Your Favorite Aircraft?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After looking at everybody else's favorites, I'm beginning to think that there has never been a plane I didn't like. :cool:

Yes, all good choices!

I have to concur on the DC10, though. Douglas built 'em tough, and they will be missed when they are gone.

What's your favorite airplane?

Mine is the DC-10, hands down. :D
QUOTE]

WOW this is hard............:confused2:

First plane I got a ride is was a Piper Cub then a De Haviland Tiger Moth.

Still love the sound and smell of a huge radial......F4U Corsair:cool:
The sweet sound of a Merlin.......P51 Mustang:)
The deafing roar of a B36 Peacemaker:y:
The scream of a F86 Sabre & F100 Super Saber:eyepop:
The sight & sound of a B58 Hustler, makes the hair stand up on the back of your neck.:shock:
I was fortunate to see these aircraft fly at airshows during the early and mid 60's.

It would have to be the Piper Cub.

I would of loved to see a ME 262 fly, love WWII aircraft but there are a lot of good aircraft from different era's.

A couple Cold warriors top my list:

The B-58 Hustler

The XB-70 Valkarie

Honorable mention:

The A-10 Warthog

Al

Consolidated B-24 Liberator. My best friends dad was a crew chief on one and he still had all of the maintenance manuals. We read those from cover to cover. More B-24s were built than B-17 yet so few survive.:(
Next Hawker Hurricane, one of the first Weekly Reader Book Club books I purchased was about the Hurricane. I still have the book.
B-58 Hustler was cool too. I saw one while visiting my aunt and Uncle in Fort Worth, TX.
SR-71 Blackbird (Habu). When the ship I was on would on load or offload supplies in Okinawa they would make their final approach directly above us.
Fast and effective at what they did. I still think they should be flying.
B-52, the aircraft just will not quit.
I could go on and on. Aircraft are like women, you can find something to like in all of them.

Staggerwing Beech

Real airplanes have round engines and two wings!

I see one of these fly around my area about every two or three weeks.:p

About five miles from where I live is the Beechcraft Heritage Museum. They have most every model of aircraft Beech made. Some real beauties!

Sometimes when it's so ugly - it's cool...the Wilga utility tow plane.

0604885.jpg

On the other hand, ... I like what aerobatic champion Svetlana Kapanina flies.

What the plane (Sukhoi 26) looks like is almost irrelevant.

kapaninazr3_393223.jpg

2008-07-05-eac-zahajena011-repre-rusko-svetlana-kapanina.jpg
[

Last edited:
As others have said, it's difficult to pick just one. The P51, P38, F4U, C5, F104, B70, the Vulcan, B36, B58, SR-71.....

One that has always fascinated me is the TU-95 Bear. Swept wings with props - 4 contra-rotating props - how cool is that?

What would you like to see flying together in formation? I'd like to see a B36 Peacemaker with a TU-95 Bear.

Attachments

• b.78.1.jpg
    b.78.1.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 21
  • b.78.2.jpg
    b.78.2.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 16
  • tu-95_2.jpg
    tu-95_2.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 18
  • tu-95-bear_p2.jpg
    tu-95-bear_p2.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 14
  • tu-95h_2.jpg
    tu-95h_2.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 18
I don't think they make 'um much prettier than the Supermarine Spitfire.

https://www.flightglobal.com/airspace/photos/berniec/images/23306/supermarine-spitfire.jpg

A man after my own heart, for sure.

My ALL-TIME Favorites:

#1 Supermarine Spitfire--sexy and fast!

And a great movie is The Battle of Britain.

#2 DeHavilland Mosquito--double sexy and even faster!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057811/ 633 Squadron is a not-so-good movie, but it's about the Mossie, so what's not to like?

My ancestry cannot be denied...

Mosquito.jpg

Last edited:
Like Lays potato chips, no one can eat just one. Haven't seen a plane I didn't like, but some are more memorable than others.

First flight: A Northeast Airlines Connie shuttle from Boston to NYC when I was 10.

Favorite Airliner: Lockheed L-1011. Not the best interior design but rock stable in flight. Safest airliner ever built.

Best ride: Upper deck of a BA 747-400 from Tokyo to London.

First non-commercial: Grumman AA1B. Hot little plane. Too fast for some, poor rate of climb if you follow the book, but really nice.

WWII Bomber: B-24 Liberator. Longer range and greater bomb load than a B-17. A real work horse.

WWII Fighters: Too hard to choose. Spitfire, Lightning, Mustang, Thunderbolt, Zero, ME-109, ME-262. All performed their missions well.

Cold War Bomber: B-58 Hustler. Fast and sleek, but a maintenance nightmare.

Cold War Fighter: F-4 Phantom. Last successful Tri-Service fighter. Performance figures still impressive but technology marches on.

Pilots Fighter: F-16 Falcon. The plane every fighter pilot wants to fly. Best visibility ever from a cockpit. Nimble and fast.

Adversary Fighter: SU-27 Flanker. Unbelievable, stomach wrenching maneuverability.

Pure Firepower: A-10 Warthog. Name says it all. Ugly but deadly. Most maneuverable ground attack A/C ever. My favorite purpose built A/C.

Bomb Bus: B-52 Stratofortress. 50+ and still going strong. Does everything and more.

Cargo Bus: Lockheed C-130. Also 50+ and counting. Go anywhere, any time cargo bus.

Untouchable: SR-71 Blackbird and F-117 Nighthawk. Different eras, different missions. Both were the best.

Bob

I had to edit mine to add the B-47 to my list. I don't know why I forgot it. It had a short service life, but it was sleek, faster than fighters of its time, led the cold war charge for the USAF, and was the springboard for the Dash 80/707 and B-52. :cool:

Although I love the B-70, SR-71, F-4, F-15 and F-16, I gotta say that my all time favorite airplane is the T-38 Talon (and the F-5 fighter version). There's just something about that wasp-waist. :D

I was lucky to have seen the T-38 Thunderbirds perform at MBS International Airport in the mid-1970s.

My oldball prop favorite is the XF-84H Thunderscreech.
Favorite oddball jet is the German VJ-101C

Like others I'd have to choose the A-10. Theres just something about a close quarters aircraft that belches depeated uranium rounds, oh yea! I live close (within 40 minutes) to the now closed Willow Grove Naval Air Station that housed an A-10 group. I would park in the visitor area during guard weekends and dream.

Concorde. Functional and pretty. Was good working at Filton, and living right under the final approach. Even better when Concorde taking off/landing, although that was rare due to noise concerns - doesn't half rattle the windows!

Been in Konkordski too :)

Or the Antonov An124. Our aircraft of choice for shipping sizeable hardware.

Gotta be the A10 for me. When I graduated tech school after joining the Air Force (in 1984), four Warthogs did a flyby of our formation. Been my favorite ever since.

Mine would be the C-124 Globemaster.

(my dad was a load-master in Vietnam)

C-124C_Globemaster_II.jpg

Back in 1999 I had the chance to work on a few commercial cargo airlines; some of my favorites were the 747's, 727's, MD-11's and the DC-8's (got to work on all of them). We also worked on the Russian built AN-124's. A few pics below (the pic of the Air China 747, I'm "somewhere" in there....); oh, the airport I worked on these aircrafts was at Houston's IAH...

0071705.jpg

0098177.jpg

0171823.jpg

0721361.jpg

0068152.jpg

Last edited:
Like so many, its tough to choose...

Photo 1: My favorite plane that I actually flew in. A modified A26 that we used to test TurboProp engines. 18 flights 1985-1986 with Garrett Turbine Engine Co. I operated all of the flight test instrumentation on the test engine....on flight #17 the RH recip caught fire...came real close to making my 1st (still haven't done it) parachute jump out of a plane.

Photo 2: The plane I worked on until Dick Cheney cancelled it..we had 4 almost ready to fly.

Photo 3: The ATF that should had been choosen IMHO, The F23 was better looking than a F22 and guarenteed that McDonnell Douglas/Northrop wouldn't have taken upteen years for it to be operational. F22 -- 1st Flight: 1990, 1st production flight: 1997, entered service: 2005, cancelled 2009.

Photo 4: My favorite fighter of course. I worked on the program off and on from 1979 to 2000.

Photo 5: My favorite Space Plane.

A26 Invader - Garrett.jpg

A12 Avenger II.jpg

YF23 Times 2.jpg

F15C.jpg

Discovery.jpg

Last edited:
Wright 'The Flyer'

It took innovation to build it,
guts to get it airborne and
instinct to keep it flying...

Okay- as a career pilot and former airline captain- I have to put in a bid here...

The aircraft that treated me the best are my picks starting with...

1- Falcon 10
2- Cessna T-303 Crusader
3 DHC Dash 7
4- Falcon 20
5 Beech 18, (just for not killing me)
6 King Air 200

I once was jump-seating with a NWA captain who was a few days from retirement- he said that after he retired he was gonna go to the desert and buy a 727, have it taken apart and shipped to his home and reassembled in his back yard. That way he could get up too early every morning, go out back and pi&& on it, then go crawl back into bed and sleep in. In keeping with that thought, my two LEAST favorite airplanes are:

1- 727
2- Saab 340 (both A and B models)

Back