Tripoli Vegas Springfest 2015 what are you bringing?? 7.5x upscale

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Stealth6! Hmm. Couldnt attach pics in a PM.
View attachment 258656

Drove around with some ATV guys and found it within a few minutes. The NC and BT are toast, but your case might be fine. View attachment 258658
I've got it right now. Let me know what you want me to do with it. I could ship you what's salvagable.

Awesome launch guys! I really enjoyed meeting all of you in person. Pictures and video to come!

Alex

Here's some decent shots I got from the weekend:
DSC03880.jpg
Not sure who's rocket or what motor...

DSC03894.jpg
Not sure on this one either.

DSC04023.jpg
Goblin on an I800, I think it was...

DSC04151.jpg
ViperFixr's L3. Congrats!

DSC04172.jpg
Skidmark drag race.

DSC04261.jpg
Stealth6's Formula 98

DSC04282.jpg
Not sure who's rocket or motor...

DSC04506.jpg
Viperfixr's Competitor 3 on an L1000 (pre-cato)

DSC04818.jpg
Stealth6's Punisher

More in the next post...

DSC04890.jpg
V2 on a ???

DSC04905.jpg
Darkstar on a ???

DSC05034.jpg
This is my favorite one. Someone's (Kenrico's?) V2 on an Aerotech H550.

DSC05092.jpg
Pretty sure this one's Mark's

DSC05109.jpg

DSC05189.jpg
I think this ones fyrwrxz's Minnie Magg.

Still working on the video.

Alex

Unfortunately, that pic of my Punisher is the last you all will see of it intact. As everyone who was there knows, that flight ended in an extremely non-optimal landing. As Motojoe says, "the earth got in the way" - which resulted in complete annihilation. I'll post more details and pics later when I've got time.

I just wanted to quickly post this photo here:
TRF folk at Springfest.jpg

In attendance were (in no particular order):
stickershock23, KenRico, fyrwyrx, Aksrockets, bandman444, stealth6, lawndartman, watersjim65, lilminijpc, Rocketjoe13, rdbones, Caveduck, Solarover12, fuddrucker, gtm332, rokit, WeFly2, and WoShuGui.
Wait, wasn't Viperfixr there as well?

First one to correctly match all the names with the faces gets the destroyed remains of my BRB900.

Was great flying with y'all.
s6

Attachments

• TRF folk at Springfest.jpg
    TRF folk at Springfest.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Hey Stealth6! Hmm. Couldnt attach pics in a PM.
View attachment 258656

Drove around with some ATV guys and found it within a few minutes. The NC and BT are toast, but your case might be fine. View attachment 258658
I've got it right now. Let me know what you want me to do with it. I could ship you what's salvagable.

Awesome launch guys! I really enjoyed meeting all of you in person. Pictures and video to come!

Alex

Those attachments also don't show up.
But I assume you mean to say that you located (the remains) of my carbon stubby? It hit me on the drive home what the problem must have been, and I figured it came in ballistic (and was therefore destroyed).

I'm definitely interested in whatever's salvageable - the case definitely, and it would be great if the chute/laundry, retainer cap, and anything from the AV bay (especially the altimeter) are good as well. Given all the damage I suffered over the weekend, ANYTHING that could be saved would be a good thing.

I'm in no hurry. Get in touch via PM and we can work out how to get the bits to me.

thanks for finding it,
s6

Thank you all for sharing your photos and videos. I had to leave Saturday afternoon and missed a lot.

Joyce - aka lilminijpc was a little happy when her L3 was successful !!!
Joyce is Happy Happy Happy.JPG

The Arizona Rocketry Team's Satellite Killer was not as Happy.
SK1.JPG SK2.JPG

Unfortunately the 12X Satellite Killer did not survive.
It was a 3 x J315R Cluster that we had commercial igniters in. One lit on the pad, one lit coming off the rail and one did not light.
We tested the pad with three igniters the day before and every they all lit at the same time and fast.

Lets see, we have all the raw materials in the shop sooooooooo
See you at Oktober Fest ???

Unfortunately, that pic of my Punisher is the last you all will see of it intact. As everyone who was there knows, that flight ended in an extremely non-optimal landing. As Motojoe says, "the earth got in the way" - which resulted in complete annihilation. I'll post more details and pics later when I've got time.

I just wanted to quickly post this photo here:
View attachment 258752

In attendance were (in no particular order):
stickershock23, KenRico, fyrwyrx, Aksrockets, bandman444, stealth6, lawndartman, watersjim65, lilminijpc, Rocketjoe13, rdbones, Caveduck, Solarover12, fuddrucker, gtm332, rokit, WeFly2, and WoShuGui.
Wait, wasn't Viperfixr there as well?

First one to correctly match all the names with the faces gets the destroyed remains of my BRB900.

Was great flying with y'all.
s6

Oh thats easy... I have worked with all of you! so I'll keep my mouth shut for now and let everone else try and identify them...

The Photon Disruptor.
13 foot tall rocket, 7800 foot flight. Rocksim only says it'll go 2K.
Anyone want to check the file out and see what I did wrong?
Liftoff weight 68.9 pounds.

[video=youtube_share;QKk4ozxIaY8]https://youtu.be/QKk4ozxIaY8[/video]

robert the problem was you just dont know your own strength!!!

that motor was AWESOME! had a great time working on the project! what a beautiful flight... wish we could have done it on saturday for everyone to see but I am glad we didnt wait the wind just was not helping!

View attachment 258833

View attachment 258834 View attachment 258835

It was a 3 x J315R Cluster that we had commercial igniters in. One lit on the pad, one lit coming off the rail and one did not light.
We tested the pad with three igniters the day before and every they all lit at the same time and fast.

Congratulation to Joyce! and it was nice seeing all the AZART's out there..

the Sat killer looked awesome.. better luck next time!

[video=youtube;J0lRyTT-GxQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0lRyTT-GxQ&list=FLBTsLG96Sfur4Ky71RLaIxg&index=1[/video]

Thank you to Alex (aka Aksrockets) for the video!

Alex
My name is Jim Waters. I don't know if I met you at SpringFest or not. The Orange Rocket is on an AeroTech J275 WL. The one with White nose cone, Red under it and Dark Silver with white fins that Clarence liked so much and I will make a set for him, is on an AeroTech K456 DM. Hope to see you all back at Oktoberfest 2015. Is there any way I could get the full pictures of my two Rockets from you? You take great pictures. Thanks Jim Waters TripoliVegas.

Here's StickerShock's FatMan. On a 3grain 98MM blue.

[video=youtube_share;OdXt1ChCmNM]https://youtu.be/OdXt1ChCmNM[/video]

Alex
My name is Jim Waters. I don't know if I met you at SpringFest or not. The Orange Rocket is on an AeroTech J275 WL. The one with White nose cone, Red under it and Dark Silver with white fins that Clarence liked so much and I will make a set for him, is on an AeroTech K456 DM. Hope to see you all back at Oktoberfest 2015. Is there any way I could get the full pictures of my two Rockets from you? You take great pictures. Thanks Jim Waters TripoliVegas.

Hey Jim,

Thanks for being a good neighbor and such at the launch - WeFly2 and I had a blast !

Can you post a pic of the nose cone of your 5.5 diameter blue tube rocket for WeFly2 ?

Kenny

Kenny

Wow, that took a while. I finally got the final video edited and exported.
[video=youtube;gZcd2ZI0T6w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZcd2ZI0T6w&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Sorry if I didn't get your flight. I took all the ones I could, but sometimes I don't have my camera with me. To be fair, nobody asked for video so you can't complain! Enjoy!

If you saw your flight, but want a separate video in higher quality (1080p vs 720p), just let me know. I'll be doing a few more separate ones. Maybe the Photon Disruptor and a couple others.

Alex

Great pics and video so far. Thank you for sharing. Keep it coming.........

OK, a little more detailed report:

First off, Gerald and Alex - GREAT shots and video, guys; thanks for posting em.

So, how did it go for stealth6? Well, I found myself responding to everyone who asked, "how ya doing?" with "great! I'm having a sweet time". But then I thought, "wait a minute, if I look at my results I should be having a terrible time!" That's the nature of these launches - you can be having all kinds of bad luck, lousy flights, lots of loss and damage, and STILL be having a great time. It's THAT cool to be out on the lakebed with all the rest of the fine folk there.

Not that I had ALL bad flights. In particular, my rocket "Fioravante" (which is a slightly kit-bashed Formula98) had some perfect flights that were really sweet. Both were on Gorilla motors - the first a K222 WhiteCloud, and the second a VERY sweet J450 BlackLightning. Both of these can be seen in Alex's and Gerald's pics and video. And of course there were tons of really great flights from everyone else - including a bunch of (mostly succesful) L3 cert flights, and large percentage of M motors. Some really great rockets came out to fly this weekend.

But my bad flights? hmmmmm. Well first, I flew my carbon stubby "LacSar" on a long burn RedLightning that had a bit of a squirrely boost. And then we all lost sight of it, with seemingly no "events". I spent a bunch of time searching for it with no luck (more on this later though). So it seemed like I lost a nice rocket, along with electronics, a tracker (which lost signal), my chutes, a CableCutter, the motor case, etc. Dang. The weird thing is that I "lost" this same rocket at the same place with the same motor last fall, but I did eventually find it (all intact) that time.

And then there was my brand new, first flight, Punisher - named "barborahanzalova". The motor was a really nice CTI I-165 CStar longburner. Boost was absolutely perfect (again, it's in the video). But then, again, everyone lost it. But this time we all "found" it right away as it came in VERY ballistic and "the earth got in the way" resulting in a very deep lake stake. Ouch. Took a lot of digging (with a lot of help from other folks - thanks everyone), but I eventually pulled it out of the ground - total destruction. Check the pictures to see the damage. Lost = nice new rocket, AV bay components, Raven, BRB900 GPS, etc, etc. Mega dang.

111 hanzalova remains.jpg

Yes, that first photo is my BRB900 GPS tracker.

To top it all off, while digging out the lake-embedded Punisher, I managed to catch my hand on a very sharp edged fin and really sliced it good. LOTS of blood loss.

I'm not the only one who suffered loss and damage. As always, there were a few "less than optimal" flights that resulted in destroyed or lost rockets, heartbreak and injury. Of particular note was fyrwrx's rear window of his vehicle which took a hit from a soft foam pool toy! Regardless, that cute little toy still managed to smash the window right out. You can see the "rocket" and the damage here:
111 fyrwyrx remains.jpg

BUT, there are still heros in this world, and there is still hope. Alex (Aksrockets) managed to find my lost carbon stubby (which did indeed obviously come in ballistic), after I gave up and left for the long drive home. And all is not lost. While the rocket itself is toast, it looks like he managed to save my motor case, a bunch of hardware, my chutes and harness, my CableCutter, and MAYBE my altimeter and tracker. THANKS SO MUCH ALEX!! See pic of Alex in full triumphant mode here:
111 lacsar remains.jpg

Again though, for all this, I still had a great time at a fine launch. Thanks to all the TRA Vegas folk for putting this whole thing on, thanks to all the fine TRF folks (and others) who attended - I hope to make it out in October. Maybe I'll have better personal luck then!

s6

skippy - thank you for helping take pictures, support, & tapping my cert! it was great seeing & catching up with you!!

roy - thank you for your advice, help, support & tapping my cert!! (and patience with all my questions during the whole project... :) )

Congratulation to Joyce! and it was nice seeing all the AZART's out there..

the Sat killer looked awesome.. better luck next time!
thanks mark! :)
i'm gonna need to hit you up shortly...the lakebed was not kind to me... :(

Wow, that took a while. I finally got the final video edited and exported.

Sorry if I didn't get your flight. I took all the ones I could, but sometimes I don't have my camera with me. To be fair, nobody asked for video so you can't complain! Enjoy!
Alex
alex - cool, you got my cert flight! any chance, you got pictures of my landing?

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for posting pictures. Had a great time and really enjoyed meeting you all in person.

Here is some video of a few flights I happened to catch. Sorry my camera work is not the best.
[video=youtube;hHamb_0D6F0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHamb_0D6F0[/video]

Also my personal launch report.
[video=youtube;XbQ0T8GfF6w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbQ0T8GfF6w[/video]

Hey Jim,

Thanks for being a good neighbor and such at the launch - WeFly2 and I had a blast !

Can you post a pic of the nose cone of your 5.5 diameter blue tube rocket for WeFly2 ?

Kenny

Kenny

I will have to learn how to post a picture. If you look at all that have been posted so far you and WeFly2 can see it. The Nose cone is 21" long plus what inside the 16" tube that is Red. Out of the 16" red tube is a 8 inch coupler, 4" inside and 4" inches of the coupler that goes into the body tube. You my want to use a 12" coupler. Hope that this is useful to you two.
Jim

Oh and by the way, the upscale Satellite Killer looked awesome. Sorry about the flight, though. Perhaps just 1 central motor would be best?

My wife and I got there a little late on Sunday and even though we missed a lot it was still a great launch! Thank you Tripoli Vegas for hosting this one, we are already planning on coming down again in the future. I didn't get any pictures or video but I was really impressed with the rockets I really liked that big sugar rocket that flew I think it was the last flight. Anyway thanks Greg

OK, time to add some pics to the mix. Not sure who's is who's on many of them but if you see one of yours and you want a copy let me know and I can send you the full res version of it. In this first set there is my Gone Batty on a J360 and Mark "Stickershock" Hayes Fat Boy on a "M" EX Motor I think, and several others of which I do not know the owners of.

As was said earlier, weather on Friday was great so lots of flights.

...Fudd

DSC_3828.jpg

DSC_3848.jpg

DSC_3849.jpg

DSC_3851.jpg

DSC_3853.jpg

DSC_3861.jpg

DSC_3840.jpg

DSC_3830.jpg

DSC_3839.jpg

DSC_3865.jpg

More unknown to me rockets but very cool flights. I believe the green DarkStar was a Successful Level 3 flight, Mark Rose perhaps.......

...Fudd

DSC_3873.jpg

DSC_3876.jpg

DSC_3927.jpg

DSC_3928.jpg

DSC_3931.JPG

DSC_3935.JPG

DSC_3978.jpg

DSC_3979.jpg

DSC_3980.jpg

DSC_3981.JPG

Mark Hayes and I with our Wildman kits. My DarkStar Extreme on a K660, and Mark with his Wild Thang on a K8xx something... His took a minute to lite but once it did, it was gone. Fat Man, of which I don't remember their name, and Marks Red Max. The last one was a successful level 1 flight.

...Fudd

DSC_3953.jpg

DSC_3967.JPG

DSC_3968.JPG

DSC_3972.JPG

DSC_3975.jpg

DSC_3983.JPG

DSC_3990.jpg

DSC_3991.jpg

DSC_3988.jpg

DSC_3989.jpg

Hey Fudd..missed ya out there!

Was that Green DarkStar an Ultimate or ?? Was a nice ride on that M1830 cStar .

Kenny

Back