A positive thread on what people believe Estes should produce

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, yeah, but that's a pretty specific 'boutique motor' market and my guess is the demand is pretty limited. On the other hand I would guess demand would go up if a wider variety of plugged motors was available.

I suspect it might not be all that hard or labor-intensive to re-set the nozzle-making machinery to insert a ceramic plug on the top of certain XX-0 type booster motors.

Pardon me If this is an ignorant question, but couldn't you accomplish the same thing by putting a heat resistant bulkhead at the top of the motor mount, and securely retaining a booster motor in the mount? That way, the motor remains unmodified.

Pardon me If this is an ignorant question, but couldn't you accomplish the same thing by putting a heat resistant bulkhead at the top of the motor mount, and securely retaining a booster motor in the mount? That way, the motor remains unmodified.

People have tried it, but there are mixed results: sometimes it works as planned, and sometimes you have casing burnout/blowout problems by the booster motor contining to kick out residual flames after burnout.

I'd like to see some clear fin units available for scale modeling. I'd like to see the BT-60 unit from the old Titan II kit that still shows up in black and other colors on various kits today (at least it looks like it does). I know those had a finite lifespan, but they were the quickest, dirtiest ways to to atlases and a number of other finless prototypes. I think you could make a nice unit with fins that could slip into slots at the back of a body tube around the engine mount tube, allowing some sort of scale nozzle as well as clear fins. If well designed, the clear fins could look like a nice display stand on the shelf, and not interrupt the paint pattern. This could make a huge number of space launch vehicles from Atlas to Zenit either practical kits or straightforward scratchbuilds. BT-60, ST-20, BT-70, and BT-80 sizes would all have great potential for reasonably-sized models.

To add to Peter's suggestion - how about molding some of the fins that fit the ARF fin cans in clear? Or even the fin cans themselves?

I'd certainly guess if Estes (or somebody) would run off a couple hundred clear plastic fin cans in sizes like BT-60, 70 and 80, they'd sell them to scale modelers.

The blow molds are out there for all the nose cones.
Who has them?
Will they sell them?
Is it worth buying and producing them?
It's a nitch market, and be sure if someone did, they would be expensive.
That is why I suggest anyone with a rare blow mole cone to do the plaster casting.
That is a nitch market, and there is money to be made there.
Granted, there is a limited amount of people that want them, that is why they will be expensive.
BUT, if they were available, those that wanted them, could have them.

The blow molds are out there for all the nose cones.
Who has them?
Will they sell them?
Is it worth buying and producing them?
It's a nitch market, and be sure if someone did, they would be expensive.
That is why I suggest anyone with a rare blow mole cone to do the plaster casting.
That is a nitch market, and there is money to be made there.
Granted, there is a limited amount of people that want them, that is why they will be expensive.
BUT, if they were available, those that wanted them, could have them.

If you are talking about the Estes nose cone molds, I think I remember reading a while back that the molds were all destroyed in a fire or something like that - that is why John had to re-design several nose cones that are fairly similar to the old ones.

Since the thread has been bumped and I didn't post in it before...

First off, VERY glad to see the 1/45 Little Joe-II coming out soon, an improvement over the Centuri kit, and about 40 years since the Centuri one went OOP.

And the new BT-60 Honest John, have two of those, one of which is a Christmas present for a 4 year old rocketeer who will turn 5 in 2 months....(I have a pic of him posing with a real Honest John at a museum last summer, that pic will be included with the present to remind him this is a model of that same rocket)

Thank you for the update John! Glad to hear more scale is coming since that's my thing..About RC gliders, would love to see a nice Space Shuttle full stack kit with RC orbiter, similar to what Sheri's Hot rockets produced briefly. I know that's just a pipe dream and would probably not work for Estes but since everyone else here is posting their fantasy I figured I'd just pile on. I fly the Estes 1284 Shuttle stack and have often thought how nice it would be if you could control the descent of the orbiter.
I think it has to be an either-or for a potential Estes shuttle kit, either an R/C orbiter by itself, probably as a parasite, or a bigger full stack. The number of potential customers for an R/C orbiter is a lot smaller than the number of potential customers for a Free Flight shuttle stack. Unless the "toy factor" came into play, the new Star Wars R/C X-wing looks like a lemon, and the Millennium Falcon multicopter is a novelty that does not fly very well either.

I like to daydream that in an alternate universe where Centuri stayed independent of Estes, maintained its quality for scale models, and was still around, that Centuri would have produced a nice Shuttle kit. Something bigger than the Estes one (1/100 would be a natural to go along side their 1/100 Saturns, but then would certainly need to use clustering). The Estes shuttle stack was just too small and many people are surprised to learn I never built the Estes one (Mary Roberts called me once asking if I'd like to build a couple for Estes to display at some sort of event that included Sally Ride). But that is part of what drove me to build my own, the Estes one was too small (the stack boosted poorly, often pitching over. And the orbiter rarely glided, it was so heavy for its size and so tricky).

A nice scale would be about 1/110, BT-55 SRB's, using a 3.0" ET tube. The Guillow's (formerly North Pacific) styrofoam orbiter is close enough to be a semi-scale match, and it glides pretty nicely for an orbiter. Enterprising fliers can convert it for R/C, rudder-only would be good enough.

At one time, I was working up a kit prototype based on those parts. But... it never happened. I still have the prototype, one of these days I'll finally convert the orbiter to rudder-only R/C

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?8053-1-110-Scale-Shuttle-model-is-a-success!

Anyway..... it would be nice if SOMEBODY made a shuttle kit in the 1/100 to 1/110 scale range, and Estes would do it best if they could justify it. Something bigger than the original Estes one. But not so big as to make it a very high priced kit needing very expensive engines. The NCR 1/72 shuttle was on the verge of 3.3 pounds and even on a G did not fly very well. And the Sheri's kit was even worse in that regard. My 1/72 shuttles were lighter but were not very suited for non-experts to build to fly properly.

Image below, the 1/110 prototype with BT-55 SRB's, 3" ET & Guillow's orbiter. And below that, a 1/110 shuttle stack I built in 1979 (over 36 years ago), with an orbiter built up using 1/32" balsa skins for the fuselage and 1/16" balsa wings/rudder. That pic was at NARAM-21 held at JSC.

- George Gassaway

attachment.php

1979_shuttlestack.JPG

Last edited:
I'll second the request for plugged 24mm motors, or at least the affirmation from estes that putting a small plug of epoxy forward of a D-12-0 and E-12-0 is an approved modification...

Frank

As a frequent cloner of early models, I think that Estes could sell me on pretty any updated/reissued vintage design or classic. Or upscale thereof. Or nice scale model. Or - or - perhaps - an upscale of a vintage classic scale model...

Just as a complete side note with regards to the Air Hogs Millennium Falcon, I can't really see what George is gripping about. I fly mine pretty much every day around the warehouse after the daytime guys have left. Sure, its quirky, but it is at least predictable. Still completely entertaining. I've gotten rather good at maneuvering it, though admittedly my landings are more controlled crashes still...

I'll second the request for plugged 24mm motors, or at least the affirmation from estes that putting a small plug of epoxy forward of a D-12-0 and E-12-0 is an approved modification...

Frank

+1 it would be nice if Estes would Cert their booster motors with the option of the user adding an Epoxy plug, so we can have plugged motors in any LPR impulse.

Re-issue the Comanche 3, SR-71, and Aries SST (#1927).

Don't hold your breath for the SR-71. Lockheed and the USAF want a percentage of the profits, as they hold the licencing rights to it. However, I've heard that the Comanche 3 *May* be re-released again soon.

Don't hold your breath for the SR-71. Lockheed and the USAF want a percentage of the profits, as they hold the licencing rights to it. However, I've heard that the Comanche 3 *May* be re-released again soon.

The Comanche3 would be nice just because both of mine are looking sad, definitely the next time I build one it will use TTW papered basswood fins, for some reason the Comanche3 just loves shedding fins.

The Comanche3 would be nice just because both of mine are looking sad, definitely the next time I build one it will use TTW papered basswood fins, for some reason the Comanche3 just loves shedding fins.

You could always do the TopRamen thing and T2TFG it.

it would be nice if SOMEBODY made a shuttle kit in the 1/100 to 1/110 scale range

All I can say is that I agree with this statement 100%

John Boren

John Boren

Or possibly 110% if you want a 1/110 scale rocket.

That said, I always love it when John speaks up on these forums because sometimes he hints at things to come, other times he is just lamenting the fact that it can't happen as much as he would like. You never know which but it will certainly generate some discussion.

I wrote:
it would be nice if SOMEBODY made a shuttle kit in the 1/100 to 1/110 scale range

John Boren replied
OK, I know that can't be taken to imply anything (other than you agree).

Yet there's a picture that wants to get posted here for some reason...... :)

l7g24VV.jpg

- George Gassaway

Last edited:
+1 for a shuttle. Mine from the late 80's is in BAD shape. I know it's not going to set any records, but I would be super happy if a new version performed a little better.

Currently, interest is very high for GoPro, drone cameras, and whatnot. If possible, Estes should try to get a source for 808 style camera insides and design a rocket around it. It would probably be a good seller with the right marketing and price. When I was young, I wanted a rocket that could take pictures, and I even read some articles about modifying a camera to put in a rocket. At that age, I'm not about to go through all that jazz, but I did buy an Astrocam. Maybe even though the keychain cameras are easily found and ordered by those of us "in the know," the youngsters or beginners might love to have an actual kit that is designed to take some cool video, and comes with readable English instructions even! I would think this would be more feasible than kids buying a rocket, getting Mom or Dad to order a spycam from China, figuring out how to work it and strapping it on with electrical tape. For motors, maybe a designed 24mm mount with an adapter included for people with smaller fields.

Lower cost alternative to Designers Special. Maybe one specific to 13 and 18mm kits to help out beginning kitbashers.

Back