Zip files

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chilly

Reaction score
OK, this is an "all-hands" call for help. I'm having trouble running programs from Zip files downloaded from the 'net. So far I've downloaded Orbiter sim and Winroc and can't seem to run either file. Also having trouble with Public Missiles' Rocsim files, as they're all zipped.

Thanks in advance...

Chilly,

Welcome to MY world!

I have no idea how to do that...I gave up a long time ago on ZIP file.

Just another conspiracy concocted by Bill Gates!

sandman

A "zip" file is a compressed file......... You need a program called pkunzip to un-compress it......... Or you can use win-zip (spelling??)

ZIP files are great (don't confuse them with ZIP disks, no relation...)

Also, ZIPping files is *not* a bill gates thing (he only *wishes* he'd come up with it). It is a powerful and universal way of compressing files and sending them around the net.

just find a suitable Un-Zip program (i use PK-UNZIP) and you will have no problems

One thing about running applications distributed as ZIPs... if you just open the ZIP file using winzip (to show the zip file contents in preview mode), and then try to run the executable directly, it won't always work properly. You need to first use winzip to extract ALL the files into a directory and then run the executable from there. Executables often need external data files, DLL's, etc., which are contained in the zip file but attempting to run it without first extracting these files will cause the app to crash.

Aha! Deceptively simple. I'll let you know how it turns out. If it doesn't work I'll try the link Rocketmanic posted.

If your using winzip try running it in wizard mode and it will guide you thru the process

Originally posted by jflis
Also, ZIPping files is *not* a bill gates thing (he only *wishes* he'd come up with it).
With you on that one, Jim. Imagine if he had invented 'zip's, what chaos we'd be in ... having to pay £100s for the new version, 'cos the old version can't uncompresss the latest file you've just downloaded. I'm so glad the zip algorithm is within the public domain.

Funny... it is becoming a Bill Gates thing. :) ZIP technology is now rolled into XP and 2003. Very nice not have to track down WinZip to unzip files.

If you have windows XP, all you have to do is double click the zipped file or folder.

I would say that 90% or better of files dl'd from the internet are in zip format. It wasn't a Bill Gates thing. The man that "invented" the technology, Phil Katz, died a few years back. Interesting and somewhat sad story about this gentleman in the link below.

Phil Katz

Back