Help! Battery Connectors with Missileworks 38mm sled

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nute

Reaction score
Hello all,
I recently bought a 38mm Li-ion sled from Missileworks (great product, highly recommended by the way) and the battery and charger to go with it. unfortunately, I managed to pretty much destroy the little connector Missileworks includes with the sled while trying to solder leads onto it with a 35yr old soldering iron and no soldering station of any kind. It did not go well. Anywho, I'm in a bit of a pinch, with this rocket due to fly in a week, and no way to wire my av-bay.

Does anyone have a place to get a jst-ph (the connector the battery terminates in) male connector with leads? The closest thing could find was this:
jst problem.jpg Which could just be cut in half, and then I could just use the right half, but it requires $10 shipping :shock: If no one has anything, this could be a last resort though.

Anyone? Anyone?

Thanks,
Nate

They mate with the male connectors on the recommended LiPo, and the pins on the connector are spaced to fit in the terminal block. Therefore, you screw down the terminal block on the pins from this fiddly bit instead of tightening down onto wires. Basically it is just a LiPo-terminal block adapter.

Thanks guys for the replies. That's what I thought they were for.

However, I have a MW sled that came with one of these, and mine doesn't work. I tried to set it up in this configuration, and for some reason the two aluminum blades do NOT fit into the terminal block on my altimeter (tried both RRC3 and RRC2+). The spacing between the two is not quite right, but it does fit - the problem is that they don't seem long enough to catch under the screwblocks of the altimeter's terminal block.

At first when they came I thought to myself, "hey now, THIS looks like a very handy little doohickey - I'm going to get more of them!" as the purpose that you guys show is how I imagined it. But then it didn't work. hmmmmm.

So I guess I'm still confused.

At any rate, I ended up doing a setup very much the way JJSR shows in his second picture. I did this because the batteries I have are an extremely tight fit into the intended compartment of my S.M.A.R.T. sled - such that it would be quite difficult to get one out without damage. So I decided that battery will stay there "permanently" and I'll just hook the whole sled up to the charger. Works fine.

s6

Last edited:
S6 I think I had to bend them a little, if I remember right, not sure if it was to get them in deeper or if it was to make it wider??
any way they are handy doohickeys :wink:

Cl(VII) I to got those sleds just haven't used them yet. looking for a project to put them in.

Nute I have these https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9749 if you think they will help, I could run them up to you :wink:

Awesome, thanks Joe- PM sent.

I'm a bit confused about these bits - how exactly are they utilized?

s6

I would use it to basically adapt the female jst-ph on the end of the battery to normal wires, but still be easy to disconnect. Then, one wire goes to the altimeter, and the other goes to the 110/220 voltage selector switch.

Nate

If using one of these
09749-01.jpg
on a RRC2+ the positive and negative are reversed, so you have to bend the contacts around to the other side.
On a S.M.A.R.T. sled there is not enough room for it to fit.
I shortened the leads and put jumpers on, and left the connector for charging.
IMG_0417.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0417.jpg
    IMG_0417.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
They mate with the male connectors on the recommended LiPo, and the pins on the connector are spaced to fit in the terminal block. Therefore, you screw down the terminal block on the pins from this fiddly bit instead of tightening down onto wires. Basically it is just a LiPo-terminal block adapter.

If using one of these
09749-01.jpg
on a RRC2+ the positive and negative are reversed, so you have to bend the contacts around to the other side.
On a S.M.A.R.T. sled there is not enough room for it to fit.
I shortened the leads and put jumpers on, and left the connector for charging.
View attachment 254326

Wait, so the contact connected to the red wire on the battery should go to the negative terminal on the altimeter? Thanks for the info!

Nate

Last edited:
No I said that wrong,
If you connect that PLUG the connections will be reversed. So you have to bend the contacts around

Hope I said it correct

Not quite sure I understand. If the red positive wire is on the right, then coming from this
09749-01.jpg
connector the right contact should go to positive on the altimeter? When doesn't it?

Thanks,
Nate

If you look at my picture of the altimeter you can see positive is on the left negative on right, but the PLUG is the opposite

I don't think 423yjl is right about the contacts,
it looks like he's right it doesn't fit in BT with it on the sled.

OK maybe he is right, I remember bending it for some reason

at any rate make sure you LOOK at it and know what your looking at

Last edited:
Back