You aint seen a cluster till you've seen this

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Through a little research on Thrust Curve , all those are equivilent to a Kosodon H470! :eek:

I've seen worse. I've seen a video (I think on discovery channel) of a rocket with easily over 50 D motors.

Another thing....I think there is some effect that happens when you cluster motors. The real flight performance of all the motors is less than if you added the motors together on paper. Some kind of dampening effect. Something probably to do with the exhaust coming off each motor interacting with each other. I hope someone could fill me in on the specific effect.

Just something I vaguley remember from like a yr or 2 ago. :rolleyes:

Awesome scale rocket and the exhaust still looks cool.

There have been several clusters way bigger than those. One was at LDRS IIRC. I can't find links but will post a few big cluster photos (not min, stoled from the web).

I think this is the guy that did the big cluster at LDRS this year. I don't know if it flew or not. This is an older rocket.

Those are awesome pics. I seem to remember a aqua kind of rocket with bp in pans to light the motors.

I can't seem to find the pics of this rocket in England. IIRC it had a big cluster of large motors, and then a ring of many Estes BP motors that appeared to be simply glued to a plywood ring. It was cool also.

Originally posted by Karl
I counted , 23x C motors & 6 D motors.

Well, I saw Primary Koncern which had something like an M, two Is two Gs and 80 Cs. That was pretty cool.

wow ! Where was that ?

I remember at UKRA2004 , Fat Albert , clusterd , Airstarts & dual deploy IIRC?
Karl

WOW! That thing is BIG! Was there a est alt? And what type of battery did he need to fire off all those ignitors?
Karl

WOW! That thing is BIG! Was there a est alt? And what type of battery did he need to fire off all those ignitors?
Karl

IIRC it was pretty low, and there was just onie igniter, in the M. There was, however, about a mile of quickmatch involved ;)

wow! I bet there was! So the flame of the M lit the quickmatch , and sorta' air started the BP motors?
Karl

Yeah, and the other AP too I think, but I'm sorta hazy on that. It was over four years ago.

Originally posted by rstaff3
I think this is the guy that did the big cluster at LDRS this year. I don't know if it flew or not. This is an older rocket.

Yep, Larry Drake of Omaha, NE. He flew the one in the pic at LDRS in 1999 ( I think) of the 288 A10-3s, 269 light. He flew a larger one with 316 D11s at LDRS in Kansas, only 138 motors light and it basicly crashed

Originally posted by xenon
Yep, Larry Drake of Omaha, NE. He flew the one in the pic at LDRS in 1999 ( I think) of the 288 A10-3s, 269 light. He flew a larger one with 316 D11s at LDRS in Kansas, only 138 motors light and it basicly crashed

Thanks for filling in the details.

Thanks rstaff3! I was waiting for someone to agree with me :rolleyes:

Awww, sorry Karl. It _is_cool. Don't think I've seen that many igniters on a rocket before!

lol it's ok :) I didn't think i've seen so many ignitors on a cluster either!
The thing that brought me to post the link here was that they only used one motorcylcle battery to fire all those ignitors! :p

Andy Woerner and company are getting ready to fly a huge Vostok3 on 20 Pro54's. Photo attached.

Anthony J. Cesaroni
President/CEO
Cesaroni Technology/Cesaroni Aerospace
https://www.cesaronitech.com/
(905) 887-2370 x222 Toronto
(410) 571-8292 Annapolis

I remember reading an old issue of Extreme Rocketry recently and there was a large N1 with 45 APCP motors, It flew 3 stages.
If I remember right all the motors where HPR.

Originally posted by Anthony Cesaroni
Andy Woerner and company are getting ready to fly a huge Vostok3 on 20 Pro54's. Photo attached.

Anthony J. Cesaroni
President/CEO
Cesaroni Technology/Cesaroni Aerospace
https://www.cesaronitech.com/
(905) 887-2370 x222 Toronto
(410) 571-8292 Annapolis

Sweet!

I'm sorry, I should have acknowledged you post before throwing my 2 cents in. Interesting thread so far :)

Back