Zap Z-Poxy 30 Minute Epoxy PT-39

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustang67

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have been using Zap Epoxy for most of my builds, sometimes using JB Weld on the thrust plate only. Has anyone used Zap Epoxy and what is the consensus?

Planning a Madcow DX3 8" build and considering Z-poxy over AeroPoxy and RocketPoxy. I do not have any experience with all mentioned other than with Zap, JB Weld, West & Bob Smith.

What I truly do like about Zap is the cure time is very accurate under standard conditions. It does set well in 30 minutes!

I would be wary of using a 30 minute epoxy on something like that. They're just not as strong as long cure epoxies. I helped my buddy do a 4" fiberglass DX3 and we used US Composites 150 with the slow hardener and some chopped fiberglass mixed in. Those fins and centering rings aren't going anywhere. Heck, it's even landed under drogue without damage.

EDIT: My 4" Wildman Interceptor is also put together using the same stuff and those fins are wider and more subject to landing abuse, and they are also fine.

Last edited:
I have been using Zap Epoxy for most of my builds, sometimes using JB Weld on the thrust plate only. Has anyone used Zap Epoxy and what is the consensus?

Planning a Madcow DX3 8" build and considering Z-poxy over AeroPoxy and RocketPoxy. I do not have any experience with all mentioned other than with Zap, JB Weld, West & Bob Smith.

What I truly do like about Zap is the cure time is very accurate under standard conditions. It does set well in 30 minutes!

If you plan on building a large rocket Zap epoxy ($11.99 per 8oz kit) per ounce is more expensive per ounce than US composites ($10.25 for the 8oz 1:1 ratio) and as you buy larger quantities of US Composites 150 1:1 ratio the price goes down (a 16oz kit is $15.25, I believe the kit description is a typo as the 16oz kit should be two bottles containing 8oz each part). The US Composite products work very well, and are considerably cheaper than West or Aeropoxy products, I build most of my rockets with US Composites resins including my L3 rocket. I did use a System 3 T-88 Structural epoxy on my L3 for bonding the fins into the fin pockets which in hindsight which would have worked as well as the US Composites 150 for that application and performance level.

I will do some research over the next few days and post my findings.

Current sensus of major MFG are:

Jb Weld
AeroPoxy
RocketPoxy
US Composite
ProLine
West Systems

Back