Yo, TopRamen

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CORZERO

Reaction score
You posted in another Ground Support thread your discovery of a Makerbeam fitting nicely into a channel of a 1010 rail. I wanted to give you props for the pro tip! Bravo!

I already had a 1010 rail, so I hopped on Amazon and ordered the two pack 1500mm Makerbeam set. Both arrived undamaged.

I drilled and tapped three holes in the 1010 rail for a 10-24/.75" allen bolt. These are used on the opposite side to lock the Makerbeam in place. Added benefit with the hole placement is that I can adjust the height of the Makerbeam and really get launch height up there. When I am ready to throw on my MPR and HPR models with 1010 rail buttons, I simply remove the Makerbeam, load them and go!

You also mentioned that metal screws were the answer to the potential friction bind created by the micro-buttons. I recently placed a forty dollar order with railbuttons.com which included micro-buttons. I initially installed a pair on the Black Brant shown in the pictures and experienced the same drag issue. Concerned about performance, I took a trip to my friendly Ace Hardware and grabbed a handful of 2mm flat head wood screws and installed them. This was indeed the solution as the model now glides effortlessly within the channel. My screws are driven into wooden centering rings and protrude about 5mm from the surface of the airframe. This amount of distance however, allows the model side-to-side lateral movement on the rail, and if moved laterally far enough, will bind in the rail channel.

Question: You have launched LPR with this setup. Have you ever had a model bind in the rail during its acceleration off the rail? I haven't heard any make this complaint, including yourself, but thought I would ask.

Again, thank you for the brilliant idea!

20160721_120639.jpg20160721_120653.jpg20160721_120711.jpg20160721_120735.jpg20160721_120755.jpg20160721_120945.jpg20160721_121256.jpg20160721_122503.jpg20160721_122526.jpg

Last edited:
Well thank you! I'm glad someone likes the screws as much as I do!
I've never had any binding, and infact, have had a few launch before I even pressed the button. Just kidding ofcourse, but yeah, no problems at all. I use the machine thread screws, some CA in the threaded hole, then a little more CA when I thread them in for good.
I did accidentally measure the threads poorly on a 13mm bird, and they went far enough into the tube to snag on and sever my shock cord on ejection, which also kinked the screw out of alignment, but that was my fault.:facepalm:

I like the way the Makerbeam fits the 1010, as it protects the makerbeam from bending too.

Looks like a great set up you got there!

Last edited:
Sounds great! I have yet to fly anything with this setup and am looking forward to the results! I also use the 1010 rail to store the Makerbeams. I'll find a field somewhere tomorrow and launch the yet-to-be launched Black Brant on the mighty D12-7 and get some video which I will post soon. I'm using a Top Flight 12" crossform chute with a 6"x6" nomex sheet and about 10 feet of 1/8th inch kevlar cord. Hopefully the added weight vs the stock plastic flat chute and elastic cord doesn't bugger with the 7 second delay too much (never had a zipper, never want one). Perhaps I will grab some D12-5's to play with as well. I suppose I could weigh it and run a simulation or two...

Back