Good rocket suggestions for Estes E9 motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So many people are suggesting the vagabond, it looks like a good option. I do not want a high flying model though and I also came to the conclusion that high drag, rather than high weight (since the E9 is already 'weakish'), is where I have control over the altitude.

I totally agree that E motors are the best bang for the buck. Especially the AeroTech ones, which I can get for around 8 $CAN each. I am considering a series of D-E rockets in BT-60 and BT-80 (1.6 and 2.6 inch). The E-15, E-20 and E-30 motors will be fun to design with and should keep me occupied for this season. If I with to push further for next season, I'll get a rail and try for F and G motors. It'll get there eventually, but I'll need a home with a workshop. Our apartment family life does not permit me to aim for bigger rockets for now.

Getting back to the E9, I did the simulation with my Estes V2.ork file and it looks powerful enough, but it delivers slower takeoffs. As mentioned by another user (maybe you ThirstyBarbarian), people have lost more rockets to the E9 than other low power motors, so I do not wish to risk my (almost finished) V2, which I like a lot, on this motor.

I really need to start flying in a bigger field.

For two stage use, instead of E12-0 - E9-x, consider D12-0 - E9-x. The D12 has the same buildup time, 30N peak thrust instead of 33N for the E12 so not much less, but is 17 grams lighter, so your initial thrust to launch weight ratio is liable to be better. (Peak thrust is 10% lower, so if the launch weight with an E12-0 is 170 g then you break even; any less and the D-12 will give you better speed off the rod.) Also, if you're able to design around the motors, you can make the booster an inch shorter with the D12 and save a bit more weight.

Nice suggestions. I created 2-3 designs to fit around the E9 but I think I'll abandon that project to work on more exciting rockets. I can't help coming back to the conclusion that the E9 is an under powered and risky motor.

Nice suggestions. I created 2-3 designs to fit around the E9 but I think I'll abandon that project to work on more exciting rockets. I can't help coming back to the conclusion that the E9 is an under powered and risky motor.

The E9 is underpowered for a lot of rockets, except for some light rockets designed to go very, very high.

What are you going to try instead? Anything built around an E9 will work great with an E12 or E20, and those are great motors! And there are some great larger rockets that will fly on them but are too big for an E9. The E12 and E20 are the biggest I ever fly when not at a club launch, so they have a special niche in my rocketry activity.

I am aiming at everything C11, D12, E12 or above in power and for rockets that are heavier.

My goal is to have options for flights below 600 feet so the combination of short thrust duration and heavier rockets to compensate for the higher thrust.

I will thus concentrate on C D and E motors this year and fly these:
- Estes V2
- TLP FLAIL
- scratch MIM-23B HAWK I designed

est3228.jpg
scratch_hawk_v3_3D.jpg

35d516_551b7acbda7d1ffa488d214132c9af2a.jpg_srz_p_960_330_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

To add to the fun, I am also ordering these kits:
- Rocketarium Hydra Sandhawk (two stage, 24mm and 18mm)
- Rocketarium KSR-420S (3 x 18mm cluster)

rk-hydra.jpg
rk-ks420.jpg

Last edited:
Big Daddies do fine on E9's, nice lowish flights.
5922529674_ba3b46aaa4.jpg
5891172511_693aa54d51.jpg

My 10oz phoenix on E9-6's was hit or miss....a bit of bonus delay was it's undoing.
5891176599_094e17dd75.jpg
5891753086_3f86f867b6.jpg

5891732252_33353f96f8.jpg
5891731748_748de07e96.jpg

10:1 is pretty high. In low winds I'll go as low as 3:1 if I can get the right delay. (I shoot for 5:1 typically)

The E9 is weaker sure, but used with the right delay in the right conditions... It's a nice motor.

I have VERY few low wind days here in Quebec and I am not interested in rockets à la Big Daddy, Baby Bertha and the likes.

Risking to crash a rocket I worked a lot on because of an E9 is not high on my priority list :p

I already lost one fine upper stage because of it. I guess I am quitting on this motor, but thanks for all for the suggestions and the discussion!

Is the E12 renowned for catoing a lot?

The E12 got what I think was an undeserved bad reputation for catos when it was first released. There is one bad date code that should probably be avoided. I've flown a lot of them and never had a Cato.

This is a great looking rocket from Semroc. The larger, Centurion-F. They can still be found. Very handsome.

Centurion-F-lg.jpg

Last edited:
Agreed. But It'll never stop being funny. After the E15's history....CATOS in the E12's were going to be unforgiven...

The result of my second E9 flight was a cato that decommissioned my Egg Crate. It happened on the third as well, but didn't destroy the rocket it was in. Does the E9 have any unpleasant history?

I love E9 motors, though I've as yet flown only a couple of them. The first was on my Estes Cosmic Explorer I upgraded to 24mm.

But that one hit about 1800 feet (I'm guessing) and got lost in the wind.

But, still, I loved that longer burn!

Photo Jan 28, 3 50 32 PM (3).jpg

This is a great looking rocket from Semroc. The larger, Centurion-F. They can still be found. Very handsome.

I really want one of those, but I have so much on the build pile right now...

Still, I should get one. I love the Estes Cosmic Explorer, which (so I understand) was based on the Centuri version of this rocket. I just love the cool, long airframe, rounded nose cone and curves on the fins. Having an even taller version would make me happy.

The result of my second E9 flight was a cato that decommissioned my Egg Crate. It happened on the third as well, but didn't destroy the rocket it was in. Does the E9 have any unpleasant history?

I saw a 4 E9 powered rocket drag race where all 4 motors catoed, they seem to cato a lot. E12s seem to be a bit more reliable.

I’m currently building a Flis Kit “Morning Star” which I think would be an awesome rocket to fly on an E-9 motor.

Assuming you have a very big field in which to launch it.

A radio tracker wouldn’t be a bad idea either.

Semroc Cherokee D modified for E-engine loves flying on E engines and you can also look at the Cherokee Double D modified for E engines if ya want to go high and light.

I plugged the E9 into my Estes M-104 Patriot with a D12-0 in the booster and it works pretty well in the Sim. Good enough to merit further interest.

@ Stage Patriot E9 Sustainer 2015-04-01 001.jpg

The Estes Mega Mosquito is great on an E9. I flew mine literally to death on them. Extremely consistent, too. All (10,roughly) flights were between 990' and 1010'. As it was one of my earlier builds, I didn't know techniques to make it last longer.

Last edited:
Back