legacy vs weasel

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eaglesfn68

Reaction score
ok i already built an AURA and wanted something a little harder to build. what do you think about these two rockets and which one would you choose.

I got both of them, the weasel is less prone to break off a fin. Other than the fins they are pretty much the same.

I personally like the Weasel better because it looks sleeker, like it was built for pure speed. But if you're going for performance, it doesn't really matter which one you get. They are almost identical in performance.

If it was me I would look for a vulcanite, gives you better range of use and has TTW fins. Just my 2 cents.

I haven't built the Weasel. I recently finished and flew the Legacy. I LOVE IT on the F23-7FJ. Slow and dramatic.

Here's the launch video

And here's my thread about the positive motor retainer I made out of a Diet Pepsi bottle.

IF you do go with the Legacy, I recommend starting with at least a 20" parachute. It came with a 14" chute, I flew it on an 18" chute and it still came down too fast and cracked a fin.

Originally posted by paparoof
I haven't built the Weasel. I recently finished and flew the Legacy. I LOVE IT on the F23-7FJ. Slow and dramatic.

Here's the launch video

And here's my thread about the positive motor retainer I made out of a Diet Pepsi bottle.

IF you do go with the Legacy, I recommend starting with at least a 20" parachute. It came with a 14" chute, I flew it on an 18" chute and it still came down too fast and cracked a fin.

Wow, nice flight! Good job! Nice black smoke too. :D

Originally posted by krsconstruction
If it was me I would look for a vulcanite, gives you better range of use and has TTW fins. Just my 2 cents.
I built my Weasel with TTW fins. Look nice and flies great.

At NSL it came down so hard that the top body tube section (the piece with the nose cone) stuck into the hard Indiana ground but no fins were broken. X-type chute collapsed because I didn't use a swivel. There is not damage to the Weasel. It is build like a tank when you build it with TTW fins.

I am not knocking the Legacy at all just giving my experience with the Weasel.

Let us know which way you go though.

the weasel doesn't have TTW from the factory does it? That's a self-MOD isn't it?

Originally posted by paparoof
the weasel doesn't have TTW from the factory does it? That's a self-MOD isn't it?
Correct. I purchased my Weasel from Art Upton, Cowboy Rocketry, and he sent me pictures on how he did his TTW. I followed his lead and I am happy with the results. His method is to mount the fins to the mmt, slot the body tube and slide the fins/mmt assembly into the slotted body tubes. For the shock cord, he ties it (he used kevlar) around the front of the mmt and taped it down. The whole assembly was held in with an adhesive type caulk. I was too chicken to do that so I permanently glued mine in. The advantage of the way Art did it is he can slide the assembly out and replace the shock cord easily.

I made my legacy TTW also. I cut new fins so it wouldnt look any diffrent tho.

My son made TTWTTM fins for his Weasel, but it's still on the workbench awaiting final details.

One motor that I would NOT recommend for the Legacy is the Ellis Mountain G35! :eek: I flew mine on this combination several months ago. The inital boost was OK, but then it laid over and off she went! I think it traveled farther under power horizontally than it did vertically. I was surprised due to the Legacy's relatively [key word here] low weight.

thanks for the help everybody. i've decided to go with the weasel. ill order it in a day or to and post pictures in a week or so i quess.

just one more question

MAXPOWER and everybody else if you have any help on doing TTW fins that would be great.What wood should i use. just plywood or anything special. and do i have to do anything to compensate for the extra weight.

and not trying to cause a riot or anything but is just plain old wood glue and CA ok. i was also thinking about brushing a layer of wood glue on the fins and letting it soak in for reinforcement. is this needed or not. thxs again.

Back