newly finished 3rd car garage wall that is too bare and too white! I plan to tape this 3-piece cutout together, then mount it at the top of the wall pictured.

I have trimmed off all parts of the stand. The cutout is the pic only - no molding/edging at all.

I'd like this too look great 10, 20... years from now. Questions:

1- What tape to use to tape these together, that won't peel years from now?

2- Would you add some kind of trim/edging around this?

3- What to use to mount? Thinking along the lines of plastic anchors in Sheetrock, then screws with big (plastic?) washers on outside (colored black?) on every corner of the 3 sections??

4- Any way to protect it - maybe from (sheetrock) dust, things that will eventually get leaned against it (I have a small shell!)?

All comments / suggestions welcomed!

Thanks in advance,
Pat

johncarter.jpg

tumblr_mnukc9a8qs1s99dcoo1_500.gif

Plastic fender washers and screws through the panel are going to be your best bet to keep it secured. I wouldn't use any tape. I'd use 4 screws per panel and use clear plastic washers. It's a little bit of work, and likely requires a second person, but I'd mount it with sheet metal screws to the drywall. Then pull the whole thing back down and use the white plastic, screw-in drywall anchors in the holes left from the sheet metal screws. Re-mount and don't worry about it.

As far as protecting it, clear coat would probably be your best bet. If you're not terribly worried about the cost, you could wax the whole thing, then apply some of the 3M automotive paint protection film that comes in a can.

Great idea to use the metal screws first - I do just that. I will try to look for some clear plastic washers - maybe home depot will have 'em?

I was going to tape the 3 pieces together to ensure a good fit and to make it easier to level on the wall? I'd rather stay away from tape if possible.

I'll probably end up mounting each piece separately as you suggest.

Thanks for the ideas!

Back