Is flying my Interceptor w/o plastic parts installed okay?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRThro

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Can anyone think of a reason I shouldn't fly my nearly complete re-issue Estes Interceptor #1250 without the plastic wing pods, fin antennas, and tail cone installed?

Other than aesthetics and the major risk of offending every BAR in the known universe, of course.

I'm sure stability and weight will be affected, but the rocket will be lighter and more stable without the plastic pieces. It's also not primed or painted yet, but there's a launch with the Cub Scouts this weekend and I want to fly it.

Go ahead and glue 'em on there. The cement or epoxy should be plenty dry by the weekend.;) This is still a great performer even with the plastic bits. I really don't see any advantage to leaving them off. Your model though.:)

No, can't think of anything besides what you said.:D

Can anyone think of a reason I shouldn't fly my nearly complete re-issue Estes Interceptor #1250 without the plastic wing pods, fin antennas, and tail cone installed?

Other than aesthetics and the major risk of offending every BAR in the known universe, of course.

I'm sure stability and weight will be affected, but the rocket will be lighter and more stable without the plastic pieces. It's also not primed or painted yet, but there's a launch with the Cub Scouts this weekend and I want to fly it.

So, you're actually launching an upscale Quest Intruder then? :p

Go ahead and glue 'em on there. The cement or epoxy should be plenty dry by the weekend.;) This is still a great performer even with the plastic bits. I really don't see any advantage to leaving them off. Your model though.:)

I don't have the plastic bits painted yet, and I want to paint them separately, like it suggests in the instructions.

John,

TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION... (geeze... :) )

You shouldn't have any problem. Leaving these items off will actually move the CG forward because you are removing weight from the tail, aiding in stability.

Removing the wing pods will also tend to move the CP forward as well, but I wouldn't suspect by much.

If you are still uncomfortable, see if you can get a flight in ahead of time, on your own.

Good luck!

(answer his question... ...whatta concept... LOL) :D
j

j
I couldn't answer his question because the thought of flying a model without it being painted and decaled is inconceivable and wouldn't register in my mind. :p

I don't have the plastic bits painted yet, and I want to paint them separately, like it suggests in the instructions.

I dunno, took me all of half an hour to paint the thing, Tailcone black, pods flourescent orange, entire body white. Leave 'em for a couple of hours, come back and attach with thick CA. (didn't paint the upper probes, no sense in wasting white paint!)

Decals, well.. that's another problem entirely!

I couldn't answer his question because the thought of flying a model without it being painted and decaled is inconceivable and wouldn't register in my mind. :p

Bob,
I find the thought of flying a model without it being painted and decaled *entirely* conceivable.

If I remember correctly, I even flew my Rokitflite Odyssey without it being painted and decaled... and you gave me a hard time about *that*, too!
:mad::surprised::D

Please refer to these links:
https://72.224.24.173/epub/pbride/sounds/inconc1.wav
https://72.224.24.173/epub/pbride/sounds/inconc.wav

John,

TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION... (geeze... :) )

You shouldn't have any problem. Leaving these items off will actually move the CG forward because you are removing weight from the tail, aiding in stability.

Removing the wing pods will also tend to move the CP forward as well, but I wouldn't suspect by much.

If you are still uncomfortable, see if you can get a flight in ahead of time, on your own.

Good luck!

j

Jim, thanks for answering the question.

What you said confirms exactly what I thought. I wasn't uncomfortable, I was just trying to make sure there wasn't something I was overlooking.

Go for it.. I've done a bunch of nekkid rockets and haven't been lynched by BAR's.
Mr. Bob
The Starlight Dude

Bob,
I find the thought of flying a model without it being painted and decaled *entirely* conceivable.

If I remember correctly, I even flew my Rokitflite Odyssey without it being painted and decaled... and you gave me a hard time about *that*, too!
:mad::surprised::D
I'm not giving you a hard time..;) You can do what you want, but for me, I won't even fly a rocket in it's underwear (primer).

If I waited till my missiles were painted, I'd have to sit home on launch days.

Can anyone let me know which vendor has the PWP-EJ pods (or the balsa ones) and the PTC55-EJ tailcones in stock?
I've googled it up the wazoo and came up nada. Semroc,Rocketarium,etc.
Throw me a bone here?:bang:

Back