Quantcast

You Win!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

AKPilot

Reaction score
Okay, okay, okay, - you all win! I've been shown the error of my ways.

The TRF staff have been talking in the background for quite a while now, over a month, concerning the adding of new forums. I could go into all of the details, but the bottom line is going to be the same – we're going to add some of the new forums requested & deleting or modifying others. Yup, I was beaten into submission.

Effective within the next few hours we will be adding: R/C Boost Gliders, Goony, and Competition section. Other forums will be combined, where low traffic volume has been noticed.

shreadvector

Reaction score
I really have not been following the "discussion" (other than reading a bit of the flaming over on YORF), but is there a quick answer about plain old boost gliders vs. Radio Control Rocket Gliders?

JRThro

TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think anyone asked for an R/C-specific boost glider forum. They asked for a rocket-boosted glider forum, which would cover all variants: free-flight boost gliders, free-flight rocket gliders, R/C rocket gliders, and R/C boost gliders. Also flex-wings and whatever else I haven't thought of.

Also, Troy, your willingness to be beaten into submission is greatly appreciated!
;)

WiK

Site Admin
Reaction score
I really have not been following the "discussion" (other than reading a bit of the flaming over on YORF), but is there a quick answer about plain old boost gliders vs. Radio Control Rocket Gliders?
Yes - it's for all forms of rocket powered glider. R/C or not, it even includes Helicopter recovery! ;)

georgegassaway

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Gee, I am out of the loop for a couple of days and.....

Will I get my head handed to me if I made some suggestions for some refinements?

I have tried to popularize the term “Rocket Boosted Gliders”, so as to try to clearly (?) include Boost Gliders and Rocket Gliders. The initials for that is RBG.

Now, for Rocket Powered Gliders, the initials for that are RPG? Ever hear of a more famous rocket type of “RPG”?

Rocket Propelled Grenade.

So, I would suggest tweaking the glider forum name to Rocket Boosted Gliders. And this is not me tacking on something new. Take note that in my first reply (Jan 20th) to the thread asking for a Rocket Glider Forum, I suggested exactly that name and the reasons why.

http://rocketryforum.com/showpost.php?p=1312&postcount=23

You may not have much traffic there until some of the people you really ticked off start to come back. You probably know YORF created a glider forum over there, where some of them have gone to, and I do not know how many are going to come back here because of what transpired in the last day or two. I will say that privately I was specifically requested to go and do all my glider posts there, and had you not changed your minds given how things happened here recently that is very likely what I would have done (and some of you know how much I have supported TRF). For tonight I won’t be posting anything on the new TRF “RPG” forum since I have other stuff to do , so this is the only message I am taking time to post.

On to other things.

Glad to see the Scale forum and contest rocketry forums too.

For the Goonies, I always thought that was a joke of a threat. And here's where I probably get my head handed to me, unless you guys have REALLY had one heck of a revelation today. Why not call it “OddRocs”?

I mean, where do THESE fit? (see pics below)
Halloween Rocket, Pumpkin Chute, Frisbee, and St. Patrick’s Day hat.

None are based on a short BT-60, with a Big Bertha shaped nose cone. They are not “Goonies”. So I do not get the fixation of “Goonies” over “Oddrocs”. I mean, I do see why some people love them, but Goonies are a sub-set of OddRocs. It would be like having a Lifting Body Forum instead of a Rocket Boosted Glider Forum (Lifting Bodies are a subset of Gliders). Or having a Saturn-V Rocket forum and NOT a SCALE forum.

Anyway, there indeed was an interesting category that was not included before. But it was not the subset known as "Goonies", but the OddRocs which Goonies are a small part of.

- George Gassaway

IMG_5133.jpg

IMG_4490.JPG

IMG_3240.jpg

Last edited:

rokitflite

Reaction score
RPG? I thought that stood for "Rocketry Proficient Gassaway"... Guess I was mistaken.

Chrisn

Reaction score
Did we win because YORF made a rocket boosted glider forum?

WiK

Site Admin
Reaction score
I have tried to popularize the term “Rocket Boosted Gliders”, so as to try to clearly (?) include Boost Gliders and Rocket Gliders. The initials for that is RBG.

Now, for Rocket Powered Gliders, the initials for that are RPG? Ever hear of a more famous rocket type of “RPG”?

Rocket Propelled Grenade.
Oops, didn't notice that! Thanks for the suggestion, does it look better now?

As for Goonies v OddRocs, I'll let someone else decide about that.

Cheers,
Phil

Fred22

Reaction score
Did we win because YORF made a rocket boosted glider forum?
Nope. Troy made a decision to be flexible and he is to be commended as some have done. I think some others might give that some consideration as well. I am hoping that some of the more strident posters on this topic come forward with some great stuff.
Fred