Question about Half Hole Method

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeff2space

Reaction score
Last year I built a 4" Wildman Darkstar Dual Deploy but haven't flown it yet. The kit does not come with a switch band so I used the Half Hole Method that Crazy Jim uses. The vent holes for the Electronic Bay are drilled on the seam between the Booster Section and Payload Section (half the hole in each section). My question is: is there a concern during launch that the Booster Section turns, blocking half of the holes, and prevents the altimeter from working properly? I guess I'm a little concerned so I have actually put in one shear pin in the Booster Section to prevent this.

Last edited:
Never did it that way but if it is a concern you would want 2 pins 180 degrees apart. 1 pin is not good, could bind.

Why not just cut one from the booster tube?
2" off the booster is no big deal with this kit.

JD

Jeff.... you only do the switch wire 1/2 hole on the tube joints.
I have the same 4in. rocket with Vindicator fins

Rest of vents are full size between the rivets.
That way it doesn't matter if payload rotates.

Did you do all vents half hole? If ya did...simple solution would be to enlarge them a bit so it won't matter, if half is blocked[depending on what size they are.]

JD... the coupler supplied is shorter in the standard DD with 54 mount than the one that comes with 75 mount. Not long enough for switch band. [at least mine is]

100_9781.jpg

100_9791.jpg

Jim, thanks for the explanation. That makes sense now. I will oversize the holes to fix my mistake. Thanks everyone.

I use either the half-hole method, as described or drill a hole in one section of the airframe that will line up with the AV bay. Either way, I've never used a switch band.
-Ken

Back