Bowling Ball Diameter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no idea. Please explain? :rolleyes:

Actually, bowling ball diameter is universal (to the best of my understanding) and you can probably get the info from a manufacturer, or maybe by a correctly phrased Google search.

Maybe it's cuz we're in a hobby where we talk about a 3.90" ID instead of saying 3.9" that I think there are bowling geeks out there with web pages who are just as "precise" (anal) as we (particularly Carl) are. ;)

oi whats up with the anal stuff nasty man

anyways i know that you won't fit it in any of PML tubes probably just might in there 7.5 inch but i dought it

According to the web site https://www.shef.ac.uk/uni/union/susoc/sutbc/wotp/ballrule.html ,

"The circumference of a ball shall not be more than 27.002 inches nor less than 26.704 inches, nor shall it weigh more than 16 Ibs (no minimum weight)."

The circumference of a sphere is Pi times the diameter, so to get the diameter we'll divide the Circumference (27.002 to 26.704 inches) by Pi (3.14159). This gives a range of diameters of 8.595 inches down to 8.500 inches.

Originally posted by KermieD
I have no idea. Please explain? :rolleyes:

Ahh, so you have not heard of the Bowling Ball Loft my friend! Well, put simply, we have to shove a bowling ball to the highest altitude possible using any commercially available K motor. For the past couple of years, they (AHPRA) have been doing 8 lb. balls at LDRS. This year they decided to up the ante and fly 16 lb balls. Insane? Not really--compared to the NAR Payload competition, a K motor would have to loft 62 lbs. in order to have the same ns-weight as the B payload. Spiffy, huh? :D

I was being facetious. I actually saw some really cool photos of a bowling ball lofter gone bad online somewhere (wish I could remember where). The wreckage was neatly lined out about 10 feet in length. The bowling ball, however, was nowhere to be seen! A closeup photo showed that the bowling ball had COMPLETELY buried itself in the turf. I laughed so hard I almost fell off my chair.

Back