Krylon paint has changed!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love that photo, SIGS30! You must really like flat white paint jobs. Looks like you've got a pretty good stockpile there. But how did that can of new-formula tan sneak in there on the bottom row? ;)

Sorry to hear about your paint problems, rangerstl, but at least I feel vindicated for adding to my collection of old formula cans. Just curious: you mentioned recoating in 4 hours; the instructions say "within 1 hour or after 24 hours" - I wonder if that had anything to do with the lifting problem. Your description of your results with the new stuff makes me have no inclination at all to use it - sounds way worse than Rustoleum. Thanks for sharing your results.

dang scigs ... thats almost a serious fire hazard..!

Thats why I store away from open flames:D
The flat is a lot easier to come by than the Glossy white. What I have been doing is applying one coat of grey primer, sand smooth and apply a coat of flat white followed by one coat of glossy white.
The Tan color was used for one of my balsa planes I was building. It is a perfect match to the tissue. With my model planes dry times are not as important as with the rockets.

Well, the re-coat at 4 hrs may not have been a good idea, but the problems started on the 24 hr re-coat.

This is an on-going saga and I'm trying to keep updating on TRF, but I've switched to the product reviews forum. I've just sanded and polished out the crazing and things seem to be OK for now. I've got the surface smooth and brought some gloss back. Not perfect, but the paint wasn't letting that happen anyway.

It sands and polishes really nicely, doesn't load up the sand paper or ball up and tear like some softer paints can. The biggest problems I have with it are that it doesn't self-level and if you spray from 8 inches away, you get a sandy powdery finish. You have to get right up on your work and hose it down with a heavy coat from close range.

For comparison I used the previous formula on the nose cone and like working with it lots better.

See the product review forum.

Wow! I can't believe there is this much worry over the loss of Krylon. I used to be a Krylon guy too until I discovered the magic of Dupli-Color. I know there are some on here who aren't sold, but as far as the Primer, there is basic and there is high-build. I prefer the high build, it completely fills pin holes etc. in one layer. That means less primer is used thus off setting the tiny extra cost. As far as the paints, you need to find an automotive store that carries all of thier products. They have many colors in the regular size can. They have really cool colors in the smaller cans yes. They dry alomost instantly, and I have never had a re-coat issue, except for layering too thick which may cause some "orange peeling". They even have high temp engine enamels which go on thick, tough, and can take long hot days in the sun.

I am sure most of you are familiar with my results with Dupli-Color, but for those of you who aren't here are some examples.

High Build Primer
talonrebuild21.jpg

Metallic Paint and Effex Clear Coat
talonrebuild31.jpg

more of the same
talonrebuild27.jpg

talonrebuild34.jpg

Brent

I think I'll be going to DupliColor.
Yesterday I shot a rocket with Valspar clear enamel.
I also sprayed an RC boat with white DupliColor lacquer.
The Valspar atomized terrible, Just couldn't get it to flow without flooding it.
The white DupliColor, with it's superior nozzle, layed down light and slick.
Thinking that I'd be limited in colors, I went to the DupliColor site and was floored at all the effects available.

Wow! I can't believe there is this much worry over the loss of Krylon. I used to be a Krylon guy too until I discovered the magic of Dupli-Color. I know there are some on here who aren't sold, but as far as the Primer, there is basic and there is high-build. I prefer the high build, it completely fills pin holes etc. in one layer. That means less primer is used thus off setting the tiny extra cost. As far as the paints, you need to find an automotive store that carries all of thier products. They have many colors in the regular size can. They have really cool colors in the smaller cans yes. They dry alomost instantly, and I have never had a re-coat issue, except for layering too thick which may cause some "orange peeling". They even have high temp engine enamels which go on thick, tough, and can take long hot days in the sun.

Brent

So in other words you would probably be upset if they changed Dupli-Color. Those of us who liked and were used to using Krylon (in my case for about 20 years) have every right to be upset with the change. :mad:

Well when put that way, I can see your point. Yes I would be upset "if" I couldn't find something suitable or better hence my migration to a far superior paint IMHO.

Brent

Well, honestly I never used a rattle can paint on a model until last week. Before this I had always been an airbrusher. But with these rockets being somewhat large compared to a 1/48 scale P-51 I thought the rattle can might be a good thing to try.

I'm trying the heat on the next rocket. If that doesn't work I'm returning all the Krylon and going back to airbrushing.

mach 66- after seeing that finish, I think I'll dump Krylon and change! I've often been disappointed at the lack of color choices. and I would like to try some of those color changing ones. Beautiful model!!!!! I guess I'll just let my students at school use up the last of my Krylon.

I really like the duplicolor high build primers and enamels but compared to krylon it's expensive! thats one reason krylon is/was so popular , and mainly with the ability to recoat anytime.

Duplicolor makes Acrylic lacquer, but it is expensive when compared to 2.50 can of Kylon. I am sure the Enamel based Krylon is fine, but for my building it will not work. My days off permit me to spray a color one day and mask and spray the second color the next day. Enamels for the most part don't allow me to do this. Sometimes it takes up to a week before I can mask and spray. Krylon you could mask the same day if you want, but I always played it safe and waited one day.

Does anyone know of a recoat anytime enamel other then the old Krylon?
Maybe in another brand? I have yet to find one.
:cry:

I am doing some research and it appears that Plastikote brand also has a re-coat anytime. I am looking for spray cans. I know for years the plastic modelers swear by the Automotive paint rattle cans.
Sorry I'm getting in on this discussion a little late (haven't read all the posts) but I also loved (past tense) the Plasti-Kote spray paint. Very similar characteristics to the "classic" Krylon. Advance Auto used to carry Plasti-Kote and then they stopped. Then I found it at Pep Boys and they stopped carrying it too. I can't find it anymore in my area...

Sorry I'm getting in on this discussion a little late (haven't read all the posts) but I also loved (past tense) the Plasti-Kote spray paint. Very similar characteristics to the "classic" Krylon. Advance Auto used to carry Plasti-Kote and then they stopped. Then I found it at Pep Boys and they stopped carrying it too. I can't find it anymore in my area...

Sorry about the late post. Plasti-kote is available at Car Quest Auto Parts,but they have also recently changed their formula.The "recoat anytime" feature has been replaced by "recoat within 1 hr or after 36hrs",similar to Dupli-Color,I think. I really liked the old formula,best enamel around IMO. Some of the Wal-Marts in my area still have the "old" Krylon,I'll be making the rounds and buying it up.

Just in case anyone is interested, Hobby Lobby has a web coupon this week for 30% off Krylon paint. Mine still has lots of the old stuff on the shelf. I'm thinking they will have less of it next week!:D

I was thrilled to find out that the Tamiya model spray paints go over the old Krylon perfectly! GREAT spray pattern and fast drying too. Now I just need to have a good stockpile of the old gloss white Krylon and I will be happy:D.

I'll always recommend Montana paints...

https://www.montana-cans.de/

They're low pressure, paint forever, you can fit any type of cap on it (fat caps, fans, thins) and best of all the colors are amazing

... if you click your way to the Montana Gold you'll see what I'm talking about with the color selection

I'll always recommend Montana paints...

https://www.montana-cans.de/

They're low pressure, paint forever, you can fit any type of cap on it (fat caps, fans, thins) and best of all the colors are amazing

... if you click your way to the Montana Gold you'll see what I'm talking about with the color selection

Looks interesting and the prices are not too bad, but everything I clicked on in their store was sold out. Also, how bad is the shipping for them?

Back