Your Favorite Fast Food Joint

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 we ate there today, always good, always lots of food on the plate
Here Panda Express raised the prices (inflation) and switched to cardboard containers that are noticeably smaller. Disappointing but the drive thru is convenient.

5 Guys has always been expensive. $11 for the basic burger alone. We ate there the other day because my wife's cousin was visiting with her husband and four brothers so they had to get their picture taken there. I was confused where the peanuts went. Finally figured out they're in paper bags now.

I think the kicker is if one gets a burger off the warming bin, it doesn't taste as good as one off the grill cause one doesn't know how long its been sitting there.
I went to McD's one time with a family friend and he stipulated he wanted our burgers just off the grill. We were told, "You'll have to wait." and we replied that was fine with us. Tim was right, they did taste much better than the burgers they whipped out of the holding pen. He should know as he used to run several A&Ws and was retired from that trade at that time.
I think the best way is to be able to get the food right off the grill but if I'm in a hurry I'm not an idiot about it.

Trivia question: What did A & W stand for? Tim told me it was for Allen and White. The last names of the two guys who came up with and started the A & W drive-in concept.
I think McD's took over because lower overhead, no carhops, no having to take orders by carhop or intercom. But shoot, you couldn't beat the A & W root beer that they made fresh at the drive-ins. The "chit" in the can today doesn't compare to what was made in the A & W drive-ins years ago. I know as I witnessed the machinations with CO2 cylinders to carbonate the mix. I remember it took "a lot" of sugar to make the root beer. Kurt
My very old memory was "Albert and Walter". I can't offer why I remember it as such and gosh knows I may well be very wrong.

No real favorites, they have all blended together after 15years of traveling for a living.
Normally, lean toward Wendy's, Chic-fil-A, or Arby's. If availablle, I like Penn Station.
Five Guys is a treat, too expensive for any kind of regularity.

it says they have 330 locations around the country but I don't have one around here but I liked it a lot-

Schlotzsky’s​

CPK!

When we are in the US, we always look for a 'California Pizza Kitchen' (Closest to us in in Boston)

I had a pretty weird experience in an Arby's in Cleveland..
I was driving thru, and was hungry (it was about noon ish..), and I noticed a shopping mall at the next exit. So I exited, and entered the mall parking lot. The Arby's was off one end, and had a door on the outside (no need to go into the mall). I walk in, up to the counter to make my order. The guy (older guy) behind the counter looks at me: "Can I help you?!" in a bit of a gruff / stern voice..
"Uh, yeah, can I get ....."
With a stern eye, and still the gruff voice: "$6.95" (or whatever it was..) quickly followed by: "And that's to go, right?!"
"uh, Yes please."
And with a bit of a huff, he goes off to tend to the order, to do other things he needs to do.
And I turn around & lean on the counter to wait for my order...

And that's when I notice... I'm the only white guy in the restaurant..

I had a pretty weird experience in an Arby's in Cleveland..

if you come into my Arby's i assure you you will be greeted with warmth and served hot, fresh food, and i will chew on your ear about model rockets 'til you tell me get out you face. i might even give you a free turnover.

yuck. I would never go anywhere near any of those places.

I almost never eat McD's. The exception is on the way back from Sayre. There's a McD's where we get on the interstate. On the way *to* Sayre, we stop at the Conoco in Weatherford and grab sandwiches/burritos. On the way to Argonia, we stop at Braum's in Guthrie. On the way back, we could stop anywhere, no set pattern. We're usually worn out and in something of a hurry to get home.

Had lunch today at a new Mexican place that just opened up around the corner. Fairly good, maybe a 7/10.

I miss Braum's ice cream a lot, their burgers, not so much.

When I was a kid, Fast food was Furr's Cafeteria.
My wife and I joke that Mexican was the original fast food, we have a place in Denver, Yolanda's Tacos, Yummy.

Quite the thread ressurection, 15 years, and it restarted without a hitch. Impressive.

In the last few years I have really enjoyed a Habit burger, a son worked at In-n-out so that gets a vote.
Lastly, give me a Rubio's fish taco.
I like the chicken Caesar salad at Habit Burger.

Arby's, by far. They're the only fast food place that pays me to be there.
My late wife (in my avatar) loved Arby's. She's been deceased 4 years and we finally got an Arby's in town this year. She only got to go to Arby's when she shopped out of town when she was alive.
Wife is either frowning or grinning in the grave over the issue. Oh, she was as lovely in the picture as when she died. Miss her.
Kurt

Johnny Rockets had a good burger and shake. I wonder if they're still cooking...
There are still a couple of them in this area. It's been awhile since I've been to one, and the nearest one is not that far.

Also, I think I forgot to mention Panera Bread in my prior post. Not sure if it's fast enough to be called "fast food" but it's good.

Latest posts

Back