We've lost leonard Nimoy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very sad news.

Upon hearing about his COPD, I feared that he wouldn't be with us for long. I just didn't think it would be within the same week.

Peace And Long Life!
Jim

I just read that he quit smoking 30 years ago, but did smoke most of his life previous to that. It sucks that so long after quitting they can still get to you like that.

My mother quit smoking at about age 50, but was already developing COPD and died at 63. However the doctors were pretty unanimous in their opinion that quitting probably extended her life half a decade and improved the quality of those years.

And as a counter-example, HER mother, my grandmother, quit smoking at 65 after having smoked 50 years ... and lived to be 99.

Either way, quitting smoking is a damn good idea no matter when you do it. I don't tolerate it in my presence -- I'll slap a ciggie out of the mouth of someone who lights up in my presence after I ask them politely (once) not to.

RIP Spock. :(

[video=youtube;ZQ_duzQzS1I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ_duzQzS1I[/video]

[video=youtube;FCARADb9asE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCARADb9asE[/video]

seemed to be a good person in real life
spock_rivi1.jpg

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - Amazing Grace: [video=youtube_share;yqxRg_lxOqY]https://youtu.be/yqxRg_lxOqY[/video]

We will miss you
But no worries Sheldon has his DNA.... We can whip up a new one

I will admit I cried when I saw Wrath of Khan the first time. I am crying now. A fine actor, not just as Spock.

George Takei remembers Leonard Nimoy:

[video=youtube;2IFv41rGpGY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IFv41rGpGY[/video]

Astronaut Salutes Nimoy From Orbit

International Space Station astronaut Terry Virts (@AstroTerry) tweeted this image of a Vulcan hand salute from orbit as a tribute to actor Leonard Nimoy, who died on Friday, Feb. 27, 2015. Nimoy played science officer Mr. Spock in the Star Trek series that served as an inspiration to generations of scientists, engineers and sci-fi fans around the world.

Cape Cod and Boston, Massachusetts, Nimoy's home town, are visible through the station window.

terry-llap.jpg

Astronaut Salutes Nimoy From Orbit

International Space Station astronaut Terry Virts (@AstroTerry) tweeted this image of a Vulcan hand salute from orbit as a tribute to actor Leonard Nimoy, who died on Friday, Feb. 27, 2015. Nimoy played science officer Mr. Spock in the Star Trek series that served as an inspiration to generations of scientists, engineers and sci-fi fans around the world.

Cape Cod and Boston, Massachusetts, Nimoy's home town, are visible through the station window.

terry-llap.jpg

That's AWESOME!!!
I was listening to the Radio in the Truck today, and one of the Stations was playing him singing songs like Johnny Cash "Walk The Line".

My wife and I watched the Wrath of Khan last night. It's a great movie and holds up really well --- probably the best of all the Star Trek movies, in my opinion. And it contains what is probably one of the best Star Trek scenes in all of the shows and movies --- the scene with Spock and Kirk right before Spock dies.

Given that Nimoy had just died yesterday, the scene before his "burial at sea" was very moving. Kirk says s few words and gets a bit choked up. He says Spock's not really gone as long as we remember him, and my wife and I both got a little bit misty.

Early in the movie, there is a scene that came as kind of a shock. A trainee had just completed the Kobayashi Maru exercise, and the entire crew had been lost, including Spock. Kirk walks in, sees Spock standing there and says, "Aren't you supposed to be dead?" That's a little bit of foreshadowing that I had never noticed before, and the line caused us both to let out a little gasp.

Those ending scenes in Wrath of Khan may very well be Leonard Nimoy's AND William Shatner's best performances ever.

As Spock said when his father died "It was the logical conclusion to his disease"
RIP Spock

Now if only he did it.....

[video=youtube;nQLvzv5n27M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQLvzv5n27M[/video]

Its worse than that he's DEAD Jim !

So farewell then Leonard Nimoy
aka Mr Spock
'Fascinating' was your catch phrase
And you have been.

Early in the movie, there is a scene that came as kind of a shock. A trainee had just completed the Kobayashi Maru exercise, and the entire crew had been lost, including Spock. Kirk walks in, sees Spock standing there and says, "Aren't you supposed to be dead?" That's a little bit of foreshadowing that I had never noticed before, and the line caused us both to let out a little gasp.

That scene was most likely put in because it was widely leaked before the movie was released that Spock died. A lot of people were very upset as they couldn't imagine Star Trek without Spock. So this scene was both a way to cover up his real death later in the movie and as an inside joke about the rumors.

I was in Air Force officer training at the time of the premiere and this idiot had gone off base to see it. She walks into the break area and knowing she was probably the only person in the room who had seen it says "I can't believe they really killed him!"

Back