You might be a child in the 70s if:

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The company has decided to put tiny little kiosks with their most popular small items on street corners.
They're called Pieces of Sheetz.

Last edited:
Sheetz started in Altoona PA, very close to where I grew up. When traveling I look for them for coffee---rely on them for real half-n-half, not that plastic powder stuff) and gobs (AKA whoopie pies; chocolate cake sandwich with vanilla cream filling). They're now in WV and eastern KY but haven't gotten to PartsUnknown KY just yet.

There are building in Tool-E-Do Ohio as I type this. About 1 mile from me.

I am this old but cant find the instruction manual :dontknow:

View attachment 650473
I learned to use an abacus around 1991 or so. (I've since forgotten.) I don't remember any of them having 1/4 beads - I'm not sure if that's my poor memory, or an uncommon feature.

In the hands of a skilled user, they are faster than a calculator. I think this is partly because you enter the operations at the same time you enter the numbers, plus you can do multiple digits of the number at once. As a simple example, 12+34 requires six keystrokes on a calculator (1,2,+,3,4,=) but only two moves on an abacus (12,+34).

But that's not TRS-DOS. See the tape recorder? No expansion module under the monitor, so no floppy drive. Yes, TRS-DOS ran on the model 1, but not the one pictured.

As a simple example, 12+34 requires six keystrokes on a calculator (1,2,+,3,4,=) but only two moves on an abacus (12,+34).
Huh, what's that last character? The sequence is 1, 2, Enter, 3, 4, +. :p

Last edited:
Back