Yet more praise for Fliskits

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cydermaster

Reaction score
I recently purchased one of the new Drakes from Fliskits. Even though I'm having to deal direct with Jim in the States (a situation which has recently changed - [plug]thanks to Andy at Deepsky[/plug]), it arrived within a week, with its usual personal letter from Jim.

I got stuck in right away to building. As its my first 24mm model, I was doing things like using Epoxy for fin fillets etc, for the first time, and thourally enjoying it.

I reached the point, in the instructions, where the motor mount is inserted, using the time tested method of pushing it in with an old engine casing. Hmmmmm...... My 1st 24mm rocket = no spent motors!

I sent off to Deepsky for a pack of D12-5s, which arrived within a day or so. I ripped the pack open, took out a motor, spread the glue inside the bodytube, inserted the mount, used the engine to push it to the right place, and removed the engine. Errrr ........ the engine won't come out!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

After about 5mins of trying to extract the enigine, I decided that the priority was saving the unused engine. So I got out my trusty hobby knife, and preformed emergency surgery (see photo) :(

I e-mailed Jim @ Fliskits, to ask for a new bodytube and motor mount. After a few mails to, and from, each other; I got a mail to say that my (free of charge!!!) replacement tube, with motor mount installed ;) , had been shipped; and I recieved it yesterday.

I know its been said many times before, but what excellent service!!!! Thank you Jim. Makes you think; what a differant world we'd live in if companies like Microsoft et al. had this level of customer service.

To make the postage, from the States, more worthwhile, I ordered a 'Flea' at the same time. Neat little beast this one. I had a few mates round last night, and spent the night chatting, watching TV, and building my Flea - a most enjoyable evening. I finished the build last night, and should have it painted for launching on Tuesday (my birthday).

Glad we were able to help you out! :)

As I'm writing this, I'm looking at the email from Dan where he comments about building his Flea while watching TV with his mates. His comment about "...and they enjoyed watching a pile of balsa, and 'toilet paper' rolls turn into a rocket..." :p

I love that line! Because it really exemplifies our kits. When you buy a FlisKits model rocket kit you are NOT buying a model rocket. You are buying a model rocket KIT. That's why we're called FlisKITS instead of FlisRockets... :p :p

I try to explain to folks (who may not be *familiar* with "kits"), that our kits are essentially a bag of raw materials with instructions. Some assembly required, tools and imagination not provided... ;)

Now, Dan, let us see some pix of the construction! *S*

jim

Hi guys,
This might be a dumb question but does it matter whether or not the casing is spent or new when using it to push the motor mount in.Will a spent casing come out easier?

Originally posted by jflis
Now, Dan, let us see some pix of the construction! *S*

Errrr.... I didn't take many construction photos. I ment too, but I'd built it before I'd realised I'd not taken any photos! :rolleyes:

Heres the ones I did take, starting with the 'pile of balsa and toilet rolls' shot. ;)

Thats where I stopped taking photos. The next one (prompted by Jim's request) is the Flea drying, waiting for the decals to be put on (tomorrow), and the final top clear coat.

Good kit this - its going to go like the clappers. Glad its got a HUGE black streamer, so I stand a chance of spotting it on the way down.:D

Originally posted by Rockhiittman
Hi guys,
This might be a dumb question but does it matter whether or not the casing is spent or new when using it to push the motor mount in.Will a spent casing come out easier?

Rockhiittman,

Nope, doesn't matter, unless you get into the trouble cydermaster got into... it's one thing gluing a spent motor casing into a motor tube... quite another if you glue a $3.00 *live* motor into a motor tube... *S*

Other than that, there's no difference...

jim

oh, and NOT a dumb question, not at all. no such thing...

...then I remember this story (i had heard this and have actually used it to break the ice in classrooms... timing is everything...)... The teach comes into the room and writes on the black board "There is no such thing as a dumb question!", then starts his lecture. At the first raised hand he points and says "yes?" to which the student asks a questions. Deadpanned, the teach stares at the student then turns around and erases the board, looks at the class and asks "any more questions?"...

LOL sorry, couldn't resist... :D

Just an update on my Drake's progress.

Put the wings on yesterday, and filleted them with a drop of epoxy. First time I've done this on a real rocket (as opposed to practicing on some scrap balsa and an empty bog roll tube), and I'm very pleased with the results; a little messy, but not ugly. :D

Spent today putting the forward section on. Its drying now (see photo), in my kitchen. I was dreading this bit, but it went ok.

I'm just having a cup of tea, and then I'm going to get on with the Ram-Jet tube. Never built anything of this level, but its all going fine (now) - good kit Jim! :D

Thank you! (i think it's a good kit too, but then i beleive that i'm biased... :D )

Question though, i'm looking for some feedback on the Wing Gluing Jig. Does this help with construction of the wings? was it easy to use??

thanx again!
jim

Yes the gluing jig was a great help. The thinish card ment that it was a bit 'wobbly', when trying to put the bird on, but once it was in place, it made the job of putting the fins on a breeze :D

I did find, though, that I had to support the other end of the bodytube to keep it level - but that wasn't exactly hard to achieve. Typically, I neglected to take any photos of this stage, so I can't show you what I mean.

I also found that slipping a spent QUEST motor, into the Ram-Jet tube helped considerably with cutting the tube. Quest motors seem to be a touch smaller in the circunferance, so they slip in and out easily; and gives you a tiny bit of flexibleness in the tube, as its being cut, which I find makes things easier.

Update photo attached.

Back