You know you live in a small town when....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I should scan some stories and/or photos and tag lines from *my* local paper....

I have a story to tell on this. More later. Gotta ran for a few minutes.... ;)

Wait a second!

Did i read that right???:confused:

Was that officer...SWINEHART?:D :D :D :D :D

OK, it was more than "a few minutes"....

But I still can't take the time right now. Gotta get the kids to bed. I like this story I want to tell, but it's a bit involved. Tomorrow morning....

Originally posted by solrules
....this makes front page news in the local newspaper!

When my parents first moved to a farm in Hebron, IN, the local paper had a column written by someone wacthing out the window. "So and so went to have lunch at the such and such diner....".

In Radford VA, there used to be a traffic jam downtown every morning at 9. Downtown is 2 block long, along a single street. I thought it was a traffic jam until I noticed that it was everybody waving and saying good morning to each other, in the other cars and on the sidewalks. It wasn't a traffic jam, it was a social event.

Originally posted by sandman
Wait a second!

Did i read that right???:confused:

Was that officer...SWINEHART?:D :D :D :D :D

wasn't he an experimental transplant patient?

Originally posted by Elapid
wasn't he an experimental transplant patient?

Wasn't that the name of the rocket in the Muppet Show's "Pigs In Space"?

Originally posted by DynaSoar
In Radford VA, there used to be a traffic jam downtown every morning at 9. Downtown is 2 block long, along a single street. I thought it was a traffic jam until I noticed that it was everybody waving and saying good morning to each other, in the other cars and on the sidewalks. It wasn't a traffic jam, it was a social event.
I saw the same thing in New York city once, except there were a lot more people and they weren't waving and saying good morning, they were using some peculiar greeting involving a finger and conveying greetings to the other person's mother.

Or something like that.

Well, I originated from the city (Schenectady), but have spent all of my adult life in the small town of Merrimack. Well, it *used* to be small. When we moved here there were about 6,000 folks, now it's about 29,000...

And we're surrounded by small towns and farm comunities. How small??

Well, we had an incident that spent nearly a year in the papers from one of these small towns. Seems there was a small country road that meandered thorugh the country side. It had one real bad curve in it, near a lake. A popular place for deer to cross, a popular place for deer to get hit by a car.

The town took defensive action and had a town meeting and a vote (it's all very proper and formal around here, ya'know), and funds were appropriated to put up a sign for "Caution! Deer Crossing". It all made perfect sense. That is, until Farmer Fred showed up.

Fred was *real* upset and he made his concerns known to the Board of Selectman, in full view of the public. You see, he argued that that was the "stupidest place to put that sign", he explained to these *stupid* selectmen (and women) who *clearly* had no knowlege of how dangerous this area was that they should move the sign down the road about a mile where it is safer for the deer to cross. For you see, the deer get hit by cars on that curve all the time! Why on EARTH would we put a sign up telling them this is the place to cross the road!!

He was furious.

The local news papers were thrilled

:D :D

I went to college (at first) in a small town in Texas called Alpine. When you talk small town thing tend to get "lumped together"

I guess it made sense to have a store with a drive up window where you could buy beer and ammunition....

Back