Use of Dry Wall Fiberglass tape???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flash

Reaction score
Has anyone used dry wall fiberglass tape to give fins extra strength with their epoxy fillers on the fins?
I am thinking about using it on my Loc Syonic mainly at the motor tube.

Please give me some feed back!

i would help you if i new what the hell you were talking about tell me more i might use it on my rocket

It is white sticky tape made out of fiberglass and it looks like a checker board of squares with 1/8” holes in them. The fiberglass in the size of Estes parachute cords or lines.

It is used on sheet rock in the corners and where ever two sheets of sheet rock or as some call it dry wall are butted together. You put the tape over the seams then plaster.

No, no, no. I know the difference and it's nowhere near the same stuff AND it won't do the job. (Unless you're flying drywall buckets...)

o yeah now i know some people use it on there hockey sticks to protect the would

I have used drywall tape in several experiments, but would not recommend it for typical rocketry applications. Even with epoxy it will not add the strength that standard glass cloth will, not even close. As noted, the 'weave' is both too sparse, and the material itself does not seem to absorb epoxy. The strength of glass/epoxy structure doesn't come from only the two materials, but the composite of the two.

Here is what I have used it for:

- Building up a centering ring on my level-2 rocket. I wrapped multiple layers around the ring, inserted it into the rocket, and soaked the area with epoxy. Strong enough, but heavy and inefficient. Just because it seems to have worked, doesn't mean I'd recommend it. I built the rocket before I got my level-1, and before I learned of r.m.r. (boy I wish I had TRF back then :))
- Strenghtening foam posterboard fins. I applied the tape and covered it in wood glue. In one case I filled the surface and in another left it textured. This was an experiment in non- traditional methods for mid and high-power. These rockets have flown on G125, H123, and H242 motors. Worked fine, but for a normal rocket application, it would pay to go to glass/epoxy.
- Strenghtening the inside of my Art Applewhite 12", 38mm saucer per kit instructions. This is a specialized application and it seems to work well. Once I fly the rocket I'll get a review up on EMRR.

(sorry this was so long)

If you are desperate for fiberglass and can't get to a hobby shop. Auto parts stores carry Bondo brand fiberglass cloth...kinda heavy about 3 or 5oz. cloth...just a guess!

sandman

what i sudjest you do is not use 20g mess on a high power rocket i did it once

I've only used this stuff in one instance and it had nothing to do with pure strength - it worked really well to tighten up a joint between a mmt and a CR. It was a small application, but it takes up the space and holds the epoxy in place, but as for fins and the like - stick with the real thing.

Shane
L2 NAR 79257
L2 TAR 9580

Back