3" min dia rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably still better than any of my finishes! :cry:

Yeah I'm still having fun & games with these break points....I am using 1/8" Kevlar ( for my 38mm, not sure about the 54mm) and at first I used too much tape and too many wraps. I could not get it to break, and neither could my Dad....

Getting it a bit more 'honed in' now though...I have 2 bundles of shockcord, the first with two wraps of tape, one each end, and the second with one in the center. I am now using only 1 'layer' (once around the bundle) of tape, seems about right....

Ethan

I just finished the rocket up. A bunch of wet sanding and 3 coats of wax. The finished weight less the motor ready to fly is 4.875 pounds. I was able to do some ground testing this morning. 1 gram for apogee and 1.5 grams for the main in latek tubeing did the trick. I think it's ready for XPRS. I hope to fly it Friday morning.
Tony

4.875 pounds! wow......

BTW I like the name they gave it on the XPRS site....VERY appropriate ;)

Good luck with the flight! Should S-C-R-E-A-M.

Ethan.

P.S Has anyone worked out that spreadsheet? PM me.

I just got home from XPRS. Had to wait for Saturday for some great weather. all loaded ready to go was 17.75 pounds. Motor lit instanly came out of the tower nice and straight. veered off just a tad but no big deal. Fins all stayed attached. Found it out just over 3 miles. Had a zipper that is easyly repaired.

G-wiz 31,773
ARTS2 35,250
Average 33,511
Pulled 18.4 G's
mach 1.7

Here's a photo pulled from my video camera.
Tower.jpg

I should have some more and better photos in a few days. I plan on flying it again at Balls on an EX M550. Attached is the ARTS file.
Tony

I had trouble hearing the LCO from time to time but I think I caught your flight!

That is awesome!!!!

What is the current alt record...? I believe it was Greg's bird on the M2500...

I thought Jim Wilkerson had it at about 35K on an M795....

Maybe not.

Anyways great flight Tony! What case are you using for the M550?

Ethan

Beautiful pic Tony....wish I could have been there to see the flight.
Truly an awesome rocket.
Thanks for sharing all of the tips and procedures that you've given us in this thread, especially the nosecone of which you were kind enough to answer my many questions.:D
Hopefully my finished product will will be comparable to yours.

Sounds like the 1/2 " kevlar used for the drogue didn't slow it down enough? So, would longer kevlar line help enough?

Mike

Tony,

Excellent work on this, what a beautiful rocket, and I dare say you might be holding a new record if it wasn't for the corkscrewing on the way up.

It looks like your upper coupler (the one that's not the motor) is only about 6 inches long... is that correct? it seems far too short to me to be stable, but then again, this whole rocket looks too short to be stable to me! :p

Once again, great job!

Back