HEY ADMINS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benzee1

Reaction score
I have a hard time with rocketryforum.com loading pages. I have to try over n over before a page loads. It's sporadic. I've had a couple of posts that never posted due to this. I've tried on my PC with Chrome and IE. Also on my Android phone, same issues.
Last year, I gave up trying to become a member because I couldn't get it to accept without getting a failed load screen. One day I tried again and it took, but I still have problems.
Here's two examples just today:

ROCKETRY FORUM HOME
failed1.JPG

failed2.JPG

It took two tries to post the above message. Here's a fail for it:
failed3.JPG

Took two tries to post the above image.

It hasn't happened to me and I have no idea.

Hopefully, someone who understands the technical inner workings of such things will chime in.

Benzee, you say Chrome and IE, but what versions? Are they the latest?

Since other users aren't having this problem, it is either your browser or your ISP. What kind of download speed do you have?

Not internet speed. I have high speed and steam netflix with no probs. 6Mbps. This is the only website that does this. FB, yahoo, youtube, forums of Traxxas, Archerytalk and Helifreak work fine. I keep up to date web browsers. Like I also said, this happens on my phone also. It took me 4 tries to load this page just now. Sometimes I click and it works, sometimes I try, try, try.

Today I got frustrated and posted about it.

If it is not ISP and not browser, and it is happening from your PC and phone, then the only other thing that is unique to you is your user name. I am not a forum admin, and I am not even a web developer, but I wonder if there could be some kind of database issue regarding your user name. I could see a scenario in which once you log in, the database spins its wheels on trying to resolve your user name, and it just hangs for awhile.

Aside from that, I don't have a clue.

Maybe you could re-register with a new user name and see what happens?

Performance on this site is complete crap both on my my laptop and mobile app--it is wait time for ads as far as I can tell--even if I have them blocked. Complete schise. Given the speed of things changing in my life I have less and less patience for TRF response times--REALLY.

Contrary experience for me...this site loads very quickly on desktop and mobile. On my fast computer most forum pages load in 1-2 seconds (Firefox on Ubuntu). Similar results from different physical locations. Implies the TRF servers are generally doing their job on pace.

Not having any problems loading here at all. Both on my PC on Chrome browser at home or on mobile using Chrome app.

Ads have absolutely no bearing on my load speed either. TRF has always loaded almost instantaneous for me. The current placed ads don't bother me a bit. Now if TRF goes to popup ads I'll be out.

No issues here, but the Android app is crap, I refuse to use it. I use adblock+ on laptop with chrome. No loading issues.

No issues here. Everything was fine for me at 6:30 am (used IE 11 with AdBlockPlus, and I'm logged into the forum). Tried just now (~7:30 pm) with IE, same results. Also tried Chrome just now (no adblock, not logged in), and it was fine too. PRetty zippy despite all sorts of ads showing when not logged in.

Android App isn't great but is OK. It is a bit slow, and clunky, but it's a lot better on a phone than trying to use a browser.

Marc

Marc, I strongly disagree regarding the Android App. Galaxy Note 3 with default browser works flawlessly for me. The app stinks.

Jim- disagreement noted. I'm actually afraid to ask what you don't like about the app, because once I know, I will start noticing whatever it is and my own satisfaction with the app will probably plummet! :wink:

For general reading in spare moments I find the app easier to use than a bookmark to the website through a browser. I have noticed that sometimes the app and browser don't seem to sync "last read" status, and there have been times when I've marked the whole TRF forum as "read" when all I wanted to do was mark read one particular subforum. I also have issues with font sizes in the app.... I can get the thread text to be OK but thread titles are still a bit too small for comfort for my eyes.

Still, I find it faster than using the website, and it is relatively light on data usage (not that I'm anywhere near maxing out my mobile data...), so for me it's adequate.

Sorry to hijack the thread... as another data point, I'm using the website now (8:49 pm eastern) and I'm not experiencing any slowness. MSIE 11, adblock plus, forum member / contributor logged in.

Marc

Marc, to be fair, I haven't tried the app since it was first introduced. It was so buggy I just uninstalled it and never looked back. Bookmarks? I type "r" and autocomplete takes over.

Narrow down the problem. Does it occur only when logged in? Does it occur only at your house? Take your laptop to a friend's house and try it there. If the problem happens only at your house, or when on your ISP - no matter the location, they may have a bad route to rocketryforum. You may be able to verify that by performing a trace route or pathping. But even if you could see it, you'd be hard pressed to convince them it's their problem.

You could also try connecting to the site through a proxy, which should rule out your ISP as a problem. It occurs to me as I type this that your problem might also be your DNS servers, which are likely provided by your ISP.

Latest posts

Back