ZoomieG

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZoomieG

Reaction score
Hey all,

I recently retired from active duty, and stopped by my folk’s place during my relocation. I happened to notice they still had my 4H Estes rockets from my childhood with my Dad’s other hobby stuff in his office. While the 6-7 smaller rockets were probably buried in a box somewhere, I threw the four largest in my trailer and brought them along.

On the left is Sizzler (1906), which was built my first year in Rocketry circa 1987. In the foreground is Raven (2029), which was my third and last year in 4H in 1990 (I missed 1989 due to a summer move). Alongside these were an original scheme Wizard, Pulsar, 80s black/red Alpha, Reliant, and Javelin. There was also a Viking I assembled as part of a high school physics class several years later.

At some point early in my career while home on leave, I dug four kits out of a box and put them together; Phaser, Mighty Moe, Der V-3 (1970), and D-Region Tomahawk (1944), the last two of which are in the photo. They didn’t fly that summer, but did several years later during another trip home.

Having the rockets back in my possession piqued my interest, but the hook was set after I observed a local club launch. Now, a couple weeks later, I have a closet full of kits, downloaded plans of OOP kits, open rocket sims, and upscale plans.

Looking forward to posting more!

Attachments

• B7F1A3AA-B99C-407A-A9DD-B40446A02333.jpeg
    B7F1A3AA-B99C-407A-A9DD-B40446A02333.jpeg
    98.4 KB · Views: 11
Welcome! Starting w pics - we like you already! :) Be sure to thank your folks for me - they kept the important stuff! :p

We moved from Elmondorf Alaska to Novato California and lost the few rockets that survived my launches.

Would like to hear about your builds.

First, many many thanks for your service to our country!

Second, welcome aboard! Glad to meet ya!

Back