150mm motor mount

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Has anyone ever build a rocket for 150mm and 98 mm motors? Hoe did you adapt it down or up?

Nice motor mounts.

Let me clarify: I am building a rocket larger than 150mm and I want to put a motor mount that will take 150mm motors and 98 mm motors. Anybody done that?

Chuck, I know what you mean. A Loc style adapter will work for reducing 150 to 98. One 6"coupler,2 or 3 centering rings, and a sufficient amount of 4" mmt. Assemble as necessary.

Thanks Jim. I will probably go that route. I was just looking for some photos.

The trick will be, to have the 152 heavy enough not to break a waiver and light enough to use a 98.

Im building a 114>98.
Using removable caged mount, all thread / CRs.

That is true. I have thought about this problem. It is significant.

Considering the fins will be static( as far as CP), for me it will come down to adjustable nose wt.
Then taking the waivers I may fly, MDRA 16800, URRG 22000(?)
Its a real challenge here in the East.
And the size motors Im willing to mix the amount for.
I wanted to use 98 6G. To consider what size 114 to use. Slow or fast ? etc...
6.5, 7.5, 12.5?
Storage and someone's got to lug that thing back.

152>98 ----have fun. How about 98 cluster>152 ?

Last edited:
The Eastern waivers require a very large rocket for 150mm motors.

Chuck, go for the 152mm "O-6300" hybrid motor of contrail ...that would be a challenge :)

Chuck,

Here's what I made for my Terrier booster. I just drilled holes through the bottom thrust ring of the adapter and screwed it into the thrust ring on the rocket. You don't really need the harness straps if you plan on attaching to the top of the motor bulkhead.

My 8" diameter rocket has a 150mm motor mount. My adapter looks very much like Scott's above with the aft ring being a thrust plate that rests on the 8" body tube.
I have a 150mm research 1 grain baby N that should put the rocket to about 9500'.
BTW, you have seen this rocket fly in Orangeburg on an M3700.

I can't seem to find the pic of THarrison wheeling around the 152 mm P motor at RG a few years ago...
Does anyone have a copy of it??
It would be a perfect fit for this thread!

JD

Considering the fins will be static( as far as CP), for me it will come down to adjustable nose wt.
Then taking the waivers I may fly, MDRA 16800, URRG 22000(?)
Its a real challenge here in the East.
And the size motors Im willing to mix the amount for.
I wanted to use 98 6G. To consider what size 114 to use. Slow or fast ? etc...
6.5, 7.5, 12.5?
Storage and someone's got to lug that thing back.

152>98 ----have fun. How about 98 cluster>152 ?

I can't seem to find the pic of THarrison wheeling around the 152 mm P motor at RG a few years ago...
Does anyone have a copy of it??
It would be a perfect fit for this thread!

JD

Here's the pic of my 150mm P motor in an adapter that fits the 7.5" host motor tube in my 11.5" Little John. I chose a 7.5" mount because I also did a 3 x 75mm cluster. I have a similar adapter that I use for 98mm motors. The aft thrust plate ID fits right on the case OD, so it's impossible for the motor to fly through the rocket.

Todd Harrison

466687_10100441526494176_990732601_o.jpgIMG_0385.jpg

Just curious and don't mean to hijack the thread, but what kind of credentials does one need in order to fly a P motor?

Here's the pic of my 150mm P motor in an adapter that fits the 7.5" host motor tube in my 11.5" Little John. I chose a 7.5" mount because I also did a 3 x 75mm cluster. I have a similar adapter that I use for 98mm motors. The aft thrust plate ID fits right on the case OD, so it's impossible for the motor to fly through the rocket.

Todd Harrison

View attachment 258298View attachment 258299

Add the pic of the green mach diamonds. That will give Chuck a kick.

I thought class 3 waviers are required for anything that goes over the 40,000 newton second mark, so I don't see how calling it a 120% O is going to fool them...

Back