Krylon paint has changed!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCIGS30

Reaction score
I recently bought a new can of Krylon gloss white and noticed the can was different. I also noticed that the back no longer reads "re coat anytime". I use only Krylon because of its re coat properties. The back now reads " re-coat within 1 hour or after 24 hours" I emailed Krylon and this is what they said
Hi David,

Thank you for your inquiry with the Krylon website. We appreciate you
taking the time to contact us.

Yes, the Indoor/Outdoor line has replaced the Interior-Exterior line, and
the formulation for this product is different. While the Interior-Exterior
line was an acrylic lacquer, the new Indoor/Outdoor line is a VT (Vinyl
Toluene) Alkyd enamel.

Thank you again for your inquiry. If you have any other questions, please
reply with complete message history and my name in the subject line, and I
will respond as quickly as possible.

Sincerely,
Eric
Krylon Product Support

What other brand in out there that has re coat anytime properties?

Colorplace(walmart) paints state you can recoat within 4 hours(sounds almost "anytime" to me) or after 1 week to avoid 'lifting'...

HO Crap!
I'd heard SW had purchased Krylon but had hoped they weren't going to screw around with the formulas! I've also heard but not seen that new packaging has those awful large flat nozzles that will not allow use of attachment handles. did your new can have a different nozzle as wellSCIGS30?

PJ:
Recoat anytime means just that, from 30seconds to day's later. It's the one and only reason Krylon has such a good reputation for NOT lifting or crazing over itself or lots of other materials.
This formula Change to VT Alkyd is not good news:(

The new nozzle stinks. It sprays to wide of a pattern, you end up with a lot of waste on small rockets. It is great if you are doing large tubes.

Bummer. I guess I'll have to go buy an airbrush or sprayer. Krylon was the only rattle-can paint I could get decent results from. I might try the Wal-Mart stuff, but I've been eyeing all the colors available in car and airbrush paints.

Looks like I started paying attention (can't really say discovered) to Dupli-color just in time.

Bummer. I guess I'll have to go buy an airbrush or sprayer. Krylon was the only rattle-can paint I could get decent results from. I might try the Wal-Mart stuff, but I've been eyeing all the colors available in car and airbrush paints.

Do it, you won't want to go back. I'm waiting on an order of House of Kolor paint right now. Try Spaz-Stix from Tower Hobbies. It's a little expensive, but it is an easy way to try "automotive" paint. It comes ready to spray through an airbrush.

That's too bad about Krylon. IMHO it was the best spray can paint for our purposes.

I'm going right now to several stores and buy up some of my favorite Krylon colors!:mad:

I wonder if they'll wait six months and then rerelease the old formula as "New and Improved."

For a small additional fee, of course.

I just got some Valspar spray cans (a white primer and a gloss white acrylic) that I'm going to try on a few of mine; they too have the big flat nozzles. I'll post up what I see. But I think it has the longer recoat wait time.

use the nozzle straw off a can of wd-40 or similar product....gives you "faux" air brush like spray...:D

I wonder if they'll wait six months and then rerelease the old formula as "New and Improved."

For a small additional fee, of course.

No, it will be called "Classic" Krylon...

Well... I just bought 20 cans of the old stuff from 3 different Wal-Marts so if I stay at the same rocket building pace I have been at for the last 10 years, it will last me forever.:D

Yes its a different nozzle. I did email the company to let them know what I thought, I hope others do the same. In the mean time I need a lesson in paints....acrylic lacquer vs Alkyd enamel. Also how good are the paints sold at Auto Stores? Are they a lacquer paint? The search is on for a replacement.

While the selection isn't as wide as some other brands, Dupli-Color is an acrylic lacquer sold at many auto parts stores as a touch-up paint. They have recently(6 months or so) started selling basic colors(primer, white, black, red, blue, silver, orange, yellow, clear) in quart sizes which are perfect for HVLP setups. It gives an automotive smooth finish. It isn't as cheap as most other brands but it covers very well (most in only 1 coat) and drys in minutes.

https://www.duplicolor.com/index.html

-Aaron

I am doing some research and it appears that Plastikote brand also has a re-coat anytime. I am looking for spray cans. I know for years the plastic modelers swear by the Automotive paint rattle cans.

I knew I should have bought more during that 1/2 price sale at Michaels a few weeks ago!

Funny, a thread on YORF showed up a few days ago on the same subject, and it seems to lean toward the favorable side of the change...didn't catch the formula change until I read this thread though...just bought some cans to paint the "Zooch Method" shuttle ET foam and 2/3 had the new nozzle.

...Well... I just bought 20 cans of the old stuff from 3 different Wal-Marts so if I stay at the same rocket building pace I have been at for the last 10 years, it will last me forever.:D
Stay away from the Westminster WalMart, Scott! It's mine!

I recently bought a new can of Krylon gloss white and noticed the can was different. I also noticed that the back no longer reads "re coat anytime". I use only Krylon because of its re coat properties. The back now reads " re-coat within 1 hour or after 24 hours" I emailed Krylon and this is what they said
Hi David,

Thank you for your inquiry with the Krylon website. We appreciate you
taking the time to contact us.

Yes, the Indoor/Outdoor line has replaced the Interior-Exterior line, and
the formulation for this product is different. While the Interior-Exterior
line was an acrylic lacquer, the new Indoor/Outdoor line is a VT (Vinyl
Toluene) Alkyd enamel.

Thank you again for your inquiry. If you have any other questions, please
reply with complete message history and my name in the subject line, and I
will respond as quickly as possible.

Sincerely,
Eric
Krylon Product Support

What other brand in out there that has re coat anytime properties?

Thanks for the heads-up! I bought some of the new stuff but, haven't used it yet. I didn't read the label. I was thinking it was just new packaging.

I am doing some research and it appears that Plastikote brand also has a re-coat anytime. I am looking for spray cans. I know for years the plastic modelers swear by the Automotive paint rattle cans.

The "old" Plastikote was recoat anytime,now the "new" stuff is similar to Dupli-Color--recoat within 1 hour or after 36 hrs. Even after waiting over 48 hrs, 3M
blue painters tape left an impression in the roll pattern/panels(black/white) on my BSD IRIS.

Stay away from the Westminster WalMart, Scott! It's mine!

Best of luck!:D The hardest to find was Gloss Black, Banner Red and whatever Yellow it is that they make. I finally ended up with 2 cans of each of the common colors and 5 cans of Gloss White.

why krylon........why!!!.ohh the humanity !

( I better stock up on white)

For anyone looking at Dupli-color, avoid their black lacquer (not the touch-up paint). It took over a week for the strong paint smell to go away, and it didn't have very good coverage.

The re-coat after 10-12 min. sure was nice. So far I haven't seen the new variety on the shelves. How recently did this happen?

LOL!!!!
I don't know what it is about spray can BLACKs, They all Stink to high heaven!
I sprayed a Z-Gauge Train Cabinet with several coats of Krylon Gloss black in the basement and the neighbors thought we had a gas leak! Almost called the gas company! Stunk for about 3 days! IT was kinda funny!!!
Jusy loved the High Gloss from the Acrylic Lacquer formula. VT Alkyds....I just don't know!!!....Gonna have to dust off my Airbrush and detailing guns I think.

I think I just bought more spray paint then I have since I was 14...

Does anyone know how long this paint will last in storage if you stock up on it? I just bought a bunch and need to store it. Also Krylon advised me that there is still a lot of stock left and can be ordered by suppliers. Just have the dealer order Interior-Exterior line vs the new Indoor-Outdoor line. Hope this helps.

Does anyone know how long this paint will last in storage if you stock up on it? I just bought a bunch and need to store it. Also Krylon advised me that there is still a lot of stock left and can be ordered by suppliers. Just have the dealer order Interior-Exterior line vs the new Indoor-Outdoor line. Hope this helps.

Don't know for sure, but I just used an old can of Krylon Gloss Black that has the five colors on the front, but they are depicted as 2-d disks instead of 3-d balls... The can spat the paint out, but as long as I managed to get even coverage, it dried nice and level, not bumpy.

I've got an 18 year old can of Dupli-Color Gloss Black (labeled as "Color-All" from WalMart), and I'm going to try it on something soon and report back on it. Different pigments, however, can give different results.

Back