Accelerometer-based apogee deployment?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TWRackers

Reaction score
So, what's currenty available in the way of accelerometer-based altimeters that can be used for apogee detection and deployment? So far I've looked at the ARTS2 (pricey) and the Parrot (currently in beta test). Any others I need to check out?

EDIT: Okay, I've read up on the PICO-AA1 also.

So, what's currenty available in the way of accelerometer-based altimeters that can be used for apogee detection and deployment? So far I've looked at the ARTS2 (pricey) and the Parrot (currently in beta test). Any others I need to check out?

EDIT: Okay, I've read up on the PICO-AA1 also.

Hi TW,

You forgot the RDAS.

I would also like to quipp that the ARTS2 is not pricey for what it does as a full function flight computer.

I also would like to say I have the PICO-AA1 as well I use for special projects. It works great as a tiny apogee detector for my large fat rockets with single deploy that need electronics due to motor reasons, as well as my min diameter projects that need a mach meter.

I just got a Parrot and we will see what it does.

For the record I have 3 ARTS units and three MAWDs to keep my fleet moving most of the time.

If thats all you want the pico is probably your best bet...

But with larger units come more functionality (and space and weight restrictions)...

My 38mm bird is getting a pico due to its size and G-force capabilities, but I'd rather get much more data from my Mc2 if it would fit... obviously...

It all depends on the app.

I would get the Parrot over the Pico, unless you need >70G capability. More data, and an integrated battery.

However, the larger units, as said before, have more functionality. I have an R-DAS tiny and love it, and the ARTS looks wonderful too.

Back