Your most jinxed rocket what is it?

Discussion in 'Low Power Rocketry (LPR)' started by Luv2launch, Mar 21, 2009.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Aug 27, 2018 #61

Mr Rocket

Mr Rocket

Mr Rocket

When I became a BAR one of the first rockets that I tried to build was an Estes Solar Flare. About the time that I started building it, the family got a new puppy who I found out really liked to eat balsa and cardboard :(

Attempt#2: Bought a new kit and tried again. While trying to insert the 13mm motor mount in the sustainer, the wood glue grabbed before I got it into place, and I damaged the tube trying to get it out.

Attempt #3: Found a piece of (25 year old) 13mm tube from the remnants of my Estes Javelin that got partially crushed over the years and decided to use that as a replacement. The rocket looked good on the launch pad, and lifted off straight, but when the rocket staged, that old tube shredded and the motor went up through the sustainer shredding the recovery system. ALSO - One of the bystanders said that they thought they had heard the motor CATO, but I was sure they must have been mistaken...

Attempt #4: Rebuilt the rocket again and tried again. Rocket launched fine, staged fine... BOOM. CATO of the second stage motor (from the same batch) spitting the nozzle out the back end, hitting two of the fins on the booster and breaking them.

Attempt #5: Rocket has been rebuilt again, but has not been launched... YET!

2. Aug 27, 2018 #62

Cabernut

Cabernut

Cabernut

Mine is the Estes Magnum. I built one back around 1991-ish, that staged fine but lawn darted on the maiden flight. Tossed it in the trash out of frustration. Fast-forward 25 years or so and I built a clone from scratch. On that maiden flight, the C11-0 booster CATOed, leaving the rocket in a burning heap and was later repaired. Finally flew fine the next several flights but last year the booster stuck on and got toasted from the sustainer motor. I also built a BT-70 upscale that uses 24 & 29mm motors, that one didn't stage and lawn darted in spectacular fashion... on it's maiden flight.

Seems every Estes Magnum I build needs at least one rebuild before it will fly.

3. Aug 27, 2018 #63

Sheryl@semroc

Sheryl@semroc

Sheryl@semroc

Oh my, If I still had Semroc, I'd have to send you another one after you tried so hard to repair it each time.

4. Aug 27, 2018 #64

caveduck

caveduck

caveduck

semi old rocketeer

My cursed model is an Estes Baby Bertha that has survived 3 catos, two being the full split-casing sideways blowouts that make holes in the outer body tube. It's on its 3rd motor mount and 2nd paint job already.

5. Sep 10, 2018 #65

Woody's Workshop

Woody's Workshop

Woody's Workshop

That would have to be my very first Big Bertha.
    Every time I launched it, it landed in a tree.
    The last time I lost it it arched over off the pad and went over a large grove of pine trees.
    Never found it.
    Had 8 retrievable tree landings before that.
    I've had about 4 or 5 BB's since.
    Sold my last stock built one.
    Currently building a 24mm one with a pointed nose cone.
    Mark at Sticker Shock made the decal for it.
    Bullet BooB Bertha I called it.
    Nose Cone is painted like...well...like it's name sake.
    Decals should be here today.
    Pictures will posted when done.