0101001101110101011100110110100001101001 Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The original string is interpreted as 5 8-bit bytes in binary representation. All bits need to be encoded whether 0 or 1, hence the leading 0's.

...well, that bites...or bytes...or bights...or....... what do I know of arcanery such as that. I'm a musician, I start getting lost after addition and subtraction :p

The timing of this is rather funny to me... My wife and FiL were explaining binary to my 8 year old daughter tonight on the way to see The Hobbit.

Yay! More progress.

I mark the coupler tube using the fin slots so I can determine sheer pin locations.

IMG_0727.jpg

IMG_0728.jpg

Now a switch band is cut from the fin can tube.

IMG_0729.jpg

Sorry, didn't get pics of it glued on.

Testing the centering ring location again:
IMG_0730.jpg

One of them was slightly loose (and slightly off), so I knocked it off and adjusted it. The tape is to get the measurement in between the two rings correct.
IMG_0731.jpg

IMG_0732.jpg

Ya know... is it bad when you can put a nose cone from what used to be a "big rocket" into the motor tube of your current build?
IMG_0734.jpg

More pics next post.

OK, so next I started to sand the fins for bonding. I initially tried tape and sandpaper.

IMG_0735.jpg

But that took like 5 minutes for a single fin. So I modified:

IMG_0736.jpg

IMG_0739.jpg

IMG_0738.jpg

IMG_0737.jpg

What this rig allowed me to do was to run my dremel sanding drum along the metal edge. That would keep me from sanding the rest of the fin.

It must have worked well. 2 minutes later:
IMG_0741.jpg

IMG_0740.jpg

I also went ahead and drilled out the centering ring for a t-nut.
IMG_0748.jpg

My nut assembly for the nose cone tip.
IMG_0742.jpg

And, everything finally glued in place (except for the fins of course, but you knew that.)
IMG_0749.jpg

Oh, and I almost forgot, I went through, sanded EVERY bonded surface, and wiped it down with acetone. That was fun. A LOT of fun. :)

I mark the coupler tube using the fin slots so I can determine sheer pin locations.
How do you mean, exactly? Did you cut the fin can down?

I like your sanding jig, but what are you adding that t-nut to a centering ring for?

I vote for this thread as the
absolute,, uncontested,, bar none most entertaining thread of 2014......................

And that crack about--- Hey,,, what the hack is wrong with you people......... really caught me off guard........

I gotta go get some paper towels and clean the soda out of my keyboard now....

Teddy

How do you mean, exactly? Did you cut the fin can down?

I like your sanding jig, but what are you adding that t-nut to a centering ring for?

I inserted the coupler tube for the av bay into the end of the tube with fin slots. Then I marked on the coupler tube where the fin slots are so I can get 3 marks 120 degrees apart. Then I pull the coupler tube out and extend the lines all the way down.

https://www.wildmanrocketry.com/pdf/Kits/Wildman/Instructions/EX_DarkStar.pdf

This explains it better.

The tnut is for motor retention.

I inserted the coupler tube for the av bay into the end of the tube with fin slots. Then I marked on the coupler tube where the fin slots are so I can get 3 marks 120 degrees apart. Then I pull the coupler tube out and extend the lines all the way down.

https://www.wildmanrocketry.com/pdf/Kits/Wildman/Instructions/EX_DarkStar.pdf

This explains it better.

The tnut is for motor retention.
Oh that makes sense now, thanks for the link. I take it you'll be using a machine screw/washer for motor retention?
Also, got a motor in mind? :)

Yup. If the aeropac falls through. And yes. I plan on flying this at LDRS. J145 long burn sparky and a 54mm Tiger Tail motor. :) This will be fun.

Wow, Matt, you're skills have come a long way in the last couple of years.

Kevin

Thank you! I also got the centering rings glued on tonight. :) I glued them on with US Composites 635 medium.

Yup. If the aeropac falls through. And yes. I plan on flying this at LDRS. J145 long burn sparky and a 54mm Tiger Tail motor. :) This will be fun.
Sounds like fun indeed! I'll be thinking of you guys and that monster rocket as well.

BINARY SUSHI RISES AGAIN!!!!!

sushi 2.jpg

Thanks to Mark at Stickershock.... these are shipping on Monday. :) Goal is to have this rocket have all fins glued on over the course of tomorrow. This rocket will be shown off at an Astronomy Days at a local museum.... There is a Tripoli table there that I am working. Can't wait to show the nerdiness. :p

Are you using "chop sticks" for rail guides?

Very clever name design..... but something smells "fishy" about it.

Does it require using "Soy sauce" in lieu of grease when assembling motor?

it would be a BIG chop stick for sure!!

What about using fish oil as grease for assembling motor? Soy sauce is bad because it does not lubricate (not sure if fish oil is any better, as the heat will turn it into carbon)

altim bay 1.jpg

altim bay 2.jpg

Altimeter bay cut. I will mill it tonight and drill the holes.

Attachments

• Centering rings.jpg
    Centering rings.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 89
First set of externals and second set of internals. Externals are U.S. composites 3:1 medium with aerosil Cabosil and black dye. Internals were same except no aerosil and chopped carbon was added. image.jpgimage.jpg

Wow. Fail. :p

BTW, any opinions of using 2 6-32 SS all thread for the av bay? Should that be strong enough?

BTW, any opinions of using 2 6-32 SS all thread for the av bay? Should that be strong enough?

I think 6-32 would work. Personally I would bump it up to 7-32 and knowing how much BP you use it may be a good idea :p

I have used a pair of 10-32 aluminum rods for a rocket of this exact size. I bet you'll be fine, but you may want to consider moving to 8-32 to be sure...it certainly won't be overkill.

You sure? I think 1"X20 would be safer. you dont want the avbay bulkheads coming off........ :)

Yeah.... but if you're gonna go with that, may as well just bump it up to 1.5"X6, I mean those rods are holding the AV-bay together.... :)

Nate

Yeah.... but if you're gonna go with that, may as well just bump it up to 1.5"X6, I mean those rods are holding the AV-bay together.... :)

Nate

I would agree, but I'd go with 1-1/2"-12 fine thread.

Back