Your Club's Website Hosting Fees?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eugenefl

Reaction score
Greetings All!

A few of us down here in Tampa are attempting to start a new local NAR chapter. We've got ourselves 5 NAR members, a temporary field, and all we're looking for now is a good, reliable, but perhaps inexpensive internet web hosting provider.

Some of our requirements:

1. Absolutely NO popup ads
  2. 3GB-5GB of space mainly for photos
  3. 5-10 Email addresses
  4. Traffic approx. 100-150 new hits per month
  5. Server side tools (ie - site activity reports, server sided scripts, etc)
    [/list=1]

I think that covers some of our basic needs. I may be neglecting a few other things, but any of you with experience hosting and doing web admin work for your club's site might offer some assistance.

So how much should I expect to pay for this type service? $15 per month? $25 per month? Anyone with good rates or comments based on experience is welcome to chime in with some advice. We'd appreciate it greatly! :)

Eugene,

I use GoDaddy for all three of my websites, including the one I host for Tripoli Mid Ohio. They can get you registered with a ".org" Domain Name for $8.95/yr and they will park it for you for free until you have a host. Moreover, they host websites and you can get one for your club that would work well for $3.95/mo and includes 25mb of storage. Moreover, they are a breeze to interface your domain name with the site and they are both reliable and fast.

I have purchased all three of my domain names from them, along with website space. You can set your account for monthly billing which is what I do ... it works well. Forgot to mention, you also get email for having an account and you get free email forwarding to your own personal account. You could make an address like [email protected] forward directly to hotmail and it's easy to do. URL is www.godaddy.com

Hope this helps,

Carl

We at Rockethead Rockets use Yahoo GEO cities. It is $8.95 a month plus a $15.00 set up fee. There is no fee for domain registeration. There is also no pop ups with it. I am thinking about moving our club web site over to them. It is very easy to make a web site. Check our out at www.rocketheadrockets.com

Originally posted by CTulanko
Eugene,

I use GoDaddy for all three of my websites, including the one I host for Tripoli Mid Ohio. They can get you registered with a ".org" Domain Name for $8.95/yr and they will park it for you for free until you have a host. Moreover, they host websites and you can get one for your club that would work well for $3.95/mo and includes 25mb of storage. Moreover, they are a breeze to interface your domain name with the site and they are both reliable and fast.

I have purchased all three of my domain names from them, along with website space. You can set your account for monthly billing which is what I do ... it works well. Forgot to mention, you also get email for having an account and you get free email forwarding to your own personal account. You could make an address like [email protected] forward directly to hotmail and it's easy to do. URL is www.godaddy.com

Hope this helps,

Carl

Hey there Carl. Actually, I registered our club's name - HERCrocketry.org for 2 years at GoDaddy. Their domain name fees are relatively cheap versus other registrars. I hadn't looked into their hosting though. My only concern is the 25mb storage. It seems like we would run through that relatively quickly. Do any of your sites have photo galleries or any type media stored on there? I know you use the TRF server for the pHp photo albums, but what about the club sites?

PAH, I looked into hostfor2bucks.com and their service looks pretty attractive. In terms of space, I wonder how quickly we'd run through the 50mb space.

Hey there Rocket Trike. Thanks for the Geocities reference. I'll mark that one down as well. For anyone not familiar with HTML, Homestead.com has a "Site Builder" that is extremely easy to use. No HTML knowledge required whatsoever. I'm just not sure I want to go through them. Seems too mainstream.

Thanks for all of your feedback thus far.

my clan uses woltlab burning board but our moderator is a genius... he converted everything from german to english...

Eugene,

25 or 50 mb is plenty for .jpg's. If you post video though you'll run out of room quick. I had several sites with lots of pics crammed into 50 mb free (HyperMart) for several years. I ran it up to 80 mb and never got charged but now they're cancelling free hosting so I crammed three sites with many pictures into my 10 mb space from my ISP. I still have 5 mb left but I had to get rid of all the zip files (and a few other sites that I no longer maintained) to do it.

I have been useing PHP Web Hosting for about a year and a half for Trailertrashaerospace.com and have had no trouble at all.
9.95 a month for 225 megs+ and unlimited e-mail, full domain hosting and a nice stat system. Check it out, I have fun with it.

https://www.phpwebhosting.com/

So, Eugene...have you found anything yet? We need updates! ;)

Jason

Back