You know what would be great? A "Watering Hole" thread for ONLY rocketry related stuff.

lakeroadster

👀 Oddroc Scum 👀 CAD Monkey LPR/MPR
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
99% of the threads I ignore have nothing to do with rocketry. Like the music threads, the "aliens" threads, etc. Is it possible to have a watering hole thread defined as...

The Rocket Specific Watering Hole​

An area where general discussions can take place, that don't necessarily fit well into other categories. Threads can must relate to rocketry.

lakeroadster

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Probably doesn’t make sense. What’s an example of the kind of thread that is rocketry related, but doesn’t fit into one of the rocketry sub forums?

What did you do rocket wise today?

And why wouldn’t it be OK to just put it in the existing Watering Hole?

It would be OK. But if all the non-rocketry related threads were in one sub-forum, then members could ignore the entire non-rocket related sub-forum.

Then when you look at new posts, every post would be rocketry related.

Sparky

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
The Watering Hole is for things other than rocketry since the rest of the forum is rocketry. But rocketry does get in there too and that is fine.

Sparky

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
1660004813614.png

Each thread you don't want to see has an "Ignore" at the top. You can go to each one you don't want to see and do an Ignore on it.

lakeroadster

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The Watering Hole is for things other than rocketry since the rest of the forum is rocketry. But rocketry does get in there too and that is fine.

To be clear, the "Watering Hole" is specifically defined as "Threads can relate to rocketry"

View attachment 531551

Each thread you don't want to see has an "Ignore" at the top. You can go to each one you don't want to see and do an Ignore on it.

Know it, live it, ad nauseum...

My thought was simply that ignoring an entire non-rocket related sub-forum would be less time consuming than ignoring thousands of threads over time as they randomly appear in the feed.

No worries... it was just a suggestion.

troj

Wielder Of the Skillet Of Harsh Discipline, Potent
Reaction score
Coming at this from the perspective of someone with more than a few years of administration/moderation experience on various systems.... I understand the reasoning behind requests like this, but it creates more work for a group who are volunteering their time. It means that every post/thread has to be reviewed and a determination made of "Does it belong in Watering Hole X, or does it belong in Watering Hole Y?" Then you get into the fun of the stuff that's on the fence and could be argued either way - where does it belong?

I can tell you that when I ran TRF, on average it consumed a couple hours of my time, every day, to keep tabs on what was going on.

Nothing wrong with making suggestions - users come up with ideas that the people running these places don't.

-Kevin

fyrwrxz

latest photo
Reaction score
Depending on how you look at it, it could be argued that this thread is not about rockets/rocketry.

ssixsixsixe desires
Dave, this thread is not about rocketry. This post is not about rocketry. Nothing we do here is about rocketry. Nobody knows anything about rocketry here. This is just an expression of our ability to conjure up an alternate reality from our subconcious desires and expectations. So, I was expecting a thread on rocketry. Viola! A thread on rocketry has manifested itself out of randomly assembled electrons. Ohhhh, the veil is very thin today. Oh look! A squirrel! I think I'll call him Rocky. A squirrel has just manifested itself. A cold beer sounds good. I said " a cold beer sounds good". Hmm, maybe a refriderator has manifested itself in my kitchen. Talk amongst yourselves. Mostly about rockets, okay? I have to go manifest a bottle opener.

fyrwrxz

latest photo
Reaction score
Waiter, I 'd like the dinner for two, please. Whatever Frank Burke is having is fine. And rocketry for dessert. No, I'm not expecting any one else...
Maybe a side of clusters with ejection charge sprinkles. Yes, the boron flavoured will be fine. I'd like to send the young lady at the bar a parachute, but don't tell her who it's from.
No, I don't think I'm OCD, why do you ask?

H_Rocket

Death by Powerpoint
Reaction score
Pardon me for asking for a way to focus on Rocketry.... on The Rocketry Forum.

That's just an over-the-top crazy idea.

I don't know what I was thinking.

Sorry if I triggered you.... not.
You give yourself way too much credit for being able to "trigger" me. I think your post on this same subject (I think it was #3,572) elicited a smart ass response from me. And no, I'm not sorry for "triggering" you either.

neil_w

OpenRocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
In general, the organization of forums like this is always a balancing act.

A slightly more palatable way to phrase this proposal might be: A new "Miscellaneous rocketry topics" forum, for threads that don't have an obvious home right now. Get rid of the term "Watering Hole" and it's less confusing. No need to moderate the Watering Hole forum (other than for forbidden topics etc.); if folks want to (mistakenly) put rocket-related topics in the Watering Hole, let them. Just keep non-rocketry topics out of the new forum. That should not be too hard. Most folks are smart enough not to put a "LOL Pic" thread in a Rocketry topics forum.

A useful exercise might be to look through the Watering Hole and identify the threads that would be better off in the new forum. Is it enough to justify the extra bit of segmentation?

I'm kind of on the fence about this one, but when in doubt I tend to come down on the side of "don't create new forums" (unless you can simultaneously eliminate another, sort of like the 1-in/1-out rule of keeping a closet under control). That said, if this were implemented I'd probably enjoy it and make use of it in the same way as proposed, putting an "ignore" on the original Watering Hole.

In a fantasy world, tags could solve all these problems... but in the real world is it literally impossible to enforce tag usage.

BigMacDaddy

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Is it possible to ignore a subforum but follow a thread inside that subforum? What overrides what if you do this?

I was thinking ignore the watering hole but follow any interesting threads like "what did I do rocketwise today"... Would only need to check the subforum every couple of weeks to see if anything interesting / rocketry-related is going on.

neil_w

OpenRocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Is it possible to ignore a subforum but follow a thread inside that subforum? What overrides what if you do this?

I was thinking ignore the watering hole but follow any interesting threads like "what did I do rocketwise today"... Would only need to check the subforum every couple of weeks to see if anything interesting / rocketry-related is going on.
I believe that "Watch Thread" overrides any sort of "Ignore" function... but in that case I *think* that you'll get notifications for that thread but you will not see the thread in thread listings.

bguffer

Reaction score
Is it possible to add capability to ignore threads from the the page that lists the threads?
There seems to already be an ignore capability, but you have to click into the thread to click the ignore link, which is time consuming.

Unsure where the ignore state is stored. If stored remotely, and people start using, that might start hogging up remote disk space over time.

Bob

CalebJ

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Assuming the ignore list is simply a collection of settings stored in a database, it's hard to fathom that being a significant storage hit.

Sparky

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score

Ignore the forum, the contents don't show to you.

Sparky

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
I believe that "Watch Thread" overrides any sort of "Ignore" function... but in that case I *think* that you'll get notifications for that thread but you will not see the thread in thread listings.

I've not tried that, but I'm not sure you're correct. Worth an experiment.

boatgeek

Reaction score
In general, the organization of forums like this is always a balancing act.

A slightly more palatable way to phrase this proposal might be: A new "Miscellaneous rocketry topics" forum, for threads that don't have an obvious home right now. Get rid of the term "Watering Hole" and it's less confusing. No need to moderate the Watering Hole forum (other than for forbidden topics etc.); if folks want to (mistakenly) put rocket-related topics in the Watering Hole, let them. Just keep non-rocketry topics out of the new forum. That should not be too hard. Most folks are smart enough not to put a "LOL Pic" thread in a Rocketry topics forum.

A useful exercise might be to look through the Watering Hole and identify the threads that would be better off in the new forum. Is it enough to justify the extra bit of segmentation?

I'm kind of on the fence about this one, but when in doubt I tend to come down on the side of "don't create new forums" (unless you can simultaneously eliminate another, sort of like the 1-in/1-out rule of keeping a closet under control). That said, if this were implemented I'd probably enjoy it and make use of it in the same way as proposed, putting an "ignore" on the original Watering Hole.

In a fantasy world, tags could solve all these problems... but in the real world is it literally impossible to enforce tag usage.
In the library world, there's always tension between lumpers and splitters. Lumpers put stuff together, splitters divide them up. And of course, whether you lump or split depends on the size of the collection, the intended user base, and to some degree the personality of the librarian. A great example is that your local public library might have a section on law. Every legal commentary book they have is lumped together there under similar call numbers. That approach would be totally unusable at the university law library, since their users would need to break out contract law vs. criminal law vs. torts, statutes vs. legal opinions vs. commentary, etc. So the real question is whether TRF as a whole wants to be lumpers or splitters? I tend toward lumping, since it's not that hard to see whether Watering Hole threads are rocketry related or not, and they don't go by that quickly.

Things you learn from being married to a librarian, especially one in a very specialized library.

neil_w

OpenRocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So the real question is whether TRF as a whole wants to be lumpers or splitters?
Past history suggests that, beyond “building and/or flying tickets” there’s nothing that “TRF as a whole” wants. 😉
I tend toward lumping, since it's not that hard to see whether Watering Hole threads are rocketry related or not, and they don't go by that quickly.
True, but the purpose of all proposals like this one is customize your “feed”, I.e. the thread lists that appear when you look at “what’s new” or something like that. Having a bunch of unwanted threads constantly put in front of you creates extra cognitive load. Yes, you can “Ignore” those threads, but that requires ongoing effort.

Obviously this is not the difference between “forum is great” and “forum sucks”, but it’s potentially a little quality-of-life improvement, at the cost of more segmentation.

Sparky

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
" constantly put in front of you creates extra cognitive load. Yes, you can “Ignore” those threads, but that requires ongoing effort."

It does require some effort by you to get it as you want it, the tools are there. But expecting to change things because you or 6 or 7 yous is not reasonable.
You can make it as you want it. Don't try to change it for everyone else.

neil_w

OpenRocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
It does require some effort by you to get it as you want it, the tools are there. But expecting to change things because you or 6 or 7 yous is not reasonable.
You can make it as you want it. Don't try to change it for everyone else.
That is a needlessly hostile response. I have already stated that when in doubt I lean towards less segmentation, and it may well be that a majority do not favor this proposal. But it's frustrating that virtually any suggestion like this is always met with a slew of "just ignore what you're not interested in" responses, which is not the right answer. If it were, there would be no subforums at all, just one giant catch-all. Just mash the Ignore button all day, be happy!

The relevant question when considering a new subforum is whether it improves the forum user experience on the whole. *Of course* you can ignore (or Ignore, as you prefer) uninteresting threads. That's not the question.

And now I think I might just exercise that extremely well-worn "Ignore Thread" button myself.

rharshberger

Reaction score
Waiter, I 'd like the dinner for two, please. Whatever Frank Burke is having is fine. And rocketry for dessert. No, I'm not expecting any one else...
Maybe a side of clusters with ejection charge sprinkles. Yes, the boron flavoured will be fine. I'd like to send the young lady at the bar a parachute, but don't tell her who it's from.
No, I don't think I'm OCD, why do you ask?
Given the number of good/fantastic cooks in Frank Burke's home I have rarely seen anything I wouldn't eat, so yeah I will have whatever Frank's having ...😉

troj

Wielder Of the Skillet Of Harsh Discipline, Potent
Reaction score
Can I suggest people take a step back, take a deep cleansing breath, and remember that this is a hobby? It's supposed to be fun. :)