You Ever Build something so (Intricate, detailed, expensive) you were afraid to fly it?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PayLoad

I don't do spirals
Reaction score
What the hell is wrong with me? Having this beautiful electronics package put together (Twin Twin HD Cameras, Aim Xtra, Flightsketch, Wifi Controls, Single 7.4 LIPO to charge everything) and I'm afraid to put it in the bird it was intended for (8,000 ft MoonShot II) We are all a bit nuts, I guess, but this is stupid. What is wrong with me? I went so far as to make a purchase from Public Missiles today for parts just to barely get this unit in the air (1000 feet)

I fear flying all my scale models and my HPR's, but they get flown, because if I don't fly them, then what the heck did I build them for?

I still hold to this philosophy after having crashed and wrecked a Saturn V, suffered two CATO's in my Mercury Atlas before its third flight was good, and shredded a high power rocket worth hundreds of dollars.

I'm one of those types that like building about as much as flying. I always figure that the first flight is the end of the build process and if everything goes N-1 on me, well, I have gotten to enjoy the time I spent building it. That's not to say there aren't any butterflies when the count approaches zero, though; quite the opposite!!!

I am always very methodical about my flight prep and have few failures, but something can always happen when you light a rocket (Insert your favorite quote here). That's why we call it "launching" and not "recovering"! 😜

P.S. ALWAYS get pictures!

I fear flying all my scale models and my HPR's, but they get flown, because if I don't fly them, then what the heck did I build them for?
That about sums it up for me. In my case it's not a money issue, because my builds aren't very expensive, just a matter of the work put into them.

But they all go up.

That about sums it up for me. In my case it's not a money issue, because my builds aren't very expensive, just a matter of the work put into them.

But they all go up.

This. My post-BAR Estes Black Brant II was not expensive or intricate, but it was pristine nonetheless. I lost it in the woods on its first flight. It reminded me to 1. Maybe not spend SO much effort on finishing flying rockets and 2. If you're going to launch that kind of rocket, be patient for good winds and a good field to try and ensure recovery.

I enjoy building. The process (most times) is what helps keep my mind sharp and relaxes me. Before getting back into rockets I built 1/32 scale airplanes models.
I was trying to build one of everything based out of Mtn Home AFB. I managed to get everything but the F-111. (Still looking for one)
Back to rockets, I built it to fly it. When I was a teen I spent weeks building the Saturn V kit it did a Cato on the first launch. I sorta repaired it and never tried to fly that one again.
Since coming back to this hobby I have my PML AMRAAM4 flown once.
On the table to fly 38mm MDRM, Space Shot scale nearly complete, PML Tiny Pterodactyl nearly complete less paint and a few Low power.
I hope I never get a Cato, but we all know it is a mater of time.
Just look at the bad day thread, that one will make you cry.

And I have a PMI Bull Puppy that will fly on anything I put in it, and land within 10 feet of me - my go-to rocket when I just need a launch

I think we all have at least one 'Hanger Queen'..

and as one once said: "If you can't afford to lose it / crash it, you can't afford to fly it.."

In the case of the electronics package, the low test flight is right thing to do. You can see the whole flight to verify operation and if it comes in hard from 1000', you'll recover at least some of it.

As for rockets, well... if you don't fly them, they're just models. Build them the way you have to, that's your obligation to yourself. But the sky is their destiny, don't deny their rocket DNA!

I enjoy building. The process (most times) is what helps keep my mind sharp and relaxes me. Before getting back into rockets I built 1/32 scale airplanes models.
I was trying to build one of everything based out of Mtn Home AFB. I managed to get everything but the F-111. (Still looking for one)
Back to rockets, I built it to fly it. When I was a teen I spent weeks building the Saturn V kit it did a Cato on the first launch. I sorta repaired it and never tried to fly that one again.
Since coming back to this hobby I have my PML AMRAAM4 flown once.
On the table to fly 38mm MDRM, Space Shot scale nearly complete, PML Tiny Pterodactyl nearly complete less paint and a few Low power.
I hope I never get a Cato, but we all know it is a mater of time.
Just look at the bad day thread, that one will make you cry.
We were stationed at Mtn. Home from 81 to 87. Don't forget the EF-111. Then to RAF Lakenheath with more F-111's. Always liked those planes. I have a display model. I don't remember where I got it.

You can put 500 plus dollars worth of electronics into a rocket , but if you don't use the electronics to their capability , it's on you .
You van build a solid carbon rocket , and use shatty cord and the rocket comes in ballistic . As a fellow contractor told me once , prep for the worst and hottest , moment , and you will never be worried . I've flown rockets worth over 1000 dollars ( a Shadow Composites Ravin Ex ) on a Loki J1001 blue to have a migrant worker pick it up and put it on the collecton truck , and walked 3 miles to track it down at the sod farm home location 2 days later. Or to watch a 10 foot tall magnum duel deploy on a K700 get picked up and hauled off in front of you as you run down the main road in Geneseeo . Rockets are like boats , they are money pits .

We were stationed at Mtn. Home from 81 to 87. Don't forget the EF-111. Then to RAF Lakenheath with more F-111's. Always liked those planes. I have a display model. I don't remember where I got it.
I hadn’t forgotten the E, I will take either the A or the EA if I can find one with MO livery even better.
I have the F4, The F15 and 16 now just waiting for Tanmodel to finally release their F111. I’ve not built one of their models yet, but should be interesting.
They base and build their molds on a full laser scan of the real aircraft.

If I was going to be afraid to fly it, as in get cold feet and not fly it, I'd never build it.

I will say the times I flew this were the most "concerned" I was before launching a model. Although not the most nervous.

Qjpn9Gg.jpg

RGzLwhF.jpg

nxcz7ax.jpg

Last edited:
I enjoy building, and my rockets are all low power and inexpensive. I've decided in the abstract that destruction of a rocket I like is really just an opportunity to rebuild it better, because I enjoy building. We'll see how that goes in practice when I actually lose one of the nice ones, keep an eye out for me grinding my teeth and muttering "I enjoy building" over and over again.

Before I say this, let me reiterate that I really do *not* want to lose any of my scratchbuilds, especially on the first flight (I'm very conservative with my maiden flights).

However, one thing that eases my worry a little is that I've done build threads here. So even if the rocket is lost or destroyed, it's been well-documented and still exists in its own way as a forum artifact. Maybe that's weird, I dunno.

I'm one of those types that like building about as much as flying. I always figure that the first flight is the end of the build process and if everything goes N-1 on me, well, I have gotten to enjoy the time I spent building it. That's not to say there aren't any butterflies when the count approaches zero, though; quite the opposite!!!

That's me as well, although I think I enjoy building slightly more than flying. I'll always complete a rocket 100% before its first flight (I never fly naked) because for me I enjoy the process of completing a build. If I don't do it before the first flight, I may not get a chance to finish it!

P.S. ALWAYS get pictures!
However, one thing that eases my worry a little is that I've done build threads here. So even if the rocket is lost or destroyed, it's been well-documented and still exists in its own way as a forum artifact. Maybe that's weird, I dunno.

Yup! Once it's been completed, painted, documented, photos uploaded, the only thing left to do is "send it"!

I've decided in the abstract that destruction of a rocket I like is really just an opportunity to rebuild it better, because I enjoy building.

I agree.

I still hold to this philosophy after having crashed and wrecked a Saturn V, suffered two CATO's in my Mercury Atlas before its third flight was good, and shredded a high power rocket worth hundreds of dollars.
It's part of the hobby. Im the same way with my rockets, the fear of losing some scale models and crashes. I once flew a 29mm Phantom 4000 4.0 tube at 48 inches long , Black and White Checker Board paint job with a G reload. It was a beautiful rocket. It flew great and went Ballistic. You could hear the whistling of the fins before it hit the ground. Radio Control aircraft can be very costly,but they keep on fixing, flying and building more. I would like a R/C A6-E Intruder model to build and fly some day. They are fun to watch.

4.15X upscale Explorer Aquarius. I waited 3 years before I flew it. 4th flight CTI J520 catoed

Attachments

• 325489_2407474123306_946230832_o.jpg
    325489_2407474123306_946230832_o.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 414701_2407484723571_1352315261_o.jpg
    414701_2407484723571_1352315261_o.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 1936155_1043614107658_3143885_n.jpg
    1936155_1043614107658_3143885_n.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 1936155_1044004957429_4104829_n.jpg
    1936155_1044004957429_4104829_n.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 64
  • 1936155_1044005237436_3284181_n.jpg
    1936155_1044005237436_3284181_n.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 58
For me, it is not so much the rocket, but the electronics package - Twin Twin HD Cameras, Aim Xtra, Flightsketch, Wifi Controls, Single 7.4 LIPO to charge everything, custom sled - that I am worried about. You lose rockets - that is part of the hobby. Add up in your head the cost of the electronics package - Hesitant to launch that anywhere in PA (although I did make boosters just to get the package in the air to test it) We'll document how that goes on the "Moonshot II" thread.

What the hell is wrong with me? Having this beautiful electronics package put together (Twin Twin HD Cameras, Aim Xtra, Flightsketch, Wifi Controls, Single 7.4 LIPO to charge everything) and I'm afraid to put it in the bird it was intended for (8,000 ft MoonShot II) We are all a bit nuts, I guess, but this is stupid. What is wrong with me? I went so far as to make a purchase from Public Missiles today for parts just to barely get this unit in the air (1000 feet)

Some people take a truck load of pictures, write down every step of the process, make up a wacky cartoon story, pick up a secondary hobby collecting figurines, all so that when (expecting the worst, hoping for the best) their (my) smurf rocket blows up, at least there's something left and the next one (whoever builds it) will be easier. I think gaining experience is the priority. Don't forget to video the launch. Many people like to see expensive rockets explode.

I built a Neubauer 4” Mercury Redstone a looong time ago. Never got the courage to launch it. 😕 Then bumped it and it fell off the table and crinkled the top of the BT and screwed up the roll pattern. ☹️
Im thinking I should convert it to rail buttons and launch the bugger...

Before I say this, let me reiterate that I really do *not* want to lose any of my scratchbuilds, especially on the first flight (I'm very conservative with my maiden flights).

It's not really gone, you know, as long as we remember it...

Back