You are Never too old - Re-learning to Play Guitar

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Remember to pick up your guitar and practice!

I played 8 songs at the open mic last night. Slept in late. Hands are sore. I'm not fit for the life of a rock star. 🙃🚀

I brought the new/used Gretsch for the first time. People said they liked the sound. (I only hear all my mistakes!)

I didn't have time to practice something to play in memory of David Crosby. Two guys did an excellent job with "Southern Cross" by CSN. I played some Neil Young.

1674238842504.png

Hello Fellow Pick-ers,

I started on violin in 2nd grade. Changed to mandolin and piano in 7th grade. Took two semesters of music theory in college and loved it (probably the high quality of the professor). Picked up acoustic guitar after graduating from College in 1977, so that I could lead singing as a youth pastor during seminary. Kept with guitar ever since.

First guitar was a Gibson. Then added my first classical guitar. Somebody did a stage smash with an old solid wood harmony classic guitar that I found in a dumpster. Rebuilt it. Sounds fine to this day, but I've moved on. In that same dumpster, I also found a smashed Harmony solid wood fiddle-top/fiddle-back guitar. It took me a lot longer to rebuild it and had to add a sound peg (like in violins) in order to keep the arch-top front from collapsing. It has incredible harmonic overtones. But mostly, I play several Ovation guitars. I practice/play for fun almost every day. The college music theory classes still come in handy after all these years because I write my own guitar tabs.

As you can imagine, I play all the usual contemporary Christian music. Been playing guitar with the same church camp for 41 years now. I am counseling the children of kids I had as campers 40 years ago, which is so cool. Lately I've been discovering some old songs that are delightful to play on six strings: What a Wonderful World; The Autumn Leaves; Moon River; Shine On Harvest Moon; Dream a Little Dream of Me; We'll Meet Again; Tears in Heaven; Annie's Song; Fly Me to the Moon; and Stardust to name a few of my current favorites.

Playing guitar cools my mind and helps to gentle out the rough days in life. And yes, I have them too, but its hard to stay down playing and singing, What a Wonderful World.......... Oh Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Especially followed by I Can Only Imagine.

Brad

Hello Fellow Pick-ers,

I started on violin in 2nd grade. Changed to mandolin and piano in 7th grade. Took two semesters of music theory in college and loved it (probably the high quality of the professor). Picked up acoustic guitar after graduating from College in 1977, so that I could lead singing as a youth pastor during seminary. Kept with guitar ever since.

First guitar was a Gibson. Then added my first classical guitar. Somebody did a stage smash with an old solid wood harmony classic guitar that I found in a dumpster. Rebuilt it. Sounds fine to this day, but I've moved on. In that same dumpster, I also found a smashed Harmony solid wood fiddle-top/fiddle-back guitar. It took me a lot longer to rebuild it and had to add a sound peg (like in violins) in order to keep the arch-top front from collapsing. It has incredible harmonic overtones. But mostly, I play several Ovation guitars. I practice/play for fun almost every day. The college music theory classes still come in handy after all these years because I write my own guitar tabs.

As you can imagine, I play all the usual contemporary Christian music. Been playing guitar with the same church camp for 41 years now. I am counseling the children of kids I had as campers 40 years ago, which is so cool. Lately I've been discovering some old songs that are delightful to play on six strings: What a Wonderful World; The Autumn Leaves; Moon River; Shine On Harvest Moon; Dream a Little Dream of Me; We'll Meet Again; Tears in Heaven; Annie's Song; Fly Me to the Moon; and Stardust to name a few of my current favorites.

Playing guitar cools my mind and helps to gentle out the rough days in life. And yes, I have them too, but its hard to stay down playing and singing, What a Wonderful World.......... Oh Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Especially followed by I Can Only Imagine.

Brad
Brad,

Sounds like you need an "AXE" ( electric guitar ) now . . .

Dave F.

Guitar-Player-on-Fire-CROP.jpg

My wifes used to play bass guitar (before we met) and my son wanted to learb guitar (which we bought hime a long time ago). I have not played since high school, when I learned to play classical. All three of us are now taking lessons at the local Fret Shop. I'm really lov'n it so far, so much I picked up a cheap acoustic to go with my cheap electric. I picked up a nice, older, Yamaha Pacific, model PAC012DLX, and I just bought an Orangewood Oliver acoustic.

This is what my Yamaha Pacifica looks like; https://reverb.com/p/yamaha-pac012dlx-pacifica-deluxe-hss

And this is the Orangewood Oliver that I will get this Friday; https://orangewoodguitars.com/products/olivermahogany

Shoot, I have enough hobbies going to last 3-lifetimes, but something seemed right about re-learning the basic guitar. Anyone else play?

Another type of strings to look at is the D'ADDARIO "Balanced Tension" sets.

I use the "EXL120BT" model , consisting of #9, #12, #15, #22, #30, & #40 gauges.

https://www.daddario.com/products/guitar/electric-guitar/xl-nickel/exl120bt-nickel-wound-balanced-tension-super-light-09-40/

I am not a serious player ( I tried to be in high school - LOL ! ) . . .

Dave F.

Hey Dave, wanna thank you for hooking me up with the PSII Nike Smoke, I got the link and ordered one about an hour later.I'm a bit of a Nike freak so I had to jump on this, although I probably won't start work on it till later in the year.Haven't delved into mid power yet so I've got a lot of flying to do before this one goes up.

Hey Dave, wanna thank you for hooking me up with the PSII Nike Smoke, I got the link and ordered one about an hour later.I'm a bit of a Nike freak so I had to jump on this, although I probably won't start work on it till later in the year.Haven't delved into mid power yet so I've got a lot of flying to do before this one goes up.
You have a PM.

I have a home built Tele I made in college, also a 30 year old Takamine. I have gotten into Gretsch guitars lately, I have one of their 12 strings which is great.
IMG_0274.jpeg
Mostly I play acoustic in a church choir, but occasionally play with some other dads in the neighborhood.

Never too old to start, Jeff Bridges learned to play for a movie when he was 60, now he has recorded his own music and has his own Breedlove signature guitar. The guitar abides!

Back