Youth FAI Sporting License

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhbarr

Amateur Professional
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
My two boys ( 10 & 12 ) have expressed interest in spacemodelling competition. It appears they must join AMA so they may join NAA and subsequently request an FAI Sporting License.

Obviously that's not necessary for NAR-only competition, but my goodness that's unnecessarily complex (and expensive!). Is there a bureaucracy shortcut anywhere that I missed?

They are separate organizations. You need the FAI stamp to compete since it is international aeromodeling, and the NAA membership to launch in the US. Unless using RC or drones, I'm not sure where the AMA part comes in. IIRC some years (heading for decades?) ago when I tried for the US F3K team I needed the FAI stamp, and of course AMA membership to compete in the US.

Someone with a lot more knowledge than me on the competition rocketry side should chime in!

Gerald

The AMA comes into it because you must be a member of the FAI-recognized national aeromodeling group. They only recognize one group per country, and that group is the AMA in the US. The AMA delegates spacemodeling activities to the NAR. Mind you that Youth (<19) members can join AMA for $15/yr and those under 25 can join the NAR for $30/yr. An NAA membership is not required to get a sporting license for aeromodeling, you can just get the FAI Sporting License for $45/yr so long as you are an AMA member.

If your children are looking to try out for the US Team at NARAM, a sporting license and AMA membership are not required until the championships next year unless you want to participate in other World Cups between now and then (highly recommended by me, but not required.)

A work around for adult members: my brother does not fly R/C, so he get the "Park Flier" membership to be an AMA member without spending so much money. It's $25/yr instead of $75/yr.

The AMA comes into it because you must be a member of the FAI-recognized national aeromodeling group. They only recognize one group per country, and that group is the AMA in the US. The AMA delegates spacemodeling activities to the NAR. Mind you that Youth (<19) members can join AMA for $15/yr and those under 25 can join the NAR for $30/yr. An NAA membership is not required to get a sporting license for aeromodeling, you can just get the FAI Sporting License for $45/yr so long as you are an AMA member.

If your children are looking to try out for the US Team at NARAM, a sporting license and AMA membership are not required until the championships next year unless you want to participate in other World Cups between now and then (highly recommended by me, but not required.)

A work around for adult members: my brother does not fly R/C, so he get the "Park Flier" membership to be an AMA member without spending so much money. It's $25/yr instead of $75/yr.
Thanks for the clarification, I had missed the possibility of getting your FAI Sporting License through NAA without actually joining NAA itself.

Back