Directions to Paris, by way of New York

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnie

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how to get from New York to Paris? I know Google can.

1) Go to Google.com

2) click on maps at the top of the page

3) click on get directions

4)type from New York, New York to Paris, France

5) Read Line 23.

Johnnie

If you type in Dublin, Ireland to New York, NY (instead of New York, NY to Dublin, Ireland), the time to destination is longer?:confused: :p Anyways, I'd hate to be the person to swim across the Atlantic.:p

Originally posted by jj94
If you type in Dublin, Ireland to New York, NY (instead of New York, NY to Dublin, Ireland), the time to destination is longer?:confused: :p Anyways, I'd hate to be the person to swim across the Atlantic.:p

probably the current. LOL

Type Miami, Florida or similar to Paris or Dublin or whatever. I like how it has you drive to New York first then swim across the Atlantic.

When you get to Europe try to make landfall in the UK. Towards the top of the Bristol Channel you'll come to the FOG launchsite. You could launch a few rockets before moving on to Paris.

Originally posted by Phil
When you get to Europe try to make landfall in the UK. Towards the top of the Bristol Channel you'll come to the FOG launchsite. You could launch a few rockets before moving on to Paris.
Other way round. If you follow the Google instructions, which take you from America to Ireland via France, England and Wales, you can visit your choice of UK launch site and launch some rockets after visiting Paris. :D

I put in Earth to Mars, and got a result of 1,421 miles.
Earth, TX to Mars, PA.
I didn't ask for the states, it just gave them to me.

I asked for Earth to Moon originally.
There's a whole bunch of Moons out there.

So then I tried Cape Canaveral to Tranquility Base.
It starts out right, but ends up only 733 miles away, in Hunstville, AL.

Something tells me NASA wasn't using stuff they got off the web.

"Please tell me Mr. Sagan, are we ever gonna get out of this planet alive?" -- Paul Kantner, Planet Earth Rock and Roll Orchestra

As far as I've been able to tell, wherever you start in the US and wherever you want to go in Europe, it first has you drive to Boston, has you swim the Atlantic to Le Havre, France, and then has you drive to your final destination.

Why would anyone on this forum want to go to France. They have no rocketry clubs.

Because it's on the way to other European countries which do have rocket clubs, and it may be easier to carry your rockets on the Eurostar train than on an aircraft. :)

Incidentally, I tried DynaSoar's suggestion. If you look at the map, Earth TX is near Texas' western border. Not far over the other side of the border is Roswell, New Mexico. And if you enter "Roswell" as one of the locations in Google Map, it can't recognise the name, despite Roswell being clearly visible on the map.

All of which indicates that Google Map was written by aliens. They think swimming the Atlantic is reasonable but also think going to Ireland via mainland Europe, then mainland UK is reasonable, implying that they're primarily water-based beings. In other words, interstellar dolphins. :D

If something like 'New York, NY to Moon' did work, Google would say something like 'Hitch a ride on Space Shuttle. When in orbit, wait until Moon is in sight, and then ignite cluster of 20 T10000's. When 100 ft from surface of Moon, deploy landing gear.':D :p

Latest posts

Back