The tale of the Level 3

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PGerringer

Ruler of Heck
Reaction score
by Phil Gerringer. :)

Seriously, after appeasing the household gods (my wife) I was finally able to start project: level 3. Which is affectionately called: Mega-Nuk aka. Wife's New Furniture. I started glassing tonight, I used the mega slow West Systems so it will probably be 24 hours before it is ready to be touched. I have updated the pics:

https://www.cybergatetech.com/phpgraphy/index.php?dir=Rocketry/MegaNuk/

Due to the level 3 rule that you must have a picture of you doing the work, I unfortunately must include my ugly mug in some of the shots as well. Sorry...

Oh, and if you want to see the documentation I have completed so far:

https://www.cybergatetech.com/?parent=project&child=rocketry&sub=rocketry/MegaNuk

This is going to be a fun project.

It appears that you're off to a great start, Phil. I've downloaded the rockSim file and can't wait to look at it -couldn't get the drawings though.
Rock on, Dude! Crank the knob to "full tilt boogey" and tear it off.

LOL... thanks Blip... I glassed the 48" tube as well as the other side of the fins today. Click on the above link to take a look at the pics.

:turning knob: :)

Not sure why you couldn't get to the drawings file. Did you get an error message?

Phil,

I noticed your update to the plans. I think you should have plenty of space now :)

Way Cool!

And a brave man to fiberglass sans gloves...

I tried that...

once...

-Nathan

There wernt no error message. The drawings just wouldn't download. But then, I was anxious and might not have waited long enough. - The need for Instant Gratification can be an ugly thing.-

Well the 2 wraps of 6oz turned out great. I sanded them down and they are very strong. Unfortunately, I don't have enough 2 oz cloth to finish the job. :( I also need my 24" tube from PML to do more 6 oz wraps. But the order isn't here yet. :( Well, I had to do something last night, soooooo, I sat down to drill vent and screw holes in the upper and lower sections. So I start looking for my drill bits, CURSES!!! I don't have a 1/2" or 1/4" drill bits! I forgot to put them on my parts list. So, I marked the tube for the vent holes and the rail buttons and I drilled the few 3/8" holes I did have and went to bad. :(

Oh well, trip to Lowe's today... more to follow...

The drawings took about 20 seconds to get down to my machine and I like to think I have a pretty fast connection.

Nice work Phil, but if you have to be in the pictures, at least show your better side. :D

We don't need any butt crack incidents on this site. :eek:

LOL!!!! Milo, that was my son's smart butt way of taking pictures. Wait till dad is in a compromised position.

The document is fairly large because it has several JPGs attached. Sorry for the inconvenience.. :)

Tonight I finished the vent holes and a few screw holes. Anyone know what drill bit to use to drill a #2 hole? I also started working on the coupler. I got the U bolt in and fastened, then I poured an epoxy well on the top to seal the wood and provide a strong bond. You can catch the pictures at the above link.

Now I wait for my PML order to come in so I can start playing.. :)

Tonight I sanded down the fins. They look great with the 6oz cloth. Now to put the finishing 2oz layer on them.

I also applied the 2oz finishing layer on the upper tube. Tomorrow night should be sanding and priming... :) I sure wish my PML order will arrive... I'm gonna be finished with the pieces before I have them all...

BTW: for those who are keeping score, I also sanded a wall and applied more putty. So, Honey Do List 1, Rocketry 1. :)

Originally posted by PGerringer
Anyone know what drill bit to use to drill a #2 hole?
Phil, I've got a chart at home that will tell me what size bit you should use for a #2 screw pilot hole. Unfortunately, its at home and I'm in San Francisco. If you haven't found it by this weekend, I'll get you the answer. BTW, the glass job looks fantastic!

The Good: My PML order came today with the rest of the parts.
The Bad: PML stuffed the 12" coupler into one of the body tubes approx 11.5" leaving only half an inch to grab to pull the 7.51" coupler out.
The Ugly: In the process of pulling and pulling. It shattered the body tube and damaged the coupler. And it still isn't out.

https://www.cybergatetech.com/phpgraphy/?display=Rocketry/MegaNuk/img_2261.jpg

Damn, why did they stuff it in like that? I tried plyers, banging, and twisting. When the body tube shattered, I even tried to peel it like an egg. But no joy, it is still stuck solid. I'm going to contact PML to see if they can do anything. Sounds like a customer service opportunity.

Diameter for #2 drill is .221 inches.
Pilot hole diameter for 2-56 internal thread is .070 inches, using a #50 drill in most materials. However, if you're going to do it in heavy cardboard or paper: drill a 1/16 hole first, add CA,allow it to cure, then drill the hole again with the #50 and tap.
A clearance hole for a #2 screw should be no less than .086 inches in diameter . . . because that is the theoretical major diameter for a #2 screw (American Standard).

Originally posted by PGerringer
The Good: The Bad: The Ugly:

Ack, sorry to hear about this. I hope PML lives up to their reputation and makes it good ASAP!

Phil - did you try heating the external tube with a hair dryer to see if maybe that would expand it some and let you at least salvage the coupler?

No, I will try warming it a bit, but in the extraction process the coupler got frayed and damaged. :(

Tonight was a slow night.... I covered the 24" tube with 2 layers of 6oz. Then I started assembling the alt bay. Hopefully pics tomorrow.

Good news!!! PML came through for me and is sending replacement parts. Course, he said what I thought he was say: Next time call us and we will correct it before it gets destroyed.

Tonight I sanded and primed the upper body piece. It is almost done priming. It soon will be ready for a color coat.

I also sanded the mid section and drilled vent holes. I then put a coat of primer on it. This time I'm going to try it without 2oz cloth. We will see what happens.

More to come...

Today, I did quite a bit. Pics start here:

https://www.cybergatetech.com/phpgraphy/index.php?dir=Rocketry/MegaNuk/&startpic=15

Along with priming and sanding, I made the retaining blocks for all the 3/8" bolts that I have. I installed the first 6. I also spent some time on the altimeter bay. I dry fit everything. I made adjustments accordingly. I cut the allthread down to an estimated length, but I still have about an inch to remove. I hope to get approval from the TAPs next week to go ahead and glue the bay together. This is going alot faster than I thought.

Phil,

Looked at your altimeter bay, and have a suggestion for mounting altimeter. Put a threaded rod thru the center of the bay. Mount your altimeter on plywood plate, with an attached piece of tubing sized to fit over threaded rod. Could be launch lug material, or brass tubing. Epoxy nut on one end of threaded rod, and use small wingnut on other for quick removal. Board can easily be moved from rocket to rocket.

You can make the plywood board narrower than the bay, for use on smaller rockets. Just put some kind of guide or stop (or maybe tracks the board slides thru) to keep it from rotating. You can use Molex connectors to make a harness so that altimeter can easily be unplugged and moved to another rocket with same harness design.

You can buy threaded rod in a variety of sizes at places like Home Depot.

Cheers,

Thanks for the suggestion. I plan on making channels on the bulkhead to hold the alt board. It will just slide in with no problems. But, that is something I'm still thinking about. I have more pictures of the alt bay coming tonight to give you an idea of what I'm going for.

Nice cone.... but please take a minute to turn your pictures on end... it's hard to turn this monitor on it's side. :D

Back