Zippered Tube: Time to Lengthen Shock Cord

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, tried the Lefty Kreh for all 8 corners of a chute. 1st one took a half hour. But with persistence, finally got it down to 8 minutes each. So about an hour and a half to do the shroud lines on the one chute. The big breakthrough came when I clamped the initial overhand loop with a tiny smooth jaw alligator clip. (would that be an alligator without his dentures?) That held the loop as a unit keeping it from unraveling while I continued to grip, drop, regrip, twist, insert, and swear. My fingers and thumb are wide enough that I can't even tell if I've gripped the thread.

LOC and Top Flight make chutes with the lines already attached!

Hans. (off to have a few beers after that)

I used to know a girl that could put a cherry stem in her mouth and within seconds, spit it out with a knot in it. I wonder if she could do that with an unassembled parachute.....

Hans.

I used to know a girl that could put a cherry stem in her mouth and within seconds, spit it out with a knot in it. I wonder if she could do that with an unassembled parachute.....

Hans.

I heard about that when I was in college and figured it had mutual benefits, so I would tie a cherry stem after the first round and put it in my mouth, under my tongue. It often got a laugh, but one time a girl at the table couldn't believe I could do it if she couldn't and after demonstrating a few times (people could smoke in bars back then, so planting a new tied stem was easy), she started trying.

After trying for quite a while, she did it for real. So, while I figured out an easy way to scam the system and get some benefit, she was tenacious enough to just get it done. She also had one of those loooong southern drawwwwwwwls. Not sure who she married.

On a similar note, I learned how to catch a coin when flipping between my fingers and could glimpse it when doing the catch/flop and win 80+ % of the time. It was more of a party trick than me getting free food/drinks and it also was full-on cheating. Eventually, friends noticed that if it was a 'serious' coin flip, I would let it hit the ground, but if it was typical, I'd catch and do the hand flop thing.

I did actually 'choose' my first house based on a coin flip. I had house A option and house B option and could see merit in both. When I pulled a quarter out of my pocket, flipped the coin, told the realtor to call it in the air and let it hit the ground, she thought I was joking. We wrote the offer right after and it was a good first house. Wouldn't have done the catch/flop that day and honestly haven't done it in quite a long time. Even if I have the right dexterity still, I'd probably have to switch glasses 3 times during the process to see which side was which. . .

Sandy.

How accurate is Open Rocket on predicting delay times? I've been looking at that and the speed at ejection and using them to filter which engines are viable for a given rocket and which engines to avoid.
Not sure about actual time, but OR is fairly close on predicting apogee. YMMV, of course, with ambient conditions, wind, etc.

Hans.

How accurate is Open Rocket on predicting delay times? I've been looking at that and the speed at ejection and using them to filter which engines are viable for a given rocket and which engines to avoid.
OR will get you close. As always, use your judgement if conditions differ from what you simulated.

The apogee and Delay time (Coast time after burn-out) in OR will be as accurate as the predicated Drag Coefficient.

Last edited:
Back