Injecting epoxy into a small space

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcorinth

Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody has used a particular tool or method for putting epoxy into a precise location. Specifically, I want to put a fillet of epoxy on an aft centering ring, where there's not much space between the motor tube (and retainer) and the wall of the airframe.

I have a couple of medicine dosage syringes. One of them I use for filling tube spirals, but I have a spare, and I was thinking of using that. I'm wondering if this will be a one-time use for this syringe, or if I can flush it with alcohol afterwards and use it again. Or does anybody have a means of putting a small amount of epoxy into a small space? What I have currently is Bob Smith epoxy. It's the only kind (other than J.B. Weld) that I've used. I don't know how it compares to other epoxies, but it's pretty goopy, and I have a hard time controlling it, so I don't just want to put a blob on a stick and hope it doesn't go where I don't want it.

Thanks!

THIS might be the ticket for you. I get it at Walmart but they sell through fast. It's in the hardware section. It sets in about 5 minutes and is rock hard in a little over an hour. It comes with two removable tips and mixes as you use it---upside--VERY CONVENIENT--downside--they need to give you more tips, once used they are toast. If your doing a bunch of internal fillets this should not be a problem since you'll use the better part of the epoxy at one time----IMG_20150306_220142.jpg--hope this helps---H

I have a couple of medicine dosage syringes. ... I'm wondering if this will be a one-time use for this syringe, or if I can flush it with alcohol afterwards and use it again. Thanks!

Yes. I can tell you from experience that it works just fine. I have a syringe that I've used and reused for injecting epoxy. Afterwards I draw up alcohol and expel it - 3 or 4 times - and it is ready for the next time.

Agree with LW Bercini. Still using the same syringe and the same container of alcohol I used on my first try a couple of years ago. Thinking about getting some new alcohol as it is getting kind of cloudy. I also use Bob Smith epoxy.

I have a couple of medicine dosage syringes. One of them I use for filling tube spirals, but I have a spare, and I was thinking of using that. I'm wondering if this will be a one-time use for this syringe, or if I can flush it with alcohol afterwards and use it again.
Walmart pharmacies hand out baby medication syringes for free. They simply ask, "How many do you want?" To be reasonable, I say "five."

Walmart pharmacies hand out baby medication syringes for free. They simply ask, "How many do you want?" To be reasonable, I say "five."

That's a good tip. I'll have to remember that next time I need to pick some up.

Yes. I can tell you from experience that it works just fine. I have a syringe that I've used and reused for injecting epoxy. Afterwards I draw up alcohol and expel it - 3 or 4 times - and it is ready for the next time.

I went with this option. It worked great!

+1 on syringes! Old trick: Put your part A and part B in a plastic sandwich bag and squish it around to mix it up. Cut a TINY corner off and you have the equivalent of a small icing bag. Good for getting in tight places!

Agree with LW Bercini. Still using the same syringe and the same container of alcohol I used on my first try a couple of years ago. Thinking about getting some new alcohol as it is getting kind of cloudy. I also use Bob Smith epoxy.

I was going to ask if the cost if the alcohol exceeded the cost of a new syringe, but now understand it's reusable too. Good to know!

I was going to ask if the cost if the alcohol exceeded the cost of a new syringe, but now understand it's reusable too. Good to know!

I think I bought a bottle of rubbing alcohol for 99 cents, perhaps a buck.99. The syringe happened to come with a prescription I got, and didn't notice until my girlfriend was throwing out the bag. She asked if I could use it for rockets (she's great!).

But the syringe I bought for spiral filling was a couple bucks - maybe 2.99, I forget. Even if I don't reuse the small amount of alcohol I use to clean the syringe (I use a couple of ounces in a Starbucks sample cup, and draw it in and plunge it out of the syringe multiple times), I get more alcohol for the price than I'd need for one application, so it works out even if I throw out the alcohol.

Asking for FIVE syringes is reasonable? I'm thinking they'll be on the phone to the DEA before I left the counter.... LOL! (But I'm gonna go try it tomorrow morning, you betcha....)

Back