You might be a child in the 70s if:

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IIRC Kress and Woolworths' department stores were still around locally in the '70s, but declining.
Montgomery Wards as well. Miss the old Woolworth’s and 5&10 , buying penny candy and of course Radio Shack. (Luckily - still have one in my area with a lot of NOS

70s we’re good times. Good music: Good muscle cars; (Centuri Rockets was still around)
- FW Woolworths
-Montgomery Wards
-Summers just hanging out
-7oz Baby Michelobs
-Pizza Hut was the “Go to” place for pizza
-McDonalds had great apple pie and service wasn’t so damn rude
-No overpriced coffeee
-Dunkin’ Donuts made fresh every 4 hours
-SuperTramp and VH II 8 tracks bought for our Radio Shack 8 track player in a 72 beetle. (SuperTramp “Breakfast in America” still on of my fav albums

79 joined the Navy and continued to let the “Good Times Roll”. (CARS) for 20 years

The memories

For us it was 8oz PBR's. One of my suite mates dad owned a canoe liver in Roscommon Michigan. It was on the Au Sable river. In the summer we would spot cars and pick up canoes. Drank some smoked more. We would invite girls from the floor below us and go up there and canoe. I could hold one of those PBR's by the top edge with my teeth and have both hands free to paddle. We kept them cold using a net bag tied to the back of the canoe. Real good times.

I have multiple of these; all but one work - one has a short that's driving me nuts. Also a pair of Model IIIs, and 3 or 4 Model 4s.

-Kevin

I wish I had a Model I. All I have left of my old computers I used to flip is an Apple ][e full setup with cards, drives and monitors. [Green & Color] I last booted it up and tested about 8-10 years ago. I guess I need to get it out of the shed and vacuum up dust and spiders and see if it boots still this year.

But NOT Today or this week; We are having "A Heat Wave, A Tropical Heat Wave. The temperature's rising, It isn't surprising, She certainly can can-can."

70s we’re good times. Good music: Good muscle cars; (Centuri Rockets was still around)
- FW Woolworths
-Montgomery Wards
-Summers just hanging out
-7oz Baby Michelobs
-Pizza Hut was the “Go to” place for pizza
Michelob lager. Not Ultra, not Ultra Gold, not light beer in any way, shape, or form, just...lager. Was my go-to beer way-back-when. Can hardly find it now; a few years ago I had to ask the package store to order some for me. And when it came in, the 6 pack I bought must have been sitting around for a while; it was skunky. :(

How about KMart and the Blue Light Specials? Clickbait in hardware form. A great way to impulse-buy.

Pizza Hut was prohibitively expensive for us in the Land of Ago. We always got what I now call "Pennsylvania Pizza"; cut from a huge rectangle, each cut had sauce, cheese, and exactly one slice of pepperoni. I thought the round pizzas I saw on TV were for show, did not know that round pizza actually existed until Elder Sister brought home leftovers from her date. Three or four slices of pepperoni on just one wedge! Extra cheese! And sausage and green peppers to boot!;)

I wish I had a Model I. All I have left of my old computers I used to flip is an Apple ][e full setup with cards, drives and monitors. [Green & Color] I last booted it up and tested about 8-10 years ago. I guess I need to get it out of the shed and vacuum up dust and spiders and see if it boots still this year.

But NOT Today or this week; We are having "A Heat Wave, A Tropical Heat Wave. The temperature's rising, It isn't surprising, She certainly can can-can."

Curious what you've got for cards in the //e.

I'm not certain, but I think one of the last years you were at SLI, I had a Model 1 with me. It was getting some surgery done.

If you want a Model 1, I may be able to help make that happen.

-Kevin

Curious what you've got for cards in the //e.

I'm not certain, but I think one of the last years you were at SLI, I had a Model 1 with me. It was getting some surgery done.

If you want a Model 1, I may be able to help make that happen.

-Kevin

I'd like one, but have no room for one :D

I have the 80 Col card, and someplace the RS-232 card if I could find it.

I'd like one, but have no room for one :D

I have the 80 Col card, and someplace the RS-232 card if I could find it.

Keep clearing out rocket stuff... ;)

I'm part way into building a clone Altair 8800. I'd love to have an original, but those aren't easy to come by. I should've had an Imsai, but someone lied to someone running an estate sale and sweet-talked the person running it into letting him in ahead of my scheduled time.

For us it was 8oz PBR's. One of my suite mates dad owned a canoe liver in Roscommon Michigan. It was on the Au Sable river. In the summer we would spot cars and pick up canoes. Drank some smoked more. We would invite girls from the floor below us and go up there and canoe. I could hold one of those PBR's by the top edge with my teeth and have both hands free to paddle. We kept them cold using a net bag tied to the back of the canoe. Real good times.
Briefly in the early 80's Pabst Blue Ribbon had 8-packs of 7 Oz. cans. They were a perfect fit in BT-70, and light enough for old MR beerloft. I published plans in a newsletter, and flew it at NARAM-24. Rick Gaff snapped a photo and got it printed in Sport Rocketry by calling it a Dual Egglofter.

I never understood the reason or market for small beers. Then again, I don't know why 12 Oz. become standard. A pint makes more sense, but then there is the difference between the US and English pints.

Keep clearing out rocket stuff... ;)

I'm part way into building a clone Altair 8800. I'd love to have an original, but those aren't easy to come by. I should've had an Imsai, but someone lied to someone running an estate sale and sweet-talked the person running it into letting him in ahead of my scheduled time.

I sold my 8800b in 1999 :oops: It's power supply was not working anymore but it was in Museum quality. I got $1795 plus shipping on Ebay starting the Bid at $300. * That helped pay off some debt. That is 3,385 today, I sold it to a guy building a Museum in Canada.

Those things back then were Very Very heavy due to the transformer inside. About as heavy as a 1,000 watt Ham Radio tube amplifier. Your clone won't have that issue :D

* Pirates of the Silicon Valley was running non-stop most days on TNT that part of 1999, and making a huge demand for old computers. I sold a few others as well..

I sold my 8800b in 1999 :oops: It's power supply was not working anymore but it was in Museum quality. I got $1795 plus shipping on Ebay starting the Bid at $300. * That helped pay off some debt. That is 3,385 today, I sold it to a guy building a Museum in Canada.

Those things back then were Very Very heavy due to the transformer inside. About as heavy as a 1,000 watt Ham Radio tube amplifier. Your clone won't have that issue :D

Yeah, there are people all over the place who are claiming they're building computer museums. Very few of them ever come into existence, and many that do quickly fold

You're not wrong about the weight. For my clone, the power supplies weigh about the same as the empty case.

-Kevin

Briefly in the early 80's Pabst Blue Ribbon had 8-packs of 7 Oz. cans. They were a perfect fit in BT-70, and light enough for old MR beerloft. I published plans in a newsletter, and flew it at NARAM-24. Rick Gaff snapped a photo and got it printed in Sport Rocketry by calling it a Dual Egglofter.

I never understood the reason or market for small beers. Then again, I don't know why 12 Oz. become standard. A pint makes more sense, but then there is the difference between the US and English pints.
I wasn't sure if was 7oz or 8oz. The reason we got them was because they didn't get warm before you could drink them.

Back