Fly-away rail guides: 54mm 3D-printed available now

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be honest I have no clue, but probably I'll just post the STL files. I don't have the capacity to print a zillion parts in a production-like setting.

Maybe you can work out a deal with Landru.

I have noticed that rocketeers will gladly pay money for simple accessories if they are innovative (think Cable Cutter) or have a bling factor (think Blastcap). These rail guides are innovative and use cool, modern 3D printing technology. Give it a shot as a small money-making project. You won't get rich, but you can make a little extra cheese to buy more motors!

I'm a little nervous about them only having what appears to be about 60% wrap around the tube and holding heavy rockets, would maybe an 80%-90% wrap be better?

If anyone makes this available for purchase, sign me up--love the concept and looking forward to hearing how this goes in practice. Well done!

I'm a little nervous about them only having what appears to be about 60% wrap around the tube and holding heavy rockets, would maybe an 80%-90% wrap be better?

They wrap about 75% of the circumference. I share some concerns about that, although I am not convinced you could make much of a difference with a change in exposed rocket surface one way or the other.

As a contingency I'm also developing a hinged version that wraps all the way around. I'll try to get one of those to rockdoc as soon as I am happy with it.

If anyone makes this available for purchase, sign me up--love the concept and looking forward to hearing how this goes in practice. Well done!

Well, first I need to verify that they actually work...doing some testing now...

I'll let rockdoc provide the flight report if he so wishes, but suffice it to say that a rocket lifted off using the Rev B guides and nobody was impaled. His comments were constructive and mostly positive, so I am tweaking things a touch and he'll be getting another set...I'm trying to remember which of my beta-testers had a launch coming up this weekend, so if that's you shoot me a PM.

Anyway, I've tweaked the design a touch and added a new model which is designed to handle more powerful launches (Vmax, etc.). For the light-duty guides, I've stiffened them up a bit mostly to improve print quality (they are printed vertically without support, and the design above tends to flex a bit in contact with the print head. More than I'd like, anyway). I've also added a rail standoff at rockdoc's suggestion. In retrospect, it was kind of stupid not to do this from the beginning - we aren't concerned about air drag because we're dropping the guides, and so lowering rail drag is paramount. Standoffs keep the guides from scraping the rail.

For the heavy-duty guides, I am now printing a hinged version which I think will be robust enough for Vmax/Warp9 type launches, since that was my goal to begin with. Early tests indicate that they have less rail friction, too, but they are more sensitive to tube diameter and I might have to have different versions for thin-wall, thick-wall, Blue tube, LOC, Magnaframe, etc., similar to the way you have to buy the right Aeropack retainer for your motor tube. Currently I'm working on getting it right for Proline thin-wall tubing.

Rendering below of both models, and I'll post video if and when I get them how I want them.

What do you guys think these things would be worth? I am not looking to get rich here...maybe just make enough to justify a few 3D printer upgrades so I can move into 54mm and beyond.

Thanks.
flyAway06.png

The only problem I can see is wear on the guides after a few launches might make them unusable especially if the rail is not really smooth/clean.

The only problem I can see is wear on the guides after a few launches might make them unusable especially if the rail is not really smooth/clean.

Yeah, I've thought of that too. It shouldn't be significantly worse than normal rail buttons I should think - I've seen quite a bit of wear on those, too. Possibly printing in ABS would help although that introduces other problems. But I think the reality is that anything that bears on the rail slot will eventually wear out.

Last edited:
What do you guys think these things would be worth? I am not looking to get rich here...maybe just make enough to justify a few 3D printer upgrades so I can move into 54mm and beyond.

Since I egged you on, I should probably respond!

Perhaps $9.99 to $14.99 for the small sizes, more for the large sizes.

I like the idea of stronger guides. It makes sense that a rocket that will need these types of guides will inherently be flying on high thrust, high impulse motors, at high speeds off the rail.

Nate

Then again, with 3D printing, if these fly-away guides aren't that expensive, I'd be willing to buy new after 1-2 launches that wore then down too much. If the Landru av-bay sleds are any indication, then these fly-away guides will not break the bank.

That is very impressive. I might need to research available printable materials before making you a set -)

I think if you went full length with the guide part instead of the two short pieces I might be able to get a couple launches out of one. Or at least make them longer. It'd sure be nice not to have to bring out a tower. Replaceable guides would be the best option though. That way I could just reuse the clamshell.

Here are the details of the test launch with the "fly away rail guides". Saturday morning was clear skies with no wind though very cold, and I tested the rail guides as presented. First off the pad was a Mad Cow fiberglass AGM 33 Pike with a 29mm mount, flying a F22, Rocket took off the pad as expected and the rail guides flew away after clearing the rail. The fly away guides were around 3 or 4 feet from the pad and easy to see in the snow (guides are pink). Next off the pad was the same rocket with a F52 and the rocket performed as expected again. Very pleased with thee 2 flights.

Returned home and examined rail guides and no wear on the guides, some scuffing but expected due to friction of rail and guides.

I decided to go out Sunday morning again, (had fun with them on Saturday) and flew on larger motors a G80 and G76. Rocket used this time was a Wildman Vindicator and both flights, the rocket left the pad fine and the guides performed as expected.

The current guides I've used have 4 flights on them on F and G motors with no noticeable wear, so next week we'll test out some H and I motors and see how they hold up. Looking good so far.

Next test will be next Sunday using H and I motors this time to see how they hold up to higher impulse motors. Keep posted as I will give Bill Cook my comments and then follow up with a fight report. The flight test coming up on January 18th, I'll try and have photos of the launch and a video if possible.

Especially since you melt them off anyways:cyclops: I suspect the stainless steel screw holds up better than the plain carbon steel
one?:grin: Kurt

The best ones for wear were the aluminum ACME guides, but after one launch they were missing from the rocket and we found them welded inside the rail slot.

The best ones for wear were the aluminum ACME guides, but after one launch they were missing from the rocket and we found them welded inside the rail slot.

Sounds more like you need a new rail if you are doing that much damage to buttons and guides.

Sounds more like you need a new rail if you are doing that much damage to buttons and guides.

Thanks for the comment. You are not understanding the forces involved. The aformentioned flights pulled almost 300 g's and broke mach one at 300 feet. Even when launched from a smooth tower it is enough to gall the aluminum airframe where the tower rails slide.

Even with this new fly away design, I believe I would have to place a metal band at one edge to keep the fins from just slicing it into three pieces.

Last edited:
I'm getting about 2 flights out of a set of rail buttons even on my "AeroPac Sport Flyers". That's even off brand new rails. There is a big difference between flying a G motor model rocket and even a 54mm min dia with an L in it. The speed (and other force) they generate in the first <2 seconds is all transferred to the rail buttons.

Here's a video of a "mild" 54mm min dia out of a tower.

[video=youtube;93sPidbYEqo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93sPidbYEqo[/video]

Tony

Thanks for the comment. You are not understanding the forces involved. The aformentioned flights pulled almost 300 g's and broke mach one at 300 feet. Even when launched from a smooth tower it is enough to gall the aluminum airframe where the tower rails slide.

Even with this new fly away design, I believe I would have to place a metal band at one edge to keep the fins from just slicing it into three pieces.

Yeah, sounds like some serious atmospheric heating too once you're done with "friction welding" on the rail.:wink:

With those forces, I can see why folks consider encasing their electronics in epoxy. Otherwise known as "potting" if I'm not mistaken. What deployment devices are better suited for potting? Sure, one would order
the "high-G version" if available.

With fly-away lugs, just consider it a cost of having a "lug/button less" flight without a tower. If they wear, they wear and have the supplier make new ones for you. I like the gaudy colors as that would make it easier to find them.
Kurt

With fly-away lugs, just consider it a cost of having a "lug/button less" flight without a tower. If they wear, they wear and have the supplier make new ones for you. I like the gaudy colors as that would make it easier to find them.
Kurt

Sure. It'd sure look cool flying off the rail and turning into plastic confetti though.

Here is the latest version of the guides in action. These ought to stand up to bigger motors:

[video=youtube;A55XcKfyhe0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A55XcKfyhe0[/video]

Back