Yowzza!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stewart32

Reaction score
It was beautiful weather here in the Blugrass this weekend so I rounded up my son and neighborhood rocket buddy for some low power shots in the neighborhood park. We launched several models on of which was the Quest Flat Cat. I built this model last summer to enjoy boost gliders and try my hand at crafting foiled wings etc. This model has been launched several times and genrealy has performed quite well providing a pleasent experience. Before yesterdays flights I inspected all the models. I noticed that on this particular model the tell tale half round ding on the end of the body tube resulting from nose cone recoil from last summer. I replaced the shock cord since the old was one about to go as the individual rubber strands were showing. Since my rocket buddy was curious to see the glider perform and the winds were low we launced the Flat Cat on a C6-7. The long delay always makes for neat acrobatics. The glider boosted and separated from the pod without event. After an long exciting glide we went to retrive the pod. I was truly amazed when we found it because somehow the NC had inverted, and pierced the body tube like an arrow entering through the top opening. Remember, this is a streamer recovered device with the engine retained. I can't imagine how this happened. But realize that my new shock cord was way to short but the same length as the original.

Anybody else had this experience?

I hope to post a picture later today.

That sounds bizarre! I think you've experienced one of those once-in-a-million type events.

How big a field do you fly your Flat Cat? I almost bought one last year then put it back, because it looked like that glider could go places...

Yes, the Flat Cat can and does keep going and going and going....

The Masterson Station Park contains several hundered acres. I set up at different positions dependent upon the winds.

Wow, I love the Flat Cat too! Yesterday I actually flew my Flat Cat too! This is about my third one. Lost last one to a thermal about two years ago. This one has air-foil wings; flat on bottom with pear-shape topsurface. Yesterday it flew great with slow sweeping 100' radius circles like the buzzards up high in the sky! I wish I had timed the flight. It flew across a hiway and I was anxious for awhile. I always boost on a B6-2 and this is perfect to keep it in sight. It goes straight up and separates right at apogee and the booster drops straight down about 300' from pad. I can't imagine what a C6-7 boost would do or how did you ever come to use that motor! Have you ever used the B6-2? I copied the pattern and built another glider scratch with a symmetrical airfoil like the Spitfire that I use as a hand-toss glider that I read about in Stine's book. On hand-toss it will flat-glide 200' or more! If I get to a larger field sometime, I will try boost-gliding it! Have never built one with the flat wings yet!:eek:

You ever see that highlight of Michael Jordan playing golf where he chips one in from about 50 ft and it never touches the ground, just up and straight in to the cup?
I think you experienced something like that, nose cone popped out and then recoiled right back into the BT. Don't worry, it'll never happen again. :D

Tim

I've actually had birds dive bomb my Flat Cat last summer. I guess given the shape and flight pattern (helix) they percieved it as a threat. I was quite an accrobatic show!

Ive had such a good time with this rocket, I just may try and 2 or 3x upscale.

Originally posted by Stewart32
I've actually had birds dive bomb my Flat Cat last summer. I guess given the shape and flight pattern (helix) they percieved it as a threat. I was quite an accrobatic show!

LOL!

My flat cat hasn't been so great, from a hand toss it glides beautifully but when I boost it, it never settles into a glide. Instead it comes in upside down at a very steep angle. Don't know what I've done wrong.

Mike, if your Flat Cat won't pull into a glide, try adding some weight to the tail as a piece of clay in my first picture on the left. It should static balance on your finger tips at the aft end of the wings next to the fuselage. Here is the difference between the two airfoils. I suspect the symmetrical wing will need some tail weight to pull out of a dive: but according to Stine's book it should not. If it does not, with its glide characterisics in hand toss, I will need a much larger field!

Nice looking kit and scratch BillE.

Mike, I concur with Bill on adding weight to the tail.

What's this? Rocketeers talking about adding weight to a TAIL??? What's next, cats and dogs living together? Mass hysteria!

WW

This Quest Aurora is a good glider for a small field on a B6-4. On a C6-3 it goes places! It drops into a flat glide like the space shuttle.:eek:

I have sort of a love-hate relationship with this one: Has about a 50/50 success rate! Either very GOOD of VERY BAD!:( :( Seems to have to angle the rod away about 60 degrees to get a SOMEWHAT close to vertical boost! The booster pod crashes to the ground and crushes the tube at the plastic glider attachment point. Considered using a chute but I think it would interfere with the glider. When the wings unfold, it is really neat. When they don't the pod and glider come crashing to the ground! The Flat Cat has 100% success!!!

Did I say tail....um a serious Foe Pah as we say her in KY.

Yeah, Ive got the Aurora as well, an orbital Transport and that other Estes 2 glider, all are still "in the bag". I will get to them when I get a round tuit.

After I built it I had to add weight to the nose to get the glide trimmed right. I get great glides from a hand toss.

Whenever I launch it, it always tries to fly upside down. The trim is near perfect with it the up the correct way but when the wings hang beneath the fuselage it nose dives in. My problem is not with the trim but getting the glider to stay up the right way.

I started a thread on this a while back nobody had any real ideas, seems I odd I should be the only one experiencing this.

Shame as it's a real nice bird.

Mike, if you built it with the correct dihedral angle in the wings, it will flip over by itself. I still believe if you experiment with adding a little tail weight at a time it will pull out of a dive! My flat cat flies perfectly now, and I too was getting into dives before I added some tail weight! Hand tossing it seemed to glide great, but went into a dive on boost! Added tailweight and now is perfect! Don't give up!!!:D

OK, I'll try the tailweight a couple of times but I'm reluctant to burn too many more motors with this thing...I do want it to work though.

Mike,

Do one and only one adjustment at a time!

Don't try three or for at once...otherwise you won't know what adjustment really worked.

It sounds to me like you don't have enough dihedral (thats the up angle the wing tips make).

Basically when it's in a flat glide it wants more weight on the bottom (when viewed horizontal) The power pod up top may be a bit too heavy especially with the added nose weight.

Try this...place the nose weight at the bend in the wing not in the pod. Try a sharp nail for weight stuck into the wood (and a drop of super glue if it splits).

This should make the model pedulum with the bottom down.

sandman

Wow...talk about your one-in-a-million shots. That's not an Estes Dent, that's an Estes Piercing.

Back