I need Help

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mateozro

Reaction score
I recently got a 3'' Athena Loc Precisions Rocket Kit with a DMS H182R-14A Motor. I am trying to set up the motor tube but I am confused. The AFT is suppose to go on the motor tube but I am not sure what the use of it is for? I can not fit the motor tip through it either. I have another centering ring that I have to attach a shock cord. Can you explain to me what the AFT is for and where I should put the AFT and the shock cord ring on the inner tube so my motor can fit and I don't have complications. All of you will help! Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_1581.HEIC
    552.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1581_(2).jpg
    IMG_1581_(2).jpg
    366 KB · Views: 0
I'm unable to load your attachment. What is a HEIC file?
Terry;

My recollection is that is the native iPhone picture format.

Mateozro; you’ll need to export the image from Photos as a .jpg, then attach it. Also, it seems you’ve failed to take the advice offered previously and started out with a simpler Estes or similar low power model rocket…

The AFT is suppose to go on the motor tube but I am not sure what the use of it is for?
The side labeled AFT should go on the bottom end, it’s the motor retention. Those clips should prevent the motor from sliding out the bottom, you’ll need to loosen the screws and slide them to the side.

Should I add a “sent from my iPhone” to the bottom, lol?

Now you know that LOC provides minimal instructions with their kits. They assume you know how to build a rocket.

If you really need to actually talk to someone you can call into my club's Tuesday night build session. Our Zoom call starts at 6PM eastern. We usually have at least one L3 certified guy there; sometimes two. Two or three L2 certified people and a lot of us are L1 certified. We know what we are talking about. Our website: https://www.nar.org/site/section703/build-night/
The Zoom link is just above the map on that page. Tell them Zeus-cat told you to call in.

I just used an online conversion service convertio.co and the result is.....
IMG_1581.jpg

The brackets on the AFT ring are "Old School" motor retainers.

They are screwed in place after motor hardware is inserted into MMT.

You can use a more modern retainer in place of the brackets. Note the ring will have to be installed forward on the MMT to accommodate such a retainer.

This is a fairly standard MMT design. Have you built some LPR and MPRs in the past? I have no clue what your experience level is, but your initial post in this thread seems to indicate a lack of basic, essential rocket building skills. It would be odd to have this LOC kit be the first rocket you have ever built.

Even more beyond that, just simply searching on TRF for the word "Athena" comes up with multiple build threads and the first one I clicked on, in the first post for that matter, had clear pictures of how the MMT assembly goes together.

Last edited:
This is a fairly standard MMT design. Have you built some LPR and MPRs in the past? I have no clue what your experience level is, but your initial post in this thread seems to indicate a lack of basic, essential rocket building skills. It would be odd to have this LOC kit be the first rocket you have ever built.

Even more beyond that, just simply searching on TRF for the word "Athena" comes up with multiple build threads and the first one I clicked on, in the first post for that matter, had clear pictures of how the MMT assembly goes together.

Apologies, I had left the above comment before I realized this user has been throwing posts on the board and then never coming back to them, even though many people have engaged.
Thank you for the advice I'll search it up!

The rocsim file provided on the LOC website is confusing as well. It shows three CRs, the forward one with an ID much larger than the motor tube, along with the shock cord retainer (which I take to be a loop around the MT) just aft of the CR with oversize ID. Weird, IMHO. So you were furnished FOUR CRs, and one was too small to fit over the MTT?

*I don't mind the "loop around the motor tube" provided that the location is at a point where there is always a motor in the motor tube. That is, I don't like a noose surrounding an empty paper tube as an anchor. In machine shop lingo: "never, ever, clamp air".

1716168254272.png

Last edited:
I just used an online conversion service convertio.co and the result is.....
View attachment 646075

The brackets on the AFT ring are "Old School" motor retainers.

They are screwed in place after motor hardware is inserted into MMT.

You can use a more modern retainer in place of the brackets. Note the ring will have to be installed forward on the MMT to accommodate such a retainer.
Thank you for letting me know! I have an motor retainer set that is just needed to be threaded on, would that be fine to use and remove the brackets added to the AFT. Thanks!

The brackets are cheaper, that is why they were included in the kit. The screw on retainers are the option a lot of people use as they work really well and are easier.

Aft is not an acronym, it is simply an English word for the back or rear end of something that faces a particular direction. That ring is not "the AFT," it is simply the rearmost centering ring, with the side that faces aft labeled as such (hence why it has the retaining clips on it).

Apologies if this is needless pedantry, but pointing this out in case the OP is not a native English speaker.

Back