You may have a rocketry problem if...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you think spending $900 on a rocket might not be a rocket problem because you could argue that maybe it's a money problem instead, yes, you have a rocket problem.

You have a rocket problem if you are replying to this thread while building a rocket at the same time.
I have to wait till the glue on my finger tips dry before I can touch my phone.

You might have a rocket problem because you don't hear a word your wife or girlfriend is saying because you're thinking about how you are going to get those internal fillets in the fin can.
My wife is weird. She starts every conversation with “are you even listening to me?”

Wow! I assume some (or most) of you are kidding. My wife did support my hobbies and I supported hers. We've been together a long time and, I think, understand each other. She didn't blink when I spent $2300 at Wildman a year or two ago. Of course she does have a $6500 sewing machine that she doesn't use anymore. Don't get old it sucks badly for some.

If you look at a 20-series Learjet, and wonder what it would take to convert and send the tip-tank vertical........

Wow! I assume some (or most) of you are kidding. My wife did support my hobbies and I supported hers. We've been together a long time and, I think, understand each other. She didn't blink when I spent $2300 at Wildman a year or two ago. Of course she does have a $6500 sewing machine that she doesn't use anymore. Don't get old it sucks badly for some.
If I dropped $2300 on a rocket my wife would hit the roof. That's because she knows we can't afford to drop that kind of money on hobby stuff, and I know it too. And that's why I wouldn't do it, not because of her inevitable anger.

If we were in a position to spend like that, I'd still tell her first. Then she'd say "Sure honey, sounds like fun," and that'd be that.

I like to think that we're pretty typical.

On the other hand:
  • If you spend too much time reading TRF at your desk at work, you might have a rocket problem.
  • If every hollow cylindrical object you see looks like a body tube or motor mount, you might have a rocket problem.
  • If you see the gussets at the bottoms of light poles and think they're fins, you might have a rocket problem.
  • If you get excited about clever ways to organize your sand paper collection, you might have a rocket problem.
Yeah, that's all me.

If I dropped $2300 on a rocket my wife would hit the roof. That's because she knows we can't afford to drop that kind of money on hobby stuff, and I know it too. And that's why I wouldn't do it, not because of her inevitable anger.

If we were in a position to spend like that, I'd still tell her first. Then she'd say "Sure honey, sounds like fun," and that'd be that.

I like to think that we're pretty typical.

On the other hand:Yeah, that's all me.
Well, it's not like we are independently wealthy or anything. I tried to plan well for our retirement. There were a lot of years living paycheck to paycheck, especially while I was in the military. If we want something we talk about it and save for it. And Wildman wasn't a rocket, it was a bunch of stuff including a pile of motors AND a rocket. 😁

Read all of comments....where were the problems?
On Twitter someone posted that his wife accused him of having a problem. He attached a picture of his rocket collection, which probably numbered about 20 LPR, which all fit on top of a single cabinet.

My first gut reaction was “yeah dude, you do have a problem: not enough rockets!”

If that is your reaction to seeing someone’s fleet, you might have a rocketry problem. :)

Well, it's not like we are independently wealthy or anything. I tried to plan well for our retirement. There were a lot of years living paycheck to paycheck, especially while I was in the military. If we want something we talk about it and save for it. And Wildman wasn't a rocket, it was a bunch of stuff including a pile of motors AND a rocket. 😁
[/QUOTE
I agree with you. Unless you’ve hit the lottery or worked hard to retire comfortably, then we all “ live paycheck to paycheck”.

You always swing by the clearance aisle to see if they have anything that could plausibly be repurposed as a rocket part. Do you ever use the said bargains? That's the problem....

On Twitter someone posted that his wife accused him of having a problem. He attached a picture of his rocket collection, which probably numbered about 20 LPR, which all fit on top of a single cabinet.

My first gut reaction was “yeah dude, you do have a problem: not enough rockets!”
[SNARK=toung_in_cheek]Yes, you have a rocket problem: wrong wife.[/SNARK]
Seriously, 20 hobby items that all fit in a small space? Probably $400 worth, give or take, accumulated over how long? This guy does not have a rocket problem.

[SNARK=toung_in_cheek]Yes, you have a rocket problem: wrong wife.[/SNARK]
Seriously, 20 hobby items that all fit in a small space? Probably $400 worth, give or take, accumulated over how long? This guy does not have a rocket problem.
Agreed, I was pretty amused. But for those who aren't exposed to the crazies here with their insane collections, it may seem like a lot.

20 LPR rockets!?!? I try to give that many away to kids at launches!!! Seriously, I keep a stash of new/gently used rockets with me for just such a purpose. I enjoy designing and building, as much or more than I enjoy flying. That's my solution to keep the herd down to something reasonable!

You have a headlamp so you can go outdoors and spray paint after dark.

I can safely say I have never used my headlamp (Harbor Freight, not Black Diamond) to paint rockets after dark. Rockets need to come in before dark because of dogs [I can PEE on somethin NEW!!!] and sprinklers. Cleaning up dog poop and working in my attic are things I have used my headlamp for... Unrelated: Black Diamond HQ is just down the street.

As far as $ goes, what I love about this hobby is that there is a price point no matter how much or little $ you have. Part of me would love to spend $2,300 (or more) on rocketry related things. However, I can't responsibly do that. Or I would have to give up a bunch of other activities/hobbies to do so. So I don't. When $ is tight, I build and fly MicroMaxx. When I've got the money, I fly MPR/HPR clusters.

And I've got no grounds for offering opinions on what other people do or do not tell their S.O.s. I will say that based on my experience and observations, if you are regularly hiding expenditures, there's probably something wrong. But you probably already know that:rolleyes:

You have a five minute break between meetings;
You use that time to run outside and apply a coat of paint to your rockets;
And you only remember that you forgot to take a "bio break" when you are joining the next meeting

Guilty.....!!

If you drive by a park, or open field and mentally do the math on how large a motor you could fly there then start listing the rockets in your fleet that would work, you might have a rocket problem.

If you lay away at night trying to figure out the steps you're going to take and the parts list you're going to need for your next build, you might have a rocket problem.

If you have bought motors for rockets that you don't own yet. You might have a rocket problem.

If you spend more time on the rocket forums than you do working, you might have a rocket problem.

Last edited:
  • If your Facebook & Instagram profile pics have you and a rocket instead of you and your significant other. :wos_love:
  • If you're sitting at your desk while reading this and can reach at least 5 rockets or rocket parts without getting up. 😁
  • If you have to budget for your epoxy purchases
  • If everyone knows you at work as "that rocket guy" and you're not in a rocketry company
  • When visitors at work all go to your desk to check out the rockets rather than the meeting they're in town for

• If your Facebook & Instagram profile pics have you and a rocket instead of you and your significant other. :wos_love:
  • If you're sitting at your desk while reading this and can reach at least 5 rockets or rocket parts without getting up. 😁
  • If everyone knows you at work as "that rocket guy" and you're not in a rocketry company
  • When visitors at work all go to your desk to check out the rockets rather than the meeting they're in town for
If you can rattle off at least 5 responses to this thread without even trying! :p

When you have to keep a list of your motors and rockets on your phone just incase the local hobby shop might have something you do not already have... and you have only known about model rocketry 3-4mo

When you have more types of primer, filler, and color spray cans and could make a graffiti artist jealous.

Rockets : Launches

Apogee Components
Zephyr 4”

Aerotech
Mustang
Strong Arm

Estes
220 Swift
Alpha
Baby Bertha : 1
Black Brant III
Bull Pup 12D v1 : 1
Bull Pup 12D v2
Cadet : 1
Cherokee-Ex (Light Blue) v1 : 1
Cherokee-Ex (Dark Blue) v2
Citation Patriot
Crossfire ISX
Der Red Max
Dragonite
ESAM-58 (Red) v1
ESAM-58 (Black) v2
Epic II (Blue/Grey) v1
Epic II (Black/Red) v2
Epic II (Black/Yellow) v3
Expedition : 1
Generic E2X
Goblin (Yellow/Black)
Goblin v2
Goblin v3
Hi-Flier
Hi-Flier XL (Green) v1 : 1
Hi-Flier XL (Red) v2
Honest John Mini
Humdinger : 1
Long Ranger
Low Boom SST
Majestic : 1
Mean Machine : 1
Mongoose
Nike-X
SA-2061 Sasha
Saturn 1B
Savage
Starship Octavious
Taser
Tigres
Vapor
Xtreme
Yankee

LOC Precision
Goblin 4”
Nike Zues
Phoenix 2.6”

Madcow Rocketry
Phoenix 4”

North Coast Rocketry
Hobgoblin 2.6”

Public Missiles Ltm
AMRAAM 2”
AMRAAM 3”

Rocketerium
AMRAAM 1.64”

Last edited:
If your significant other, fresh from the shower, jumps into the bed alongside you with nothing on, looks dreamily into your eyes from about three inches away while she sneakily checks to see if you're ready, and says "I know what you need," and your brain immediately goes to whatever rocketry related question you've been working on lately........then you have a rocketry problem
......... and you need a new brain
...........and if you don't play your cards right, you're going to need a new significant other
.......and frankly, you ought to marry her and settle down and raise up the next generation of rocketeers
...... but that's just my opinion......

I can't believe I just typed any of that......

LOL

Brad

Guilty of everything except the epoxy 😂 .

Back