Inkjet Waterslide Decal Paper?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use Bel and have had no problems but I have to qualify that by saying the batch I have was bought over 10 years ago.

I've bought a few hundred sheets from decalpaper.com with good results.
Only problem is, they ship it in a cardstock envelope. My postman likes to fold it in half to fit it in the mailbox.
They used to send it in a harder, thin cardboard box.

I bought a 50 pack of the Bel paper awhile ago and have had pretty good luck. Smaller quantity would probably be better; it's about 2 years old now, and the last time I used it (a month ago) I had a hard time with edge adhesion on big decals (but this has happened from the beginning too).

I use papillo.com. Mine is for a laser printer, but I think they make em for inkjets too. It makes as good a waterside decal as I have ever seen.

I've read through some old threads about waterslide decal paper for use with inkjet printers. Seems like there are a lot of options. Any brand currently recommended over the others?

Testors
Sirius Rocketry (www.siriusrocketry.com)
Bel (www.decalpaper.com)
Papillio (www.papilio.com)
Micro-Mark (www.micromark.com)

Most all the decal paper suppliers listed above provide good quaility sheet product with the possible exception of Bel. I had two consecutive batches from Bel that were just plain bad. the printed decals just would not seperate from the backing sheets. Hense I haven't purchased from them in over 5 year. I learned from those shippments you really do get what you pay for. I'll pay a few pennies more from vendors I can trust to deliver goods that work and are in good order when recieved.

Shipping is the primary concern regardless of where you buy. To that end I have to say my money always goes to Micro-Mark and Papilio For Inkjet printable Waterslide decal papers. Papilio also offers Excellent inkjet printable Vinyl as well.
due to the way both package and ship I've had perfect product deliveries so far. Not so much as a dog-eared single sheet:)

Last edited:
I vote Papilio too. After I got my first batch from them I ditched my old stock of Bel. Papilio waterslide is available in 11x17 and they also have a very nice UV clear spray.

Ink jet - water slide decal paper.

I get small quantities here >>> https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-sheets-CLEAR-INKJET-waterslide-decal-transfer-paper-/321635338031

Print "draft" copies on regular paper first to get size and color right. Need to make sure the ink is dry on the decal paper >> then three light coats of Krylon Crystal Clear to seal the ink.

Ink must be properly sealed or it will run when you put the decal in water. :)

Scott:
While your decals and application look Outstanding for now I can assure you will not be very happy with the Yellowed #1301 Krylon Crystal Clear in a year or two. You'll be much better off using Krylon 1305 Gloss UV Resistant clear on your water slide decals.
I go one step further by sealing the Inkjet Printed decals with a single coat of Krylon 1306 workable Fixatif first then a second light coat of 1305 UV Clear.

I've been testing these Krylon UV clear in actual outdoor direct sunlight southern exposure tests for the last 7 years. As of this date the samples on various substrates show 0% yellowing. While the 1301 Krystal Clear have been badly Yellowed which started in the second year after application.

Back