YT rocket build video

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rex R

LV2
Reaction score
so I was glancing at various vids and ran across this one; https://youtu.be/eOM4M0mwzWQ kind of like watching a train wreck...kept watching to see how she interpreted each step of the instructions.
Rex

I really wanted to get to the trainwreck part, but when someone says "Umm" and "Uhh" and "Like" every five words apart, I go into VILE HATRED MODE, so I had to stop the video in order to put the breaks on that attitude.
I NEVER say "Ummm" or "Uhhh" or use the word "Like" out of context. It makes her look dumb or on drugs.
I'll try again with it on mute, but I can read lips pretty well, so I may have to put a piece or pieces of tape over her head portion of the screen.

At 27 minute mark, she is accepting criticisms, and admitting she will not fly it unless it is safe, so there is something in that.
I was feeling evil toward her, but maybe she can learn like the rest of us and have a safe and rewarding experience doing rocketry.
I get in over my head sometimes on things too, but the rocketry community is usually there for me to curb my enthusiasm and bring me back to reality.
Hopefully she does not have a bad experience, and can maybe be welcomed to the fold here, regardless of the way she talks.

A lot of folks here have seen me grasping for straws and reached out with advice/guidance or a helping hand, so I can try to emulate that behavior when I pay closer attention to the video maybe tomorrow or the next day. At least she is supporting known rocketry vendors.
She is obviously a "Look At Me!" Human, so she will in all likelihood, find this thread eventually, even if it is because I recommend it to her to do so.
She seems like she genuinely wants to build and fly the rocket safely, so let's not step on her toes out of hand for her lack of experience.
I've certainly been "That Guy" before. Thing is, folks told me how to do it right rather than try to run me off or simply make me feel stupid.
I'll bet there are a lot of Youtube videos like this where someone is really just reaching out for help.

I really wanted to get to the trainwreck part, but when someone says "Umm" and "Uhh" and "Like" every five words apart, I go into VILE HATRED MODE, so I had to stop the video in order to put the breaks on that attitude.
I NEVER say "Ummm" or "Uhhh" or use the word "Like" out of context. It makes her look dumb or on drugs.
I'll try again with it on mute, but I can read lips pretty well, so I may have to put a piece or pieces of tape over her head portion of the screen.

I give her credit just for trying, most teenage girls couldn't care less about rocketry.

In her other video she is a decent public speaker and a pretty good archer too.

[video=youtube;j00JR16IwuE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j00JR16IwuE[/video]

Last edited:
I didn't think the video was terrible. Her public speaking wasn't great but she more or less got her point across. I did wonder if she's a L1 due to the 38mm motor tube but there are some small G loads in 38mm. She didn't appear to leave enough length on the mmt for an Aeropack and didn't really sound like she was familiar with Positive Motor Retention. She was incorrect on numerous rocketry principles (she said center of gravity when she meant center of pressure). Those items aside, I don't think her intent was a museum-quality rocket and it looked like it would pass a RSO (motor retention pending) and should fly safely.

Overall, she did a decent job. Top said it right; with a bit of experience she can shore up her techniques. I hope she has a good first flight and many more.

Oh yea... I had a laugh when she said that she cut her hair... because it must have been full of epoxy.

.kept watching to see how she interpreted each step of the instructions.
Rex
My wife very strange interpret my instructions. She usually shoots video from the ground. Thousands of times I've said "As the parachute does not open until 20 th second, especially when you hear the eerie whistling sound quickly come to me." Does not come, then She said, "Well if that rocket had killed me? You do not think of me" :)

I watched her Photon Probe build video a while back - that backwards fin was screaming at me. Later in the video she fixed it quite well though.

This Batray video, seems she did a good job considering it was her first HP build. I read in the comments that she's part of a club, so I'm sure she has some mentors. Off to a good start IMO.

Back