Your Favorite Aircraft?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gym_Class_Hero

Reaction score
What's your favorite airplane?

Mine is the DC-10, hands down. :D

Who couldn't love this? :D :D

Cielos_Cargo_DC-10.jpg
https://www.aviationexplorer.com/Various_Aircraft/Cielos_Cargo_DC-10.jpg

I have to pick two planes from my youth, but are still are untouched even today in terms of performance. My choices would be the SR-71 Blackbird and the XB-70 Valkyrie .

sr7111.jpg

xb-70_1.jpg

The P-51 might not actually be my favorite aircraft (though it is a favorite), but I'm really pleased with the photo I took. :)

-- Roger

Last edited:
I gotta agree, There is NOTHING like a P51-d That is the moxt increadible sound I have ever heard.

The others in my top list.

F-15 Strike eagle. ( I'd buy one if I could )
and there is nothing meaner than an A-10 warthog..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5KBRKdfotU

But then again. I'd LOVE to own a sailplane there is nothing in the worl like that feeling!!

f 15.jpg

A_10_Warthog_001.jpg

sail.jpg

I can't pick just one, so I'll try to pick an air force (corps) and navy plane from several eras.

WWII: P-51D Mustang and F4U Corsair.
Korea: F-86 Sabre and F9F Panther.
Century Series: F-104 Starfighter, though I loved all of the Century Series.
Vietnam: F-4 Phantom (since I've already included the other jets above) and the AD-1 Skyraider.
Post Vietnam: F-15 Eagle and F-14 Tomcat, honorable mention A-10 T-bolt II/Warthawg.
Bombers: B-17, B-47, B-52
CIA/USAF: SR-71

Civilian: Boeing Dash 80/707 (barrel rolled) and 747.

Edit: Ahead of it's time category: B-58 Hustler

Last edited:
I'd have to go with the Warthog too. They were made at Fairchild-Republic behind the ice rink I worked at during high school. We used to sit on the roof at night and have them fly right over our heads when landing. Awesome looking beast, don't think they'll ever make another one like her.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/F6itQfUwF1o&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/F6itQfUwF1o&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

For cool factor it would have to be a F4U Corsair - gotta love those inverted wings.

41HFKtmrOxL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

That I've flown it would probably be the MD-80, with a VERY close second going to the C-5.

Of all aircraft the P-38, XB-70, P-51, and DC-3 would be up there.

The X-1 and X-15 are both very special in aviation history.

Sorry AK, Of all the aircraft companies I think Lockheed builds the best aircraft.

That I've flown it would probably be the MD-80, with a VERY close second going to the C-5.

Sorry AK, Of all the aircraft companies I think Lockheed builds the best aircraft.

You have flown a C-5 as in galaxy ?

Mark,

Did you fly the C5 at Westover? I flew the C5 for almost 11 years.

The best aircraft has to be the P51!!!

Staggerwing Beech

Real airplanes have round engines and two wings!

stagger wing.JPG

I can't just pick one!

Pre WWII Hadley Page Heyford bomber (a plane with out a war and it was a school project of mine to prove that a biplane would work when I was told it wouldn't for a project)

WWII B-25 and P-38
Jet F-104

I like the P-61.

P-61_Black_Widow.jpg

I've been trying to find a way to make an accurate scale RC one, but I haven't found a way to do the spoilers on the wings (they are the "ailerons" of the plane).

I flew the Galaxy at Dover AFB DE from 1988-1991. It is a gentleman's aircraft.

You have flown a C-5 as in galaxy ?

I thought one was going to land on us once. We were at a bar just outside the base there in Corpus Christi looking out the picture windows, when a C-5 flying impossibly slow flew over the bar. It absolutely seemed like it should be falling out of the sky, it was flying so slowly!

No one mention the B1-B Lancer?? Its second to the SR-71,still tops in my book. Honorable mention is the F4-Phantom and the XB-70,pulling up the rear is the Tomcat.

Every race weekend we are treated to fly-overs. Today we got a B2 , and I must say that aside from the Thunderbirds in Vegas, I got some major goosebumps watching that aircraft fly by. C5 Galaxies just look like anomalies in the sky. I can't wrap my head around how something that big can take flight.

The A-10 Warthog has to be my favorite. I grew up near Myrtle Beach and they use to fly over all the time. The old airbase is now an upscale shopping/condo development. I also love the SR-71...that aircraft is just slick!

For sheer firepower and fear factor, I'd have to say the A-10 Warthog, and our most venerable aircraft still in service today, the B-52.

Looks, I'd say the B-1 and the F-16.

I think the Fairey Delta 2 just beats the Vulcan.
Just a reminder that we used to build aeroplanes.

fd2_02.jpg

vulcan1.jpg

For airplanes I've flown, Beech V35.

For airplanes overall, P-38 and P51. I once saw a Confederate Air Force airshow where the P-51 did its routine to classical music, and it was a work of art.

20090712 - V35.jpg

20090712 - P38-joltin.jpg

I gotta go a different direction. Piper Super Cub, Climbs like a homesick angel and can take off and land in very short distances. It lives for grass runways.

I love all of the 1930's racers but my favorite has got to be....

r1replica.jpg

Gee Bee R-1

Sorry SpaceCadet,

I forgot about the Vulcan. That is one seriously cool flying machine!

The Hawker Hurricane should be on the list also.

Last edited:
Back