Ram Air Induction -ducted rocket propulsion augmentation

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Retro

I was too terse in my reply.

The point of my reply is that you are building a missile, not a rocket because your ram jet is not a rocket motor. As such it does not come under BATFE regulation provided you do not use a low explosive propellant, and they don't consider it a potential weapon. It is also not something that can be certified by NAR, TRA or CAR because it is not a rocket motor.

If you require a rocket motor to get it up to speed, then you need a BAFTE permit to purchase the high power rocket motor to get it to speed, so you really haven't gained anything on the regulatory front.

In either case, you will need an FAA waiver to test fly it, but since it's a missile and not a rocket, I'm not sure how you would go about getting the waiver because the rocket launch waivers are not applicable IMO.

Bob

I was too terse in my reply.

Not really you we're making a valid point. I hope to keep it small in the "G-range" and build with composites to keep it light as possible. NACA used .093 thick stainless for the ramjet body tube and (one of the same) combustion chamber. They had lean burn through issues past 15 second burns. I plan to use convolute wrap composites with phenolic liner of equal strength. The wall thickness surrounding the combustion chamber is my main weight challenge. But this all speculation now. I will start with simple thrust augmentation (rocket in tube) TRA and progress from there towards EX ramjet cycle. Missile or rocket...I'm not sure? Guess I'll find out.

ARIES-R1 testing ejector motor function no instrumentation. First test flight on G80 power at NCR Oktoberfest. Very stable flight in moderate wind seems ROCsim "overly stable" estimate was not a concern. Wonder if "tube fin" effect of the design adds to stability? Recovery related failure resulted in a hard prang. Repairable ready to fly again soon. Static test of ejector motor performance upcoming. Graphite nozzle showed no sign of heat damage from ejector burn. Ceramic coating on airframe ID undamaged by ejector motor burn. Paraffin based ram jet fuel core and solid fuel booster version testing winter /spring 09.

View attachment Aries-1Test 004.JPG

View attachment Aries-1Test 006.JPG

View attachment Aries-1Test 007.JPG

View attachment Aries-1Test 009.JPG

I was looking at some old jetex designs and I noticed that they used to sell "thrust augmenter" tubes. These were of a larger diameter than the Jetex unit itself and it was supposed to "augment" the thrust...somehow.

Then I was looking at the Lil Augie and Augie, 2 ducted propulsion designs from the 60's....

So that got me to thinking; I am fully aware of the Krushnic effect... but what if you had a model rocket motor thrusting into a slighlty larger diameter tube, such as air was "rammed" into a scoop such that this slowed down air was directed right along side the exhaust plume.

would this work to increase the actual thrust of the motor?

What I'm thinking of is some kind of ram air induction system ..I know that model rockets generaly stay subsonic, but would some air still be compressed some?

I did some patent seraches and other resarch and there are air breathing solid propellant rocket motors.... but they direct the rammed air directly into the top of the solid propellant rocket motor....

I'll try and get a rough drawing up soon

thanks

terry dean
nar 16158

From what you describe I'd say it's making use of the Venturi effect... same principle as old style carburators and water well jet pumps. Fluid (air or water) is drawn in from an open port, through a narrowed passage, which increases the velocity (and lowers pressure per the Bernoulli principle) and increases the mass going out the back. https://www.aymcdonald.com/GenInfo/Pumps/Pump Basic-Sizing.pdf Carburators use the pressure drop to draw a liquid into the airstream and atomize it; a water well jet is a far better example as it uses a high pressure high velocity stream injected into the fluid exiting through an enlarged nozzle, drawing the surrounding fluid along with the stream and increasing the mass of pumped fluid. The tradeoff is a pressure drop and while increasing the MASS of moved fluid, the VELOCITY of the combined stream is much lower. These types of things are used in jet agitators in spray tanks for agricultural spraying as well. Use high pressure/velocity pump overflow to induce high volume circulation of the spray mixture in the tank to keep the chemicals properly suspended or mixed. https://www.deindustrial.com/category-s/788.htm

Now, the problem is, in a Jetex motor the thrust is low, and you WANT low thrust... G. Harry Stine in the 'Handbook of Model Rocketry' described some of the spectacular failures that occurred when folks tried to use high thrust model rocket motors in place of low thrust Jetex's. Folks who tried Jetex's in rockets commonly found they wouldn't lift off the pad or would be unstable because the thrust was too low to build sufficient speed for stabilization. If you try this principle on a rocket, you'll probably see much the same results as with the Krushnik effect. Probably not as pronounced, due to the Krushnik effect commonly occurring on rockets where the engine is recessed too deeply in the body tube, and the exhaust plume of the rocket engine over expands and becomes turbulent and thrust drops precipitously. With the open ports to the surrounding air, some air should be drawn in to minimize the turbulence, but it will be reducing the effective exhaust jet velocity of the engine by creating the 'suction' to draw in the surrounding air and propel it out the back, which will show up as reduced thrust.

The closest I've seen to this idea is something John Pursley is working on, on 'large diameter' (say BT-60 or above), using ports on the side of the rocket near the bottom between the fins to allow the air to enter the cavity surrounding the motor mount, drawn in by the base drag 'vaccuum', to reduce base drag. He isn't using scoops though, and I bet the reason why is that scoops projecting out into the slipstream would create as much or more drag than they would reduce, and the venturi effect will draw in air from flat ports as the base drag vaccuum increases in intensity as velocity increases after liftoff. In discussing the project, he said (and I completely agree) that much work remains to be done to prove the concept, in the shape, size, location, and number of ports, and their actual effect on the flight compared to the rocket flown with it's ports taped over.

It's a fascinating subject and would make a really good NARAM R&D project.
My own experience tells me that while it's an intriguing idea to reduce base drag on large diameter models, it has yet to be verified with measured performance data, let alone the research on the effect of size/shape/number of ports. As far as 'thrust augmentation' goes, I would seriously doubt any positive effect could be gained, due to trading lowered velocity of the motor exhaust stream for increased mass of the combined air+motor exhaust stream, and any 'scoops' used to 'ram air' into the system would create more drag than they produced in thrust (second law of thermodynamics). Basic physics... :)

Good luck and let us know of your results if you experiment with this! OL JR :)

As far as 'thrust augmentation' goes, I would seriously doubt any positive effect could be gained, due to trading lowered velocity of the motor exhaust stream for increased mass of the combined air+motor exhaust stream, and any 'scoops' used to 'ram air' into the system would create more drag than they produced in thrust (second law of thermodynamics). Basic physics... :)

Good luck and let us know of your results if you experiment with this! OL JR :)

That is what I guessed. But it does work with a pulse jet.

Key is the area ratio of inlet/tube/exhaust nozzle and diffuser effect. The model I'm testing is a mach 2 SFRJ design point concept. The ratio's can be tweaked for lower subsonic augmented effects. Longer burn motors 2-3 seconds would be ideal as the induced air is heated and accelerated in the tube and nozzle. Much of this thermal energy would otherwise be wasted in a normal rocket motor exhaust. Krushnic effect is avoided by the induction ejector flow. Ducted rocket concept opens up many new design possibilities as I will demonstrate in the near future. It also significantly alters CG/CP problems associated with some tail heavy designs.

Key is the area ratio of inlet/tube/exhaust nozzle and diffuser effect. The model I'm testing is a mach 2 SFRJ design point concept. The ratio's can be tweaked for lower subsonic augmented effects. Longer burn motors 2-3 seconds would be ideal as the induced air is heated and accelerated in the tube and nozzle. Much of this thermal energy would otherwise be wasted in a normal rocket motor exhaust. Krushnic effect is avoided by the induction ejector flow. Ducted rocket concept opens up many new design possibilities as I will demonstrate in the near future. It also significantly alters CG/CP problems associated with some tail heavy designs.

Ok, I was responding to the original post before reading the rest of the thread... If you're introducing a fuel into this airflow or otherwise imparting energy into it (thermal expansion) then you would gain appreciable thrust. The original post led me to believe that the original intent was to simply draw surrounding air into the high velocity exhaust stream of the rocket engine as it left the nozzle. Thermal transfer would help increase the air exit velocity but would require a divergent nozzle to capture any thrust augmentation (I would think empirically) One other thought occurred to me while reading this-What about using the heat given off by the burning metal flakes in Skidmark rocket motors to increase the exhaust energy, perhaps using a second expansion nozzle??

Just thinking out loud... :) OL JR :)

Linsay Audin back at NARAM 8 did such a research report on the Krusnic effect using manometers to discern the pressures and discovered that there was no Krushnic effect when using a ducted rocket design.

More R&D is indeed needed but I tend to think that with BP motors generated close to 60% of their exhaust products as solid particles versus gaseous products, the addition of air and the duct itself may result in additional and complete buring by the confinement of the exhaust stream entrained with the air, resulting in some additional thrust. The duct acts as an afterburner in this case. Ad a nozzle to it and you might have something.

I have also considered several model rocket designs that use a fuel "ring" made from APCP or BP such that in the afterburner part of the duct, the exhaust stream starts the fuel ring burning and the air/exhaust/fuel ring combo produces additonal thrust with an aft duct nozzle.

I have seen an 1980's R&D report performed by Bob Parks where he took a look at nozzle extensions to typical Bp motors and there seemed to be a small thrust increase but it was within the margin of error.

terry dean

I who am rarely confused, is. Is this duct at the inlet, or around the exhuast?

PHP:
What about using the heat given off by the burning metal flakes in Skidmark rocket motors to increase the exhaust energy, perhaps using a second expansion nozzle?

Yes I like that idea why just waste that heat energy.

PHP:
perhaps using a second expansion nozzle?

I use a second graphite expansion nozzle glued into the aft end of the airframe
tube. It can be seen in the aft end pic (% of tube area) as a light gray ring. The airframe tube is lined with a thin light ceramic/basalt liner. This is not just a simple motor in tube design. Real fluid dynamics formula is applied.

HTML:

Ejector motor located inside a inlet/diffuser/rocket ejector combustion tube/expansion nozzle. See drawing.

ARIES 1.jpg

HTML:

Ejector motor located inside a inlet/diffuser/rocket ejector combustion tube/expansion nozzle. See drawing.

OK, I see now.

Back