Yikes- Fire, sparks, and pops from my entertinment system...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is funny....at 1:25 the pit crew grabs the rear wing and they start dumping nitro into it....watch the crowd and the canvas tent when they do the 2 throttle blips.

[video]https://youtu.be/B7QGmsomid8[/video]

Exactly, once you experience visceral bass, you only then get to experience what it's like in real life to hear/feel the subsonic shaking of your body. Most people can hear down to 16hz which is a popular bottom note in pipe organs (yeah I know that there are more prominent overtones at 32 and 64hz to make up the sound you hear). Movie tracks contain lots of subsonic information. Trains,bombs, helicopters (they have large output at 7-8hz), as you have likely felt in a low fly over. If your small subwoofer rolls off its output below 20hz (like 90% of them do to protect the driver ), then you will miss the subsonic information. The sole purpose of the HT is to recreate the actual event, and why you pay lots of money to go see a huge screen that fills your peripheral vision, with large multiple speakers to the effect you could convince a blind man that the actual sounds are taking place in the room.
The old saying "Contentment is destroyed by comparison " applies here. Once you experience an IMAX THEATRE and then go home and watch it on your 32" tv and your Wal Mart stereo, your previous contentment is gone. Same with living somewhere that you never saw a rocket in your life that had a bigger motor than a C launch, then someone comes to town and lets you experience life with a P motor . From then on, your reference level is changed.

I understand the technical end of what you are saying. I understand visceral experience too. I also get the because I can and want to argument.

It is extreme for a home setup for sure. Cool it would be, and something I would love to hear.

No, my system is not Walmart. Conversely, my budget would not support the setup you have. Somewhere in between is where I reside. I have heard IMAX and love it. I also do not expect that in my home. I would not mind it if the budget allowed though.

Carry on in uber bass my man.

No, my system is not Walmart. Conversely, my budget would not support the setup you have. Somewhere in between is where I reside. I have heard IMAX and love it. I also do not expect that in my home. I would not mind it if the budget allowed though.

Carry on in uber bass my man.

Sorry Mark, as I didn't mean to imply that you had a Walmart system, I should have said your average Walmart system. I will have to add my disclaimer. ...I don't have a subwoofer anymore after selling my 8 ft long sub and 6 other pairs of speakers in the last downsizing after I became disabled. And my son is the designer and builder of the 24" subwoofer driver pictured above. His company is Stereo Integrity, and also has drivers ranging from 6"-24" for car and home use. I'm just an old bass fanatic who cannot get enough subwoofage.

A friend of mine was the head projectionist for an IMAX theater.
After hours we would go and play with the sound system having little listening parties where everyone brought a few of their favorite tracks.
You can walk inside the subwoofer - a slot-loaded design that is literally a concrete room lined on each side from floor to ceiling with cones....the man-door forming the "slot" for slot loading.

Sorry Mark, as I didn't mean to imply that you had a Walmart system, I should have said your average Walmart system. I will have to add my disclaimer. ...I don't have a subwoofer anymore after selling my 8 ft long sub and 6 other pairs of speakers in the last downsizing after I became disabled. And my son is the designer and builder of the 24" subwoofer driver pictured above. His company is Stereo Integrity, and also has drivers ranging from 6"-24" for car and home use. I'm just an old bass fanatic who cannot get enough subwoofage.

No offense taken. I would love to have used your 4x18 as the subwoofer for a serious bass guitar rig. That and a couple 4x10 cabinets.

Some of those sub drivers are outrageous. The structure and motors...wow.

I have some Koss ’koss fire’ speakers that I bought when I was 16 or 17 .. so like 35 years old now..The only thing that has carried forward from my youth. They are the forward left and right on a component 7.1 setup.

Have a Sony receiver and infinity for the 4 rears. Eventually will update but not til something breaks .. and it will be for 'form factor' not AVS fidelity. Think wall or ceiling flush mount spk , mini itx pc, genie mini , ect.. but need to update seating before committing to that also.

Kenny

1481998879764.jpg

1481998919384.jpg

1481998980986.jpg

Last edited:
This is funny....at 1:25 the pit crew grabs the rear wing and they start dumping nitro into it....watch the crowd and the canvas tent when they do the 2 throttle blips.

[video]https://youtu.be/B7QGmsomid8[/video]

Darn you Fred...I ended up watching 10 videos in a row of that stuff:eek:

I have some Koss ’koss fire’ speakers that I bought when I was 16 or 17 .. so like 35 years old now..The only thing that has carried forward from my youth. They are the forward left and right on a component 7.1 setup.....

My receiver will drive 7.1, but I'm only running a 5.1 system. Placement for the two rears will be tricky with my room. Is it a big enough difference, going from 5.1 to 7.1, to go to the expense and effort of adding the two rears?

Darn you Fred...I ended up watching 10 videos in a row of that stuff:eek:

LOL.....yeah, there's a bunch of "reaction" videos to Top Fuel......have you ever been to one? If not I recommend going if you can.....but be warned, it's one of those addictive things and you'll start going to every race. They come here twice a year, spring and fall. Make sure to get Pit Passes and sit on the pit side so you can wander through, meet drivers and watch the crew prep. There's nothing like a Top Fuel drag race. A crew boss told me that every time a cylinder fires, it's like a stick of dynamite going off.

I don't know that's the extra pair is worth the trouble in any place..
The only way the extra pair would really help is if you were in a huge room..
Other wise even if you're setting up from the beginning I thing you're much better off with a better sounding
main pair then a 3rd pair in a small to mid sized room where speakers will be close to each other...

You're sound will be better any day by having each individual piece a higher quality / end then by have more of them...

Teddy

Back